Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 08:48 PM

6 posts, read 36,677 times

Advertisements

Opinion was intentionally misspelled just wanted to see who would catch it. Pat yourself on the back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2007, 08:50 PM

6 posts, read 36,677 times
I spent my college education chasing girls, catching girls and drinking too much.

Old 05-10-2007, 08:56 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Jackson View Post
Opinion was intentionally misspelled just wanted to see who would catch it. Pat yourself on the back.
Does that mean you really misspelled endeavor?

Old 05-10-2007, 09:56 PM

83 posts, read 248,656 times
You gotta look sharp

Old 05-12-2007, 01:38 PM

1 posts, read 5,549 times
I saw some nice looking small homes in Harrison Township along 8th Avenue for under $50k. It looks like they are near the border of Harrison Township and Brackenridge. Anyone who can give me the scoop on what this neighborhood is like?

Old 05-12-2007, 06:51 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
8th avenue immediately near route 366 isn't too bad. I'm not sure about the other side of 8th avenue though. It depends on if it's up the hill or down the hill more towards the steel plant. The farther down the hill you go, the worse the neighborhood. Some areas are downright slums down there. But the top of the hill is relatively nice---especially close to Freeport Road in the Alle-Kiski medical center area. 8th doesn't look right next to to harrison township on the map. Natrona Heights is in the middle of the two.

I know the area fairly well, but not well enough, since I worked at the hospital quite a few years ago. I personally wouldn't have chosen a house in the area. Try across the river in Lower Burrel, or up the hill in Natrona Heights, or head out into the country a mile or two and find a good deal on a home with some land---the neighborhood will definitely be better in the rural area compared to down near the steel mill.

Old 05-13-2007, 04:54 AM

4 posts, read 15,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boylocke View Post
Those areas you mentioned are certainly fine in many regards. Maybe it is neighborhood specific, meaning that those cheap houses are not in the best neighborhoods of those fine towns. You could probably buy a little ranch in a really nice neighborhood that requires no work for just a little more than you're talking, say, around 85,000.
I would agree with this if it were before 2002.
That same 85,000 home(ranch-really nice neighborhood-no work) today is now 155,000 minimum.

The really nice neighborhood's/ school district's home values nearly doubled in the last 4 years- while the not so nearly nice areas have only raised slightly.

Still- you can't get much more home for the money than the BURGH.

Old 05-13-2007, 09:49 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,240,907 times
I disagree that inexpensive house has to be in a bad area. If you do your homework, and are willing to do some repairs, you can find what you want. My dad bought a three bedroom/one bathroom house just down the street from West End Park for like $25k-30k. I stayed there for a couple weeks on vaction, it wasnt a ghetto. It's very much a working class area, but not at all bad. The house had no structural damage, but needed a good amount of cosmetic work. I live in Dallas where it is almost impossible to find a house under $100k anymore. There are some in the $70 range, but they are very small.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh