Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 08:49 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,588,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
I'm restraining myself so as not to violate C-D terms and conditions.
If he named any farmer or market in a comment like that, I think he'd be in violation. It's an accusation of fraud and presents defamation issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2015, 12:15 PM

2,458 posts, read 4,202,032 times
I think the truth lies somewhere in between, as it does in most things. It's been a while since I've been to a farmers market, but in addition to stuff that seems to have been home grown hereabouts, I know I've seen produce that isn't grown locally at all, or isn't in season around here.

Quote:

Granted, you can only use the tokens for non-prepared foods, namely meats and vegetables. You can't get a cup of coffee or a cookie, but you could buy a bag of coffee beans or organic flour.
When is coffee season in western PA anyway?

Old 02-15-2015, 12:56 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,983,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdigger View Post
I think the truth lies somewhere in between, as it does in most things. It's been a while since I've been to a farmers market, but in addition to stuff that seems to have been home grown hereabouts, I know I've seen produce that isn't grown locally at all, or isn't in season around here.

When is coffee season in western PA anyway?
I can't speak for all farmer's markets, but I know that in the case of F@F, there were significant requirements to join, and local/regional and organic were two of those.

While it's true you can't really grow coffee in Western PA (although I know of several live shrubs being raised), what was sold was organic/passive organic, direct trade and locally-roasted.

But if you're around in another 1,000 years or so, we should be able to grow some varieties in the Laurel Highlands :-)

Old 02-15-2015, 02:36 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,389,024 times
i think if you grew the coffee plants correctly you could have local coffee, but it would be a couple hundred dollars a pound.

Old 02-15-2015, 07:36 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,887,829 times
Quote:
I can't speak for all farmer's markets, but I know that in the case of F@F, there were significant requirements to join, and local/regional and organic were two of those.
Trust me, there aren't a lot of background checks done on vendors. I'm not saying they all are like that. Most markets only require an application and weekly/seasonal fee. Like I said, they are basically high end flea markets. The same drama.

Old 02-15-2015, 08:04 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,189,699 times
So you travel to Amish country for fresh produce? Where are the roadside stands?

Old 02-16-2015, 02:26 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,587,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
So you travel to Amish country for fresh produce? Where are the roadside stands?
There is one on rt 286 in Saltsburg. I stop there on my way to some of my hoof trimming clients. It is a family owned and run farm that sells all of their own produce and some amazing home made pies. One of my clients is a friend of that family and told me about them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh