Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 08:34 PM

82 posts, read 302,241 times

Advertisements

We are seriously thinking of moving to Pittsburgh this summer, from Massachusetts. We plan to rent a house at first, while we get to know the area.

We have a 95 lb. collie (like Lassie), so I think we will have to live in a rural area that is > 20 miles away from the city. I like that idea a lot.

However, we have 4 teenagers (daughter age 13, triplet sons age 15). I am concerned that they will be bored. They are bored in the suburb we live in now, and so am I. My husband and I used to live in Brookline, Mass, which was urban, on the subway, lots of shops and people, just marvelous.

Is there a safe urban area of Pittsburgh that would appeal to teens and where we might find a landlord who will rent to us with the dog? We'd need 4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms for our family.

Thank you for your help.

RC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 08:46 PM

285 posts, read 861,934 times
What is your price range? I would recommend Mt. Lebanon, a walkable suburban neighborhood with lots of unique businesses, great schools, and on the light rail line into downtown Pittsburgh, or Squirrel Hill or Shadyside, neighborhoods in the east end of the city. They both have kind of a suburban feel to them, but are less than 2 miles from the Carnegie Museums, Carnegie Library, and lively business districts. These are a little pricy. There are deals to be found, but they are few and far between.

A few more moderately priced, but still great options, would be Dormont, which is next to Mt. Lebanon, and Highland Park, Point Breeze, or Regent Square, which are also in the east end of the city, but a bit farther away from the universities and museums.

Old 02-20-2009, 09:22 PM

Our price range is $1500-$2000 for rent. Point Breeze sounds nice, I looked it up tonight because it is near a big park at which I can walk our dog.

Old 03-25-2009, 07:46 PM

3 posts, read 9,147 times
I agree with the above. Squirrel Hill or Shadyside are probably most like Brookline, MA and are nearer to cultural facilities These areas definitely have an urban feel. Mt. Lebanon is more akin to Wellesley or Newton MA and is more suburban. I think Mt. Lebanon may be "safer". Mt. Lebanon schools are top notch by any standard and I know people from all walks of life from around the country that have done very well in Mt. Lebanon public schools. I can't comment on the other school systems.

The cost of housing in Pittsburgh is a fraction of Boston.

Old 03-27-2009, 08:36 AM

91 posts, read 139,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoughCollie View Post
Our price range is $1500-$2000 for rent. Point Breeze sounds nice, I looked it up tonight because it is near a big park at which I can walk our dog.
I'd do Mt. Lebanon. Your kids will love living there! Especially your boys, they will have a great school to attend and have the luxury of having an assortment of things to do nearby. I just think that if I were a teen, I'd love living in Mt. Lebanon, it just seems like so much fun!

Old 03-27-2009, 12:05 PM

4,359 posts, read 7,529,010 times
Here in Pittsburgh, people either prefer living in the city or the suburbs. If you are "fairly" affluent and want to live in the city you probably will live in the east end, Sq. Hill, Shadyside or Point Breeze. Friendship and Highland Park are also nice but not as nice as the other three. Now if you live in the city you either like the diversity of an urban school district or you don't. If you don't then you go private. Since you have four high school kids that would get expensive pretty quickly. There are plenty of suburbs which are probably similar to suburbs in Massachusetts. Mt. Lebanon and Sewickley are two older suburbs with some sort of shopping. I personally would live in Sewickley if I had to do it all over again.

Old 03-28-2009, 12:39 AM

We have a lead on a house that may be coming up for rent in Mt. Lebanon. I hope it pans out because it is only 2 blocks from the library.

I don't think the owner likes me, though. He responded to my inquiry with a long email, I answered him, and I must have said something he didn't like because I never heard from him again. I called him today, but he didn't return my call.

Oh well, I'm sure we'll find something. I hope that more houses come onto the rental market as we get closer to summer.

Old 03-28-2009, 12:50 AM

2,751 posts, read 5,363,036 times
Quote:
We have a lead on a house that may be coming up for rent in Mt. Lebanon. I hope it pans out because it is only 2 blocks from the library.

I don't think the owner likes me, though. He responded to my inquiry with a long email, I answered him, and I must have said something he didn't like because I never heard from him again. I called him today, but he didn't return my call.

Oh well, I'm sure we'll find something. I hope that more houses come onto the rental market as we get closer to summer.
Have you ever been to Pittsburgh?

Old 03-28-2009, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExPit View Post
Have you ever been to Pittsburgh?
No. I have never even been to Pennsylvania. This is my husband's idea. He really likes PA, after having been there many times on business trips. He thinks we will do much better financially if we move there. We cannot afford to live in Mass much longer, that's for sure.

Old 03-28-2009, 01:47 AM

2,751 posts, read 5,363,036 times
Quote:
No. I have never even been to Pennsylvania. This is my husband's idea. He really likes PA, after having been there many times on business trips. He thinks we will do much better financially if we move there. We cannot afford to live in Mass much longer, that's for sure.
I understand. I once moved to a new city sight unseen and it took a while for me to like it. Then again that city was L.A. and there really weren't all that many surprises. Sunshine, beautiful terrain and homes, freeways, etc. etc, everything you saw on TV and in the movies. I hop your husband's not going to be mad at me, but you should take at least a weekend and just see how the city feels to you. I grew up in Pittsburgh so I love it, it's home to me. But I think when you're moving to a city that will hold a lot of surprises, unlike a city like NYC, LA, you should really check it out first. I mean, what if you just absolutely hate it? Then you've already uprooted your family, what was it four kids? If if was just you and your husband I'd say take a shot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh