Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 03:26 PM

3 posts, read 29,193 times

Advertisements

I was wondering about some local urban legends. The only one I know of is the B-52 in the Mon. Are there any others that you all are familiar with?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 03:53 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,053,366 times
We were discussing this one in the FAMOUS PITTSBURGHERS thread, but the only one I know of is Lena Horne supposedly being a prostitute in the Hill District back in the days when the Hill District used to be vibrant.

Old 04-07-2009, 04:18 PM

119 posts, read 460,288 times
My dad grew up in the South Hills in the 50's and 60's, and tells me about supposed 'Green Man' sightings down around South Park. The Green Man was a real guy from up near Beaver Falls who had a very disfigured face, but he sort of morphed into a region-wide urban legend/ boogey man.

Old 04-07-2009, 04:37 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
I remember the Green Man sighting, pretty funny. But it happened in Wilmerding, so you got it all wrong.

The B-52 in the Mon is NOT an urban myth. It happened.

Mystery in the Mon - Search for the Pittsburgh B-25 Ghost Bomber

Old 04-07-2009, 04:40 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,053,366 times
I don't know how many people on here are familiar with the "Real World" on MTV, but rumor always had it that MTV did indeed film a REAL WORLD - PITTSBURGH series here...the house, with the 7 room-mates, was supposedly up on Mount Washington, and supposedly MTV scrapped it, because there wasn't enough 'drama'. Don't know how true that is.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:05 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by endless endless View Post
I was wondering about some local urban legends. The only one I know of is the B-52 in the Mon. Are there any others that you all are familiar with?
If you want to call ghost stories urban legends -- the Catholic Church in Millvale is haunted by a priest, who just wants to keep an eye on things.

Some where in North Park there's a Gravity Hill -- where you stop your car, stick it in neutral and the car starts rolling up the hill.

Outside Evans City, there's a road the kids call Manuke Road. When you go down the road at night, if you stop to light a joint, you have to offer to share with the Manukes. If you don't, they'll come after you.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:14 PM

19 posts, read 60,282 times
There's the one about Pittsburgh being "the most livable city".

Old 04-07-2009, 08:17 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimbler View Post
There's the one about Pittsburgh being "the most livable city".

Wow, I never heard that one a'nat

Old 04-07-2009, 09:51 PM

2,458 posts, read 4,204,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COPANUT View Post

Just to point out the mistake, twice repeated here, but printed correctly in the link--it was a B-25.

The B-25 Mitchell was a WWII era twin (propellor) engine bomber. The B-52 Stratofortress is an 8 engine jet bomber, originally built in the 50s. Some are still in service today. The 52 is about three times as big as the 25. It would be a lot harder to not find a B-52...

One that probably most people have not heard, about the slag dump at Nine Mile Run (now Summerset at Frick Park), is that there is a railroad steam locomotive buried there. Some say as many as five of them. I don't know whether that's true or not, but I've been told by a source I deem to be credible, that there is a bulldozer buried out there somewhere.

There's also an urban legend that there's an unfortunate construction worker entombed in the concrete of the Westinghouse bridge. Can anybody verify that one?

On edit: Hey! That B-25 crash wasn't far from the slag dump. I wonder if they.... ?

Nah.

Old 04-08-2009, 07:09 AM

3 posts, read 29,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COPANUT View Post
I remember the Green Man sighting, pretty funny. But it happened in Wilmerding, so you got it all wrong.

Right, sorry, I didn't mean "urban legend" as in "didn't happen" but in the sense that it's a legend that gets speculated about/passed on to other Pittsburghers. I was just wondering about other types of urban legends Pittsburgh might have. And yes ghost stories count, any kind of legend really.

Thanks for the replies, guys. But please, please do not turn this into a fight about whether Pittsburgh is liveable. I don't care. I am just wondering about urban legends. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh