Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 08:09 AM

1,183 posts, read 2,134,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Please look up laws for bikes currently in place in Idaho
Here, I did it for you.

Bicycles, Rolling Stops, and the Idaho Stop on Vimeo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 08:18 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,155,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steindle View Post
Please look up the laws, not videos intended to give an emotional response.

I advocate bikes running stop signs and red lights, but never if it causes a car or pedestrian to change what they do.

My attitude only works if a bike always yields to those who have the green light.

Tell me, what exactly is so wrong about that? If it does not affect you, why do you care if I run a red light?

Old 04-28-2009, 09:23 AM

1,183 posts, read 2,134,550 times
Quote:
Please look up the laws, not videos intended to give an emotional response.
I don't even know how to respond to this. First off, you're being condescending toward someone who is attempting to agree with you. An inspired tactic. I'm not looking anything up for you, thanks.

Secondly, the video discusses the law and explains its rationale. I don't even see an "emotional" element to this video. It is purely factual. Video is a more passive (and thus generally preferable) manner of learning about something than actively reading (which people often won't go out of their way to do). So I thought it would be the appropriate medium for communicating the reasoning for Idaho's laws. I'm sorry that it doesn't go line by line through the law -- I'm sure that would be incredibly compelling for detractors.

In any case, good luck fighting this battle with such a sour attitude.

Old 04-28-2009, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steindle View Post
I don't even know how to respond to this. First off, you're being condescending toward someone who is attempting to agree with you. An inspired tactic. I'm not looking anything up for you, thanks.

Secondly, the video discusses the law and explains its rationale. I don't even see an "emotional" element to this video. It is purely factual. Video is a more passive (and thus generally preferable) manner of learning about something than actively reading (which people often won't go out of their way to do). So I thought it would be the appropriate medium for communicating the reasoning for Idaho's laws. I'm sorry that it doesn't go line by line through the law -- I'm sure that would be incredibly compelling for detractors.

In any case, good luck fighting this battle with such a sour attitude.

I am sorry if I misinterpreted your tone. This is a problem with the internet, it is so easy to take things the wrong way. If I did, I apologize.

Old 04-28-2009, 11:46 AM

487 posts, read 1,375,453 times
Quote:
It is safer for everyone.
I'm with hnsq on this one. If I reach a red light and there are no cars coming, I go. It's safer than waiting until the light turns green, at which point you are contending with both on-coming traffic as well as traffic travelling in the same direction as you (and often behind you). Both can be lax in properly using turn signals.

So while it might seem initially counter-intuitive, it really is safer for everyone (assuming, of course, that you yield to those who have the green light and proceed with caution!)

Last edited by bboy36win; 04-28-2009 at 11:54 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 04-28-2009, 04:33 PM

4,275 posts, read 7,596,910 times
Quote:
Yes I am.
And why should bicycle riders be above the law???

Old 04-29-2009, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre View Post
And why should bicycle riders be above the law???
Please read what has already been posted in the thread and if you still have any questions let me know.

Old 06-04-2009, 02:17 PM

29,627 posts, read 34,093,605 times
Bike Pittsburgh » Car Free Fridays

You can get vouchers for discounts and free food next Friday.

Old 06-05-2009, 01:39 PM

425 posts, read 955,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
I don't care if you think I'm stupid but I think bikers should use the sidewalks in many areas. It's not like people use them much in much outside of about 8 neighborhoods anyways.
In NYC, we have quality of life laws and it is actually illegal to ride your bike on the sidewalks. There was a big story about this guy being arrested for it and it turned into this big deal because he had no id on him.

090520_The_Vanishing_Husband_and_the_NYPD (http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/investigative/090520_The_Vanishing_Husband_and_the_NYPD - broken link)

I'll be living in Pittsburgh starting late August, and the building I am living in has a bike storage area. So that will come in very handy for me.

Old 06-05-2009, 01:56 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,614,039 times
I wish someone would open a bicycle rental downtown. I'd love to ride a bike at lunchtime. Building management won't let us keep bicycles in our offices. I don't want to leave a bicycle chained up outside overnight. I certainly dont' want to bring it with me every day in my car. I like taking the bus when the weather is nice. Why hasn't anyone ever thought to start this business downtown?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh