Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 08:51 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,013,252 times

Advertisements

I forgot to mention that shoring was done by experienced carpenters (neighbors and relatives) who were helping us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogslikeflies View Post
This is good advice! BUT we are probably moving in about 1.5- 2.5 years and although we generally try to do what is best for the property, we dont want to put a TON more money into the house than needed. Plus replacing the entire line would involve digging up the street to the main sewer... I have heard nothing but that this would add many thousands to the price?
We replaced all the clay pipe from our house to the property line. We didn't dig up the street. I can't remember if we left clay pipe in the street or if they were able to burrow the last few feet. But I know what was under the street wasn't our main concern since we knew the township was replacing sewer lines in the near future. The township replaced the main sewer lines in our neighborhood two years later.

One of the main reasons you want to get rid of those clay pipes is rats can access the house when they break. We installed some sort of contraption that allows sewage to flow out of the house, but nothing can get into the house.

Old 04-03-2009, 09:53 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,526,995 times
Not sure about the city but in O'Hara you have a dye test done to your sewer lateral and it must pass in order to sell your house. In our area every sewer lateral fails the test and you, the seller, must fix it before you can sell it. I know the city has a sewer lateral ordinance but I don't know the specifics. Check with the Pittsburgh Water and Sewer Authority about this. You might be better off spending some money now than more money down the road. Their number is 412-255-0801.

Old 04-03-2009, 10:15 AM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,272 posts, read 3,706,668 times
Yes - they also test the lateral lines in North Huntingdon Township - you have to pass the dye test before you can sell the house. It has created quite a controversy:

North Huntingdon Township Municipal Authority Sewer Replacement Information

Old 04-03-2009, 10:22 AM

Shaler does the dye test too. Perhaps I'm confused as to what the dye test actually does. I thought the dye test was to make sure storm run off from our gutters doesn't go into the sewer lines. There's no way they could tell if a sewer was leaking with a dye test (because the dye would go into the soil, not the sewer lines.) So, I think the dye test is to make sure that excess water from storm drainage through downspouts (that doesn't need to go to the treatment plant) doesn't get into waste water sewers.

Old 04-03-2009, 10:31 AM

2,458 posts, read 4,202,537 times
Quote:
Our property is above street level with a retaining wall so it was approximately 6 feet deep on one side and eight to ten feet deep on the other side. It's about 16 feet from the house to the property line.
Wow. Now I'm even more impressed.

I'm glad to hear you used shoring. (Although, the ideal solution is what they call a "trench box" which can be placed in the hole as a single unit. Technically, you're at risk when you're in the hole, putting the shoring in place. People do get killed sometimes.)

Quote:
One of the main reasons you want to get rid of those clay pipes is rats can access the house when they break.
Not to discount any experience you may have had, or to make anything scarier than it already is, but the rats, if around, are already in the main sewer. They don't need your lateral to be broken.

Quote:
the whole line was clay junk and needed replaced.
The fact that a line is clay pipe, in and of itself, doesn't mean it's junk. There's still plenty of clay pipe around that's giving good service, at an age that any of us would be lucky enough to live to. It has its disadvantages, mostly in that plastic is so much easier to work with. Many of the problems you'll find in the old clay pipe stems from the way it was installed, and the fact that a hundred years ago it was the best technology available. The more modern a clay pipe is, the better the chance that it won't be a problem. I mention this only so that nobody reading this thread thinks that they need to replace a clay sewer pipe, unless/until they actually have a problem with it.

Quote:
Plus replacing the entire line would involve digging up the street to the main sewer... I have heard nothing but that this would add many thousands to the price?
Yeah. You want to avoid going into the street, if at all possible.

A couple of other considerations...

As mentioned above, be sure of the location of your other utilities. It was not uncommon for plumbers in the old days to throw the water service line into the ditch on top of the sewer line. You can't do that today, but back then, it happened.

If you're going to be near the sidewalk, the city requires a permit to dig there. In the street, another one, along with a bond.

Don't neglect to make a call for utility locations. Pennsylvania One Call System, Inc. Actually, your plumber should be well familiar with this. If the digging is limited to only on your property, it might not be a factor, but many people are not aware of utility rights-of-way that might exist in what they think is their own front or back yard.

Quote:
Not sure about the city but in O'Hara you have a dye test done to your sewer lateral and it must pass in order to sell your house.
I'm not sure about the city either, but the purpose of those dye tests is (generally speaking, cause every municipaity may be different), to be sure that no french drain water or rain water is entering the sanitary sewer system. I'll say with 99.95 certainty, that in frogslikeflies' neighborhood, the sewers are combination sewers. The rainwater all runs into the sanitary sewers already. (City taxpayers, you don't even want to think about the cost of separating those systems, if it should ever come to pass.)

Old 04-03-2009, 10:31 AM

You are correct - there is a dye test that makes sure storm drainage doesn't get into the sewage. There is also a different dye (and sometimes smoke) test that makes sure that your lateral sewer line isn't leaking or getting infiltrated by rainwater.

Old 04-03-2009, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny C View Post
You are correct - there is a dye test that makes sure storm drainage doesn't get into the sewage. There is also a different dye (and sometimes smoke) test that makes sure that your lateral sewer line isn't leaking or getting infiltrated by rainwater.
Thank you! I knew I wasn't crazy about the storm drainage being the purpose for the dye.

The smoke seems to be the most logical way to see if there is a break in the sewer line.

I know my township only checked storm drainage, nothing else. Maybe that's changed.

Old 04-03-2009, 10:47 AM

They do a lateral line video inspection in North Huntingdon. The issue over there is rainwater seeping through the ground and getting into the lateral sewer lines (because they are cracked / broken).

The sewage plant gets overwealmed by water during heavy rains, so they are cracking down.

Old 06-18-2009, 05:23 PM

1 posts, read 9,961 times
Can anyone tell me how Ohara township can justify having the homeowner pay for sewer replacement past the property line? Under a township or county maintained road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh