Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 09:47 AM

48 posts, read 145,924 times

Advertisements

I am starting a new job in Pittsburgh on Monday in downtown, in the One Mellon Center building. I have never been there and only have 1 week to find an apartment.
The people that I talked to said to live in downtown or close to it to where I can take public transportation (they said the traffic is very bad). They mentioned that a lot of people live on Greentree Road.

Is that a good area to live in? What are some good apartment buildings where I should go look?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 09:49 AM

29,737 posts, read 34,357,220 times
What kind of neighborhood do you want to live in? Urban or Suburban? What other amenities are important besides public transportation? If you can narrow it down a little, we can be of more help.

Old 04-03-2009, 09:52 AM

1,183 posts, read 2,144,894 times
Greentree Road is about 4 miles from Downtown and only one bus goes there that I know, which comes every 30 minutes. That may or may not be what you're looking for, but there are many, many more convenient options.

What are you looking for in a place to live? Would you prefer it to be purely residential or busier, with commerce, etc? What do you do on weekends? What is your price range?

Old 04-03-2009, 09:52 AM

It doesn't matter what kind of area to me really... just as long as it is close to One Mellon Center or close to the transportation to where I can get there pretty fast. They said that traffic is very bad there and parking is $24/day.. so definitely close enough so I would not have to park..

Other amenities -- close to shopping, grocery stores, etc.. I like to be close to a lot of things rather than far out if that makes sense..

Old 04-03-2009, 09:53 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,051,501 times
I can only speak for the East Side. If you look for an apartment in the neighborhood of Shadyside, you have the East Busway, where you can hop on the bus and it'll have you downtown in 5 minutes flat. (no cars allowed on the busway..only buses). Shadyside has clothing shops, grocery stores, food establishments, entertainment. Its a pretty nice neighborhood.

Old 04-03-2009, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steindle View Post
Greentree Road is about 4 miles from Downtown and only one bus goes there that I know, which comes every 30 minutes. That may or may not be what you're looking for, but there are many, many more convenient options.

What are you looking for in a place to live? Would you prefer it to be purely residential or busier, with commerce, etc? What do you do on weekends? What is your price range?
Id live in both residential and also would live in an apartment mixed in with commerce. Price range would be about 900 maximum. Looking for a 1 bedroom apartment.

Old 04-03-2009, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Mizz Pittsburgh View Post
I can only speak for the East Side. If you look for an apartment in the neighborhood of Shadyside, you have the East Busway, where you can hop on the bus and it'll have you downtown in 5 minutes flat. (no cars allowed on the busway..only buses). Shadyside has clothing shops, grocery stores, food establishments, entertainment. Its a pretty nice neighborhood.
Sounds nice... do you know how much 1 bedrooms go for around there? Any particular apartment complexes I should look at?

Old 04-03-2009, 10:01 AM

29,737 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Dormont is about as far away from downtown as Greentree, is on the light rail line, and has a nice little business district. It might be worth looking into as well.

Old 04-03-2009, 10:04 AM

15 posts, read 56,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Mizz Pittsburgh View Post
Yes, if you live anywhere near Negley Station in Shadyside you will have a ridiculously fast commute to downtown. There are also surrounding areas such as Bloomfield, Friendship, Lawrenceville, Squirrel Hill, which while not as accessible to the busway will all have buses that go downtown. Really any city neighborhood is going to have a bus downtown, it just depends on how long of a ride you are willing to take. With $900 to spend on a 1-bedroom you should be able to have a pick of decent apartments. Shadyside and Squirrel Hill are more expensive than other areas, but of course in Pittsburgh, "expensive" housing is relative. Both areas are a little out of my price range but from what I've seen on Craigslist you should be able to find something at or under $900.

In addition to any areas labeled as "bad" on various threads here, I wouldn't recommend living in Oakland unless you like the college student lifestyle.

Old 04-03-2009, 10:05 AM

1,183 posts, read 2,144,894 times
Haha, welcome to Pittsburgh: For $900/mo you can live like a king. I live in a two-bedroom HOUSE for $700/mo.

For $900 you could probably find a very nice place in Shadyside where you would be close to the aforementioned East Busway, which would be literally a 10-15 minute bus ride from Downtown (5 minutes is a bit of an exaggeration).

Shadyside's not really my bag, but there's a whole lot to do there. You'll be very close to all manner of shopping -- restaurants, grocery stores, clothing, anything -- on Walnut Street, Ellesworth Street, and the increasingly packed "East Side" complex (soon with a Target). It's a good place to get your footing in Pittsburgh if you're from elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh