Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 11:41 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times

Advertisements

You mentioned Baden briefly. It wouldn't be a bad commute to Moon, and I know someone who commuted from there to downtown, so I'd say it's doable. I have no idea about the quality of schools there. it's Beaver County, so taxes will be lower.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2007, 12:16 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Islander View Post
I am in the process of moving to Pittsburgh from Long Island, NY and I am totally and completely confused about how to find an affordable area with good schools, that won't have me driving a hour to work in rush hour traffic.

Everytime I think I have found something great I find out something bad about it (Penn Hills, New Kensington, Sheraden). One place I really liked was Shaler. But I'm not from the area so what do I know!!

I have a family and the school district is very important to me. The safetly of the area is also very important as I assume it would be to anyone with a family. My husband will be working in Downtown Pittsburgh and my job is in the area of Moon/ Coroapolis (sure that's spelled wrong).

How is the Moon area? I also looked in Baden but was told that it's off the beaten track and would make commuting tough. Any suggestions on areas that seem like a good fit would be greatly appreciated.
One thing about crime... almost all the areas you look at have their own police department and police departments almost always have a community liaison. You probably don't want to call a ton of police departments, but when you narrow it down to one or two places, you can call the community liaison (look for community relations officers or something similar) and ask about the areas.

I know when we bought our house (Oakland, CA) we went to the police department and saw maps of what was going on in our area. Very handy. It helped us make the right decision -- our area looks WAY rougher than it is.

Old 04-03-2007, 11:34 AM
gfh

2 posts, read 7,298 times
I lived in the City and commuted to Moon for 10 years. Moon has a good school system and housing prices have dropped since USAirways left the area. If you are working in Moon and your husband is downtown, it would be best to live North or West (Moon, Robinson, etc.) of the city. (I'm moving to the North Hills next month.)

Housing is cheaper in Pittsburgh than most other regions. However, watch the property and local wage taxes. The City of Pittsburgh has low property taxes (terrrible schools) and high wage taxes. Mt. Lebanon has low wage and very high property taxes. Closing costs in PA are also higher because of all the taxes thrown at you.

Old 04-03-2007, 08:27 PM

20 posts, read 144,274 times
I would second Robinson Twp. if you will be working in Moon and your husband will be working Downtown. Both commutes should only be about 1/2 hour or so depending on traffic. There's also plenty of shopping, the school district (Montour SD/Carlynton High) is fine, and you should be able to find whatever you want for 130K-170k. Also, you have very easy access to the Parkway and the city as well as I-79 and the airport. There are also quite a few back roads that will make getting around a lot easier once you learn them.

Taxes in Allegheny Co. will be higher than in any of the surrounding counties, but will be nothing compared to what you pay on LI.

Shaler is a nice place with good schools, but getting from there to Moon is a real pain and will take much longer than it should given the distance. New Ken/Lower Burrel is clear on the other side of the city and will be a nightmare of a commute. Those probably are not the best options for you.

Old 04-06-2007, 05:48 PM

7 posts, read 21,516 times
Post Plum Boro's looking good.

I have been really searching Alleghany for a nice house in a safe area w/ good schools that I can afford. I came across Plum Boro. The houses are beautiful and the prices are great. How are the schools? Is this a safe area and how would the commute be to Moon which is where I'll be working or Downtown which is where my husband will be working?

I appreciate any help on this, I am becoming increasingly discouraged w/ the search. Too far away, too much money, bad area ughh. How does the saying go? " It's always something." My mother is considering moving to Pittsburgh as well to help w/ the kids and she fould some really nice properties in Penn Hills how is that area?

When I got my job I was looking in the Penns Hills area and I was told by the recruiter about the horrendous tunnel traffic I would battle living in Penns Hills and working in Moon. He said that only someone who lives in the area would know those kind of facts. Is it really that bad??

Thanks Guys..

Old 04-06-2007, 06:07 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
I have been really searching Alleghany for a nice house in a safe area w/ good schools that I can afford. I came across Plum Boro. The houses are beautiful and the prices are great. How are the schools? Is this a safe area and how would the commute be to Moon which is where I'll be working or Downtown which is where my husband will be working?
I'm sorry to break the news to you but a commute from Plum to Moon would be crazy depending on which part of Plum you buy a house. The farther edges of Plum are double the distance to moon than Shaler to Moon. For the areas of Plum that are closer, add 15 to 20 minutes to the commute times I gave you for Shaler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Islander
My mother is considering moving to Pittsburgh as well to help w/ the kids and she fould some really nice properties in Penn Hills how is that area?
Penn Hills is only one township closer than Plum. If I had to chose between the two, I like Plum better. Penn Hills has been sort of going down hill over the past couple of decades.

Quote:
When I got my job I was looking in the Penns Hills area and I was told by the recruiter about the horrendous tunnel traffic I would battle living in Penns Hills and working in Moon. He said that only someone who lives in the area would know those kind of facts. Is it really that bad??
Unless he's talking about the parkway west tunnel at Squirrel Hill, the recruiter doesn't know what he's talking about. You can come down route 28 and take the Fort Pitt tunnels. The traffic going through the Fort Pitt tunnels wouldn't be bad because you'd be going against traffic. But the traffic at the Squirrel Hill tunnels does get bad----just avoid them and take route 28 instead of the parkway west. And keep in mind that bad is relative. Many people coming here from big cities don't think our traffic is bad at all---when it's at it's worse for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Islander
I appreciate any help on this, I am becoming increasingly discouraged w/ the search. Too far away, too much money, bad area ughh. How does the saying go? " It's always something."
Perhaps you should look outside of Allegheny County. Since you're going to be working in Moon, and your husband will be working downtown, you could live in Washington County, Butler County or Beaver County. The farther you go away from Pittsburgh (outside of Allegheny County) the more affordable properties get and the taxes are lower too.

Old 04-09-2007, 10:19 AM

2,902 posts, read 10,069,661 times
Plum is a growing and booming little town, albeit still rural atm. It will be one of the next "large" bustling metro's of Pittsburgh. A lot of Monroeville business is eyeing the area as Monroeville is slowly bleeding to death. It would be a good option for you except the commute. The commute would probably be about 45 to 50 minutes.

Old 04-16-2007, 06:55 PM

2,902 posts, read 10,069,661 times
Tallysmom I had a dream about you the other night and I don't even know you! haha. We got new neighbors next door and they had a little girl that I was playing with. All of a sudden I looked down and her T-Shirt said "TALLYMOM" and I was excited and asked her how she knew that name.

DO YOU KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS??

I'm on Pittsburgh City-Data Forums too much.......

Old 04-16-2007, 08:44 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
So -- do we just hit the little "alert" icon at the top of the post and report him as being back and harrassing again?
That's what ontheroad and I have been doing.

Old 04-17-2007, 12:43 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boylocke View Post
Tallysmom I had a dream about you the other night and I don't even know you! haha. We got new neighbors next door and they had a little girl that I was playing with. All of a sudden I looked down and her T-Shirt said "TALLYMOM" and I was excited and asked her how she knew that name.

DO YOU KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS??

I'm on Pittsburgh City-Data Forums too much.......
That's okay -- from your first posts I thought you had to be my nephew... so that almost kinda makes us related...

Here's a pic of me and Baby, when she was a baby....

And I changed it to Ashley and me -- in the Baby pic my face was all red -- my rosacea was acting up...
Attached Thumbnails
Moving to Pittsburgh from NY. So Confused, Ugh...-000_0114.jpg  

Last edited by Tallysmom; 04-17-2007 at 12:48 AM.. Reason: To take out the really bad pic!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh