Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2012, 11:02 AM

5 posts, read 9,440 times

Advertisements

I am just looking for really basic, economical Internet service - just for reading e-mails and looking for jobs (no gaming, no watching TV online, etc.) - in Lower Burrell (which is near New Kensington).

I do not want cable TV (I don't even own a TV, so obviously I wouldn't use that). I would also prefer to stick with my current cell phone service (which is Sprint). I do not have a land line. I have looked around without much luck, as everyone wants to sell me a package - and I just want to get online! The apt. complex I live in does not have FIOS.

I've been laid off and really just need Internet for a job search and that's it. Thank you to anyone who can advise me!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2012, 09:06 PM

392 posts, read 1,068,319 times
Call Sprint and ask them to add on a "mobile hotspot" for your cell phone (if you own a smartphone). It's about $30 or so a month and it runs off the same towers your mobile web would on your phone. If you own a laptop, it probably already comes with a wireless adapter. If not, they're about $30 or so at K-Mart/Walmart.

Without a landline, that's about as "basic" as it gets without going to the library and using their Internet.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:08 AM

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, I don't have a smartphone either. I may have to go back to Comcast, which has the worst, most conveniently "inept" customer service I have ever encountered in my life. Ugh. I was (and still am) really hoping to avoid Comcast!

Old 03-05-2012, 11:31 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,655,128 times
Comcast does have an "economy" internet plan that used to be around $25-ish, but as far as I know they still price it $15 higher if you do not buy any TV from them. Yet, that is what I have at my house (though I have the faster normal plan). Economy TV usually costs around $12, so it's better to have that than have none. I don't even use their TV signal. Amazingly, though I hear plenty of negatives about Comcast, I don't have issues. Possibly it's because I don't usually have to call them for anything. I've gone years without calling them.

Verizon should have a low-price DSL you can get, not sure if they force you into phone service or not. Should be sub-$30 I think.

There are other companies that can provide DSL or similar services, but most cater mainly to business-level service where they can make more money. Plus, ultimately, most rely on basic line from Verizon anyway to make the physical connection. This can make for quite an annoying situation if something goes down, where your actual provider might blame Verizon first even if it's their fault. I have experienced this firsthand with our office connection. It may not be as critical with your home connection, but it would still be annoying.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:46 AM

440 posts, read 549,587 times
Thinking outside the box. If you are just using the internet for job searchingm try to looking into local libraries community colleges etc . I know new ken has a branch of WCCC that offered (not sure if they still do) services for people unemployed looking for work. Including computer access and much more hands on stuff.

Comcast really does offer the best product around.. You can try to find Verizon Dry Loop (its a dsl connection without having to suscribe to a phoen service)

I not saying this is you, Sandster, but most people get upset with customer service for issues they can't fix. I worked for Verizon and people would not be able to use thier internet because of thier computer issues and woudl in return blame Verizon.

Old 03-06-2012, 01:33 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,981,085 times
Wal-mart (and other big box and electronics stores probably) sells USB cellular modems. They offer pay as you go plans, but if you want a contract then it is probably best to first check and see what Sprint can offer you. Since you won't be using it for much, you probably won't hit any data caps.

Old 03-10-2012, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Comcast does have an "economy" internet plan that used to be around $25-ish, but as far as I know they still price it $15 higher if you do not buy any TV from them. Yet, that is what I have at my house (though I have the faster normal plan). Economy TV usually costs around $12, so it's better to have that than have none. I don't even use their TV signal. Amazingly, though I hear plenty of negatives about Comcast, I don't have issues. Possibly it's because I don't usually have to call them for anything. I've gone years without calling them.
I will see if Comcast will let me sign up for anything at all without a contract (or no contract, but a much higher monthly fee than with a contract). Then I will think about Comcast before I sign up to be consistently overbilled and double billed like the last time I had Comcast! Thank you for the info. I will look into this Economy TV stuff...

Old 03-10-2012, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
Wal-mart (and other big box and electronics stores probably) sells USB cellular modems.
A "USB cellular modem" the same thing as a "broadband stick, right?" I am going to see if I can get some info. on this at Wal-mart early one morning when they're not busy. Thanks for the reply! I am at the library again, and this has gotten old!

Old 03-10-2012, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augie6 View Post
Thinking outside the box. If you are just using the internet for job searchingm try to looking into local libraries community colleges etc . I know new ken has a branch of WCCC that offered (not sure if they still do) services for people unemployed looking for work. Including computer access and much more hands on stuff.

Comcast really does offer the best product around.. You can try to find Verizon Dry Loop (its a dsl connection without having to suscribe to a phoen service)

I not saying this is you, Sandster, but most people get upset with customer service for issues they can't fix. I worked for Verizon and people would not be able to use thier internet because of thier computer issues and woudl in return blame Verizon.
I hadn't heard of a Verizon Dry Loop before, but I will check into it! Comcast's actual Internet product was great, but they spent 9 months overbilling and double billing my credit card. After being cursed out (literally) by 2 customer service reps who didn't care that it had been 9 months and they still hadn't fixed any of the billing problems, I finally got the credit card company to fix it (should have done that on Day 1!).

Old 03-11-2012, 04:39 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,981,085 times
You should check Clear, it looks like it could work well for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh