Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 06:41 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,014,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMadison View Post
Just how diverse is Pittsburgh and surround suburbs?

I scanned some of the town names on the map in the area. Seems like the demographics are a bit like a mini-Detroit or mini-D.C.
It really depends. There are parts of the City and suburbs which are very segregated, but also some with more of a mix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2009, 07:25 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agbor View Post
If I were not from here and was living somewhere more cosmopolitan..I would only move here for the
money..Am from here but never fit in..Pittsburgh is nice, but in terms of some national trends..it is very
slow to get on board..some things which are touted as new here..other cities have been doing them for
some years already...even Cleveland..
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
Trends are overrated. What's so great about following trends? Do a little research on all the things that have started in Pittsburgh. Sure, it's been awhile since anything new came out here, but it's a pretty impressive list.

Trends are for followers.
I'm not sure what either one of you are trying to say. It might help to know what trends. If you're talking about hairstyles, or tattoos, or something, I'd agree with creepsinc. If you're talking about improvements in technology, etc, I'd be more with Agbor.

Old 06-07-2009, 07:28 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
It really depends. There are parts of the City and suburbs which are very segregated, but also some with more of a mix.
I know in the city the East End is more of a mx, and probably the immediately adjacent suburbs of the EE, but where else? The demographics show most of the burbs as almost entirely white. For example, the highly vaunted Mt. Lebanon is 95.6% white.

Old 06-07-2009, 08:17 AM

2,420 posts, read 4,712,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I'm not sure what either one of you are trying to say. It might help to know what trends. If you're talking about hairstyles, or tattoos, or something, I'd agree with creepsinc. If you're talking about improvements in technology, etc, I'd be more with Agbor.
Usually when people are talking about trends in regards to Pittsburgh, they're talking about the silly worthless kind, like hairstyles and music. If they're talking technological/medical/etc., they're just being ignorant. Plenty of things started here.

Old 06-07-2009, 08:19 AM

Quote:
I know in the city the East End is more of a mx, and probably the immediately adjacent suburbs of the EE, but where else? The demographics show most of the burbs as almost entirely white. For example, the highly vaunted Mt. Lebanon is 95.6% white.
North Side.

Old 06-07-2009, 08:19 AM

1,142 posts, read 2,815,934 times
We live west of Pittsburgh and spend a lot of time north and south suburbs of the city. My husband grew up in the south hills. All of them are very lilly white. My kids go to school with only a handful of kids that are african american. As comparison, I grew up in southern VA in a small blue collar town and my school was half black, half white, some american indian. No one thought anything of it.

In conversations with friends and family here, I frequently hear discriminatory remarks about people from different races. I keep my mouth shut. No one here wants to know that you don't agree with that kind of talk.

Old 06-07-2009, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highway29south View Post
We live west of Pittsburgh and spend a lot of time north and south suburbs of the city. My husband grew up in the south hills. All of them are very lilly white. My kids go to school with only a handful of kids that are african american. As comparison, I grew up in southern VA in a small blue collar town and my school was half black, half white, some american indian. No one thought anything of it.

In conversations with friends and family here, I frequently hear discriminatory remarks about people from different races. I keep my mouth shut. No one here wants to know that you don't agree with that kind of talk.
I grew up in VA too. Yes, there were far more black people. I also heard FAR more derogatory remarks about them. They're very casual about it down there. I've heard remarks from a grand total of one person here.

Old 06-07-2009, 08:37 AM

1,142 posts, read 2,815,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
I grew up in VA too. Yes, there were far more black people. I also heard FAR more derogatory remarks about them. They're very casual about it down there. I've heard remarks from a grand total of one person here.
We must not talk to the same people! I hear these comments all the time. My MIL still calls black people "those people" or "colored people". It's so weird to hear. I was shocked the first time I heard it.

I was in a conversation last week at our bus stop and the adults were saying things again. I stayed out of it. Funny thing, they really go to bat for people who are gay but not for black people.

I think the attitude is in the south too. I heard it when I was a kid. But it came from obviously ignorant people who hated everyone and when they did say it, they said it out loud to everyone, not in secret to a few people.

I also think that the segregated suburbs speak for themselves. It's obvious people do not blend here.

Old 06-07-2009, 09:05 AM

120 posts, read 302,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truman325 View Post
I've lived in Columbus, Cincinnati, and Indianapolis - and honestly the ONLY thing that is a negative for Pittsburgh is the lack of retail space... especially in the South Hills. In Columbus I could travel to 3 different Target stores that were all within 5 miles or less. But where I live in the South Hills my only option is to drive down to Washington PA. It's not really Pittsburgh's fault though - there is just limited flat land for large box stores like that to develop.

Tanger Outlets has been a big improvement.

EVERYTHING else about Pittsburgh is superior to those other locals.
I agree. South Hills is a joke. Upper St. Clair is the most overrated place in the south hills too. The lack of retail and restaurants in this area is frustrating. The stores are old and falling apart. Don't bother going to the mall because it's filled mostly with cheap jewelry stores and crappy quality stores. Best thing to do is go to Homestead or the North Hills areas.
There's one Market District within driving distance. Giant Eagle has a lock on the area so the food prices are higher than in other areas I have lived.

The crime is usually only in places where you would expect it to be - stay out of those areas and you will be fine.

Yes there are many neighborhoods that have very old, out-dated homes. Hopefully those will eventually be filled instead of vacant or bought by people who can fix them up. At least it's pretty from afar (with the houses up on the hills) and at night. (It looks like a Christmas tree lit up!)

Other than that, the antiquated road systems and the gray that can last for weeks at a time here, it's a very nice place to live.

Old 06-07-2009, 09:19 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,014,869 times
Quote:
Well, you just named a lot of the areas I had in mind by including the East End and the nearer east suburbs. However, I think some of the mill towns along the river also still have a mix. Edit: oh, and as another person noted, the North Side.

Conversely, I was also thinking of suburbs like Mt. Lebanon when I noted a lot of the City and suburbs are segregated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh