Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 09:10 PM

66 posts, read 225,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stijl Council View Post
Just saw one today on the bottom floor of the Science Center, right next to the Cafe. Happy hunting!
OK I'm feeling really frustrated about this. I went to the Scinece Center today and saw the sculpture you mentioned. When you first described it as red with double helices I checked the Dino-Mite Days site and couldn't find it listed. I figured maybe you were mistaken or mis-saw something. But there it was, clear as day. I took some pics, came home and checked the web site again and guess what?! It's not on the list! It's not one of the original 100 sculptures! WTF!? Well, this is going to make things more interesting. I'll post a couple pics of it on my Flickr account soon. Thanks for the tip and a new twist in my hunt!! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.davon24 View Post
How are you guys missing the one just off the corner of Cardiac Hill and Fifth Ave. LOL? It sit back a lil and real close to the bus lane.
Thanks for the tip mr. davon, a street name would help immensely. What does it look like? I'll keep checking the googlemaps street view in the meantime. I know there used to one on the corner of Fifth and DeSoto, on Children's Hospital's lot, but it hasn't been there for a few years now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2009, 11:01 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,645,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nannyval View Post
I know there used to one on the corner of Fifth and DeSoto, on Children's Hospital's lot, but it hasn't been there for a few years now.
Maybe they moved it to the new hospital location in Lawrenceville.

Old 04-29-2009, 03:00 PM

149 posts, read 606,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post
I snapped a pic of the dinosaur on Steubenville Pike. It's the Transitsaurus! DinoMite Days: Joy Kolitsky (http://www.carnegiemnh.org/dinomite/designs/kolitsky.htm - broken link)

It's in front of Sunrise Accounting at 7882 Steubenville Pike, Imperial, PA. It's just a few miles west of the Robinson Town Center, just past the Oakdale Rd intersection on your right side.

I just saw that one on Sunday. Raced to the computer now that I'm back home in MN, but you beat me to it by a long time!

Old 04-29-2009, 03:06 PM

149 posts, read 606,990 times
Quote:
OK everyone, I didn't feel like copying and pasting dozens of times so I just made a flickr account to show off my dino pics. Here's the link, you should be able to view the Pittsburgh Dinosaurs set. If it doesn't work, please, let me know. I'll be adding more pics as we go, we've still got quite a few more sculptures to visit!
Flickr: nannyval32's Photostream (http://www.flickr.com/photos/nannyval/ - broken link)
Great pics! Thank you

Old 04-29-2009, 06:24 PM

374 posts, read 1,281,246 times
Quote:
OK I'm feeling really frustrated about this. I went to the Scinece Center today and saw the sculpture you mentioned. When you first described it as red with double helices I checked the Dino-Mite Days site and couldn't find it listed. I figured maybe you were mistaken or mis-saw something. But there it was, clear as day. I took some pics, came home and checked the web site again and guess what?! It's not on the list! It's not one of the original 100 sculptures! WTF!? Well, this is going to make things more interesting. I'll post a couple pics of it on my Flickr account soon. Thanks for the tip and a new twist in my hunt!! LOL

Thanks for the tip mr. davon, a street name would help immensely. What does it look like? I'll keep checking the googlemaps street view in the meantime. I know there used to one on the corner of Fifth and DeSoto, on Children's Hospital's lot, but it hasn't been there for a few years now.
I've given the street names.... I apologize I have given the wrong street names. It's located just off the corner of Mckee pl st and fifth Ave. It's right next door to a family Pharmacy.

I am not to sure of the Dinos name but I've walked pass it several times. I also spotted one at the corner of Forbes and Bellefield, it's the Pittsburgh board of educations corner.

Old 04-29-2009, 07:46 PM

Quote:
I've given the street names.... I apologize I have given the wrong street names. It's located just off the corner of Mckee pl st and fifth Ave. It's right next door to a family Pharmacy.

I am not to sure of the Dinos name but I've walked pass it several times. I also spotted one at the corner of Forbes and Bellefield, it's the Pittsburgh board of educations corner.
Thanks mr. davon, I just drove past there today and didn't see anything but I was driving down the right side of Fifth and looking mostly to the right. I'm not seeing it on googlemaps streetview either.....do you see it on the streetview? I guess I'll have to go back and look harder. Can you tell me what it looks like?

In the meantime, I still haven't uploaded the Science Center's dino yet but I did send off an E-mail to the Carnegie Museum asking about it, still waiting to hear back from them.......

Old 04-30-2009, 10:05 AM

2,488 posts, read 2,913,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
I think there is one on Blvd of the Allies downtown and one by the fountains/skating rink at PPG place.
I got a photo of him on that beautiful weekend a few weeks ago.

Old 04-30-2009, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Well, I got a response back from The Carnegie Museum regarding the Science Center's dino and it was a much more pleasant note than the first and here it is...

[LEFT]Hello -

That dinosaur was not a part of the Dinomite Days project and was never available for auction. It was a damaged blank statue that was purchased and repaired by Glaxo Smith Kline and painted by an artist friend. Its nickname is "DNA Dinosaur" and the company brings it out occasionally for special appearances.

The exhibits departments of the Carnegie Museums are completely separate and we have no knowledge of if or when the dinos will appear in each other's buildings - so unfortunately there's no way to predict when another one will show up!

We're glad you're having fun finding all of the dinos!

- Web Team
Carnegie Museum of Natural History[/LEFT]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomo.2000 View Post
I got a photo of him on that beautiful weekend a few weeks ago.
That is a great photo, when I visited they had him dressed for St. Patrick's Day with bagpipes and a painted castle scene in the background. I like the plain dino with a neutral background much better. Thanks Awesomo

Old 04-30-2009, 10:55 PM

374 posts, read 1,281,246 times
Quote:
Thanks mr. davon, I just drove past there today and didn't see anything but I was driving down the right side of Fifth and looking mostly to the right. I'm not seeing it on googlemaps streetview either.....do you see it on the streetview? I guess I'll have to go back and look harder. Can you tell me what it looks like?

In the meantime, I still haven't uploaded the Science Center's dino yet but I did send off an E-mail to the Carnegie Museum asking about it, still waiting to hear back from them.......

I placed a red circle of where it used to be. I believe the place that it's in front of is a dentist office.

Old 04-30-2009, 11:35 PM

356 posts, read 912,635 times
Quote:
I placed a red circle of where it used to be. I believe the place that it's in front of is a dentist office.
I wait for the bus there every work day. No dinosaur is currently present.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh