Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 05:27 PM

10 posts, read 46,406 times

Advertisements

Has this idea ever been tossed around as hosting an Indy car street course race? Pittsburgh could use the money income, IZOD could use the money, and the people of Pittsburgh could have a blast with an Indy car race around the streets of downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 01:28 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,377,605 times
I don't follow car racing. Is that something Chip Ganassi would have done if it was profitable here?
Target Chip Ganassi Racing

Old 02-08-2011, 07:08 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,987,872 times
I am thinking Pittsburgh wouldn't be a good place for such a venue. This is more of a NASCAR crowd because cars going in a circle is easier to understand. If you start going in different directions and not just making only left turns, that would be too confusing. Money for such racing is better spent in Europe in Formula where drivers are more interested in a cars handling and performance instead of how many cup holders are in them or how high they sit, so they are good for tailgating not caring if they don't stop well or handle at all. Best to stick to NASCAR in this area and we don't have a track that can handle a big venue.

Old 02-08-2011, 11:30 AM

22,594 posts, read 47,689,519 times
We LOVED going to Cleveland for their Indy car racing in the 80s and 90s....
it was at the airport, of all places.

Old 02-08-2011, 12:01 PM

264 posts, read 492,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I am thinking Pittsburgh wouldn't be a good place for such a venue. This is more of a NASCAR crowd because cars going in a circle is easier to understand. If you start going in different directions and not just making only left turns, that would be too confusing. Money for such racing is better spent in Europe in Formula where drivers are more interested in a cars handling and performance instead of how many cup holders are in them or how high they sit, so they are good for tailgating not caring if they don't stop well or handle at all. Best to stick to NASCAR in this area and we don't have a track that can handle a big venue.
How would you explain the road courses on the NASCAR circuit then? It has nothing to do with confusion....open wheel racing just isn't as popular in the US as it once was.

Baltimore is running an open wheel street race this summer though, so I'm not too sure why Pittsburgh couldn't do the same thing...I don't imagine either city has a very large contingent of fans of this type of racing, so it will be interesting to see how Baltimore's event fares. I'm not sure what kind of requirements the cars have as far as track dimensions, it could be possible that Pittsburgh's streets are too narrow for such an event.

There was talk a few years ago to put a NASCAR-sanctioned track in somewhere near the airport but those plans obviously fell through.

Old 02-08-2011, 01:24 PM

4,362 posts, read 6,534,302 times
Ever hear of the Vintage Gran Prix??

Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix Association (http://www.pvgp.org/pvgp/site/default.asp - broken link)

Old 02-08-2011, 08:42 PM

10 posts, read 46,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slamont61 View Post

Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix Association (http://www.pvgp.org/pvgp/site/default.asp - broken link)
Never heard of it but thanks for the link.
With NFL season over and patiently waiting for Indy cars to fire up it got me thinking.... why not Pittsburgh? Sure a lot of the streets are narrow, but those could be avoided, the fan base is another story though. Was just kickin out an idea to see if Pittsburgh has ever attempted such a thing.

Old 02-08-2011, 08:48 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,987,872 times
The Vintage Grand Prix is a fun little gathering. I have been many times and enjoy the car show as well. It isn't overly competitive and mostly for fun. Good time though.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:11 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,756,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slamont61 View Post

I was about to say.

Old 02-09-2011, 07:04 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,551,932 times
And the Man, Myron Cope was a big supporter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh