Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2007, 10:31 AM

487 posts, read 1,380,146 times

Advertisements

What does everyone think of the approved 15% service cut? Less drastic than originally proposed, but with an $80 billion projected budget deficit in '07-'08, is that enough?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2007, 11:20 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,160,449 times
I'm going to guess you mean 80 million. I have a hard time believing PAT's entire budget is measured in billions, much less the deficit portion of it.

I'm torn on the idea of service cuts. I hate to see people who rely on public transportation lose their service or have it made more incovenient. Public transportation also just makes more sense from an environmental impact perspective as long as it's efficient and well-utilized. And therein lies a big part of the problem.

Public transportation works best and is most efficient in areas that are densely populated. But the population density of the city core has dropped drastically. It gets harder and harder to justify maintaining the same degree of service and infrastructure to serve fewer and fewer people. Additionally, lower population density means it's easier to get around by car, and thus public transportation loses much of its utility and appeal. I almost never used public transportation when I lived in Pittsburgh. But here in Chicago, it's absolutely indispensible. If I can ever talk my wife into transfering to her company's office downtown instead of working out in the suburbs, we'd sell one of our cars. My car sits for days, sometimes weeks at a time without ever moving.

Additionally, it has become easier to afford cars so all but the absolute dirt-poor can afford to buy something to get themselves around. In a city like Pittsburgh where traffic is relatively free-flowing save a handful of bottlenecks and parking is relatively easy in most parts of town, use and support of public transportation is simply not going to be as strong as place like NYC, San Fran, Boston, Chicago, etc., where we're all packed cheek to jowel, traffic is gridlocked everywhere all the time, downtown parking costs $300/mo, some neighborhoods are so dense that deeded parking spaces cost $30,000, et cetera.

In a relatively low-density city like Pittsburgh, short of practically forcing people onto public transportation, which can be quite onerous, I don't see an easy answer to the problem.

Old 04-03-2007, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I'm going to guess you mean 80 million. I have a hard time believing PAT's entire budget is measured in billions, much less the deficit portion of it.
Oops. Yep, that's a typo. $80 million is more like it.

I read that the Port Authority is the 15th largest service in the nation (not sure if that means budget or ridership or number of routes or something else ...), but yet Allegheny County is the 29th largest county in the nation (and I assume that means population). So it would seem to be a bit of an imbalance. But then again, I don't know it well enough to know if buses are half-full or a quarter-full, or fully filled.

Old 04-03-2007, 01:56 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,160,449 times
I don't think the disparity between size of transit authority and size of metro population is very meaningful. Take Maricopa County AZ, for instance, with some 3.6 million people. The whole place is like one giant, sprawling, relatively low-density suburb, with an infinite number of potential arrival points and destination points scattered across the whole area instead of concentrated along well-defined transit corridors (another necessary component in an efficient public transportation). There is just no way to retrofit a comprehensive public transportation system in a metro area laid out like Phoenix and the surrounding area is. Consequently, the metro area's public transit is pretty bare-bones compared to cities with well-developed public transit systems.

I think you'll also notice that those cities with the most comprehensive public transit systems are those that were already mostly developed before the automobile became the ubiquitous form of transportation. Once the car came along, it became easier to lay out cities with a lower population density and without the apparent necessity of concentrated transit corridors geared toward a common destination (as in the Loop in Chicago, lower Manhattan in NYC, and the Triangle in Pittsburgh -- at least once upon a time). Unfortunately as metro areas grow, the car-centric way of laying out cities has really come back to haunt. Los Angeles is a prime example.

Old 04-03-2007, 10:15 PM

2,902 posts, read 10,068,580 times
80 beh beh beh bil bil bil BILLION??????

Old 04-04-2007, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boylocke View Post
80 beh beh beh bil bil bil BILLION??????
I heard that the Pittsburgh Pirates have offered their revenue-sharing money to reduce the deficit.

Just kidding. I already confessed to the typo: Should be $80 Million ... with an M. That's still a pretty big budget deficit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: