Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 01:37 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,997,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I think it's common for questions to go up hill, not a Pittsburgh thing -- unless I'm missing something.

Some of the young ones out here use the uphill inflection for EVERYTHING -- so it makes everything they say sound like a question.
I'm guilty of 'uphill' questions. Someone once explained what Pittsburgher's do that's different. Everyone rises in pitch at the end of questions, but we word our questions as statements, but go up in pitch at the end. For instance, we'll say "You're going to the STORE?" with the rise in pitch at the end. We completely drop the ARE at the beginning of the question and rise in pitch at the end to form the question. It's odd to people who aren't from Pittsburgh because it doesn't sound like we're asking questions, it sounds like we're making a statement. The rise in pitch at the end of the sentence is the only clue that we're asking a question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2009, 02:30 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,239,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I'm guilty of 'uphill' questions. Someone once explained what Pittsburgher's do that's different. Everyone rises in pitch at the end of questions, but we word our questions as statements, but go up in pitch at the end. For instance, we'll say "You're going to the STORE?" with the rise in pitch at the end. We completely drop the ARE at the beginning of the question and rise in pitch at the end to form the question. It's odd to people who aren't from Pittsburgh because it doesn't sound like we're asking questions, it sounds like we're making a statement. The rise in pitch at the end of the sentence is the only clue that we're asking a question.
Oh, so our syntax is goofy. That makes sense.

Oh, jeez... add that to my PA Dutch/mountain influence, and I am screwed!

Years ago, I had a customer who was from Iran, who I messed up with Pittsburghese -- specifcally the word gum bands.... we had tons and always gave him gum bands when he asked -- but after me he started asked for gumrubbers.

On the upside he was teaching me to count in Farsi.

Old 05-03-2009, 03:32 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I honestly have never heard ANYONE say 'redd up' in my entire life. I just know what it means from internet discussions about Pittsburghese. I have NO IDEA what nebby means either. I've never heard it. I'll confess to knowing what gumband and jagoff means, but I can't recall the last time anyone said it. I guess people don't tell me where to put things because I've never heard 'put dat right der' either. I'm mostly guilty of dropping 'to be' and 'the.' As for an outright accent, I don't have one because we moved all over the world when I was young.
I've heard both "redd up" and "nebby" many times, also gumband and jagoff. I grew up in Beaver Falls (according to that website, "Beer Falls"). When I was in nursing school at Pitt, we learned that the medical (Latin?) term for "nose" is "neb", hence the expression, "don't be so nebby", means "don't be so nosey". Actually, some people in Beaver Falls pronounced it Be er (two syllables) Falls, when I was a kid. I used to drop "to be" until my ex-husband got on my case about it. There are a lot of good reasons he is the ex, that's just one!

Old 05-04-2009, 06:54 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,051,221 times
I use NEBBY constantly. I can't stand NEBBY people...ugh!

Old 05-04-2009, 07:54 AM

1,519 posts, read 2,673,733 times
I'm embarrassed to admit, but I didn't even know that "to be" was necessary with "needs" until I was in college. And I went to a good high school and had good English teachers. If it was taught to us, it just wasn't stressed at all, and no one I knew spoke that phrase properly. I went to Penn State and the grad student who taught my freshman English class was very interested in regional dialects. Her first day ice breaker was to start the class by discussing all of the regional PA accents, quirks and differences, of which that was one. She also asked someone from Philly to pronounce the words, "Mary, Merry and Marry" which all sound slightly different, and then someone from Pittsburgh who, of course, said them all the same. And there was the "youze and yinz" discussion and she had a northeastern PA person count out "one, two, tree" for us. "Pop" versus "Soda", etc. I think a lot of folks cringe when they hear the local accent rather than appreciating the flavor it adds to language. That class was a mainly writing class, but it was interesting to have a discussion with someone who was studying and appreciating accents and colloquialisms rather than viewing them as substandard English.
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

Old 05-04-2009, 09:10 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,277,305 times
Here ya go- Pittsburgh English - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-04-2009, 09:21 AM

1,437 posts, read 3,774,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aveojohn View Post
Great link. That really sums up what everyone has been saying and explains it's origins.

Old 05-04-2009, 10:39 AM

15,637 posts, read 26,239,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinare View Post
I'm embarrassed to admit, but I didn't even know that "to be" was necessary with "needs" until I was in college. And I went to a good high school and had good English teachers. If it was taught to us, it just wasn't stressed at all, and no one I knew spoke that phrase properly. I went to Penn State and the grad student who taught my freshman English class was very interested in regional dialects. Her first day ice breaker was to start the class by discussing all of the regional PA accents, quirks and differences, of which that was one. She also asked someone from Philly to pronounce the words, "Mary, Merry and Marry" which all sound slightly different, and then someone from Pittsburgh who, of course, said them all the same. And there was the "youze and yinz" discussion and she had a northeastern PA person count out "one, two, tree" for us. "Pop" versus "Soda", etc. I think a lot of folks cringe when they hear the local accent rather than appreciating the flavor it adds to language. That class was a mainly writing class, but it was interesting to have a discussion with someone who was studying and appreciating accents and colloquialisms rather than viewing them as substandard English.
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
One of the first things I learned in my creative writing class was that "to be" was passive voice and a no-no in fiction writing because it slowed things down.

It's not incorrect -- it's sort of *too* correct.

So being from Pittsburgh really helped in that one! And count me in on one of those who appreciates accents of all kinds.

Old 05-04-2009, 06:24 PM

2,422 posts, read 2,277,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post
Great link. That really sums up what everyone has been saying and explains it's origins.
Yea, I knew it had a Scotch Irish connection.

Old 05-04-2009, 06:31 PM

93 posts, read 325,447 times
Sounds a lot like the central pennsylvania accent... Except i never heard Nebby or jagoff... But we use red up and drop to be. Here is a link.. Central Pennsylvania accent - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh