Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2007, 09:27 PM

2 posts, read 19,777 times

Advertisements

I live in Austin and I am moving to Pittsburgh in the Fall to go to the University of Pittsburgh and am wondering where I should look to live. I would prefer a small 2 bedroom house (I have a small dog), but an apartment would suffice. My main concern is commuting to campus. I have a car, but would prefer to use public transportation. I would like a student affordable area. Also, I am looking for an area with (or within a short distance from) things like: thai and/or indian resturaunts, small music venues, markets, bookstores, etc. Also, where are the bike friendly areas? Basically, I would like to find an area that feels kind of like home. Anyone have an idea where I should be looking? I am visiting Pittsburgh this summer for a week or so to look for a place so I want to get an idea where I should search. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2007, 10:02 PM

2,902 posts, read 10,068,580 times
yeldarb have you been to Oakland, yet? The home of Pitt? Truthfully, it has everything you're looking for. There are far more interesting and eclectic places to get the same thing, though, if you want. There are many houses you can rent in a few areas around and in oakland, most quite reasonable. There are several Thai places very close to Pitt. What kind of market?

Bike trials litter the city, too. I would maybe look for a house in Friendship (it has a lot of interesting art and music exhibits and venues) and are inexpensive. Bloomsfield you could look into, and there are tons of streets in around Oakland. You will probably be overwhelmed.

Old 03-28-2007, 10:15 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,115,902 times
If you look at one of the recent threads, you'll see we had quite a good discussion about bike riding.

And, yes lots of good neighbourhoods.

I can't remember which neighbourhood, but one has a fine, like mighty fine, Asian restaurant with Thai, et al.

Small in size; side street. I'll have to put on my thinking cap.

Old 03-28-2007, 10:26 PM

2,902 posts, read 10,068,580 times
There is Thai Place in Oakland and Shadyside. There is Thai Me Up in the southside (I think it's still there). There is a really expensive gourmet place on Highland Ave called Typhoon and another on Liberty called Thai Gourmet.

That's that I can think of at the top of my head

Old 03-29-2007, 08:16 AM

632 posts, read 1,739,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boylocke View Post
There is Thai Place in Oakland and Shadyside. There is Thai Me Up in the southside (I think it's still there). There is a really expensive gourmet place on Highland Ave called Typhoon and another on Liberty called Thai Gourmet.

That's that I can think of at the top of my head
Also Bangkok Balcony on Forbes in Squirrel Hill.

Old 03-30-2007, 08:01 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,115,902 times
The restaurant I was thinking of is Spice Island Tea House (253 Atwood St).

I always found the food great and while the place is very small, we've managed to get in without much of a wait.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh