Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 09:25 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,496,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by guylocke View Post
I have lived downtown for over five years now and I can't help but noticing a funny fact.

My boyfriend works in retail and he knows so many companies that have had their eyes on Pittsburgh for a while, including Armani Exchange, Louis Vuitton, Coach, Tiffany, and many more. But many high-end stores that have taken a chance with Pittsburgh all over the city, including Robinson, Pittsburgh Mills, and SouthSide Works are really struggling. Pittsburghers just do NOT want to pay big bucks for ultra designers. I guess we just don't care enough and it's definitely known throughout the high-end industry. Pittsburgh is a major gamble when it comes to high fasion.

And then you have food. Do you have ANY idea how many new and EXPENSIVE places to eat have opened on every single side of the city from SouthSide, to Oakland, to the Northshore, to StationSquare, to Downtown, to North Hills, to Pittsburgh Mills, to Mt. Washington and ON AND ON AND ON and even bigger ones yet to come!!!

And do you see how crazy PACKED THEY ARE ALMOST ALL THE FREAKING TIME???????

My god, a Pittsburgher won't spend a few hundred bucks for a Coach bag but has no problem plopping down $80 bucks for the best steak of your life!

LOL
Just thought I'd bring this thread back. Anyone have any idea if we're still getting an A/X or Crate & Barrel here in Pittsburgh yet? I hope so! Anyone hear anything else about Ross Park (other than LV, Burberry, True Religion, and the others recently announced) or Settlers Ridge??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2008, 11:25 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,917,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valleygal View Post
People here are conservative. People with money don't feel a ened to flaunt it, not that buying a quality handbag or shoes or a suit is really flaunting it! I worked for a billionaire (really, no exageration!) who carried her papers in a diaper bag instead of a briefcase, because it was so practical, and drove herself around in a 10,000 car. She had a great house, but not the best I've ever been in. But seh was generous, in so many, many ways.

At one time I was plannign on making a fairly significant purchase (for my business) and the VENDOR advised me against it as being "too upscale" for this market. He said, and I found this to be true, that Kansas, Omaha, and parts of West Virginia were more than Pittsburgh.

As to eating out - sure we out - but I suspect it's at moderately priced restaurants and grills than expensive restaurants.

I know I spend far less on clothing here than when I lived in Philly or NYC. Trends don't seem to weigh in much here once you are out of your 20's. I think that's one of the great things about our area - people spend moey on their children, and families instead.
And this down-to-earth mentality is one of the things I loved about Pittsburgh; this even applied to the peer college kids who go there. But back to the OP's post, I honestly that in places like Pittsburgh, our character and worth aren't judged solely by what we wear, even though us youngsters do wear preppy and fashionable clothing from time to time. For me, this is a breath of fresh air and a welcoming change compared to where I came from. As for the food, Pittsburghers have a thing with food, especially those that are considered unhealthy. But honestly I liked every bit of it, from the authentic ethnic cuisines in South Shore and Squirrel Hill to the calorie-filled joints in Oakland and the Strip District.

And to the person who said the average Pittsburghers was spending $80 on food, you must've never eaten in this city. The large amount of food you get for low prices is among the best in the country.

Old 07-01-2008, 12:07 AM

2,902 posts, read 10,069,039 times
I think Crate & Barrel is all but confirmed for Ross Park but I hadn't heard about an A|X yet. Keep your fingers crossed!!

Old 07-01-2008, 01:27 PM

85 posts, read 286,683 times
I'll add to this and say that the people who do have money here tend to be more discrete. Either they are old money and embarrassed by showing off, or came from blue collar families before going to law school.

To me it's a sign of a healthy community. There was a time when even a well-off family had one TV and one car.

PS: I tend to dress well and when I was single a lot of girls looked at me suspiciously like I was gay or a pretty boy. Honestly I found it annoying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh