Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 12:57 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,107,908 times

Advertisements

As I mentioned the other day, there will be no void in the market and also has anyone looked the Billboard Hot 100 this decade? it is dominated by current R&B and hip hop which means that CHR stations (top 40) are mostly current R&B and hip hop formatted
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 02:58 PM

727 posts, read 1,884,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifepgh2op View Post
Yeah, that was my bad...I phrased something wrong on an earlier post with Hot 97 being compared to WAMO and in typical City-Data fashion, people get their wikipedia skills going to try and prove how wrong and different they are, as if I didn't know! I was just trying to compare that they play similar songs since everyone was on here saying that WAMO didn't play good music, when in reality, they are playing the same songs as other hip hop radio stations, for the most part.
I actually lived in NY and trust me Pittsburgh radio is nothing like Newyork radio......thats obvious. I'm not even going to go in depth with you but like a previous poster said Pgh is Pgh and NY is well........Ny.....Big difference!!

Old 05-19-2009, 06:27 PM

1 posts, read 2,124 times
It reflects the city in matters of diversity. In Pittsburgh there isn't much going on for black people here. This is why most of us who can leave here do. White people with whom I have spoken with don't see it that way but it is a heavy conversation amongst black people. Personally, I have stopped listening to WAMO a long time ago when they only played music seen on 106 and Park (BET's video show) and really only cater to high school kids. I listen to satellite radio every day. Yet and still its good to know that there is a station that plays urban music when worse comes to worse. WAMO is like the family member that comes over that you know gets on your nerves and says stupid things but you never want anything bad to happen to them.

Old 05-19-2009, 08:08 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,096,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedy B View Post
It reflects the city in matters of diversity. In Pittsburgh there isn't much going on for black people here. This is why most of us who can leave here do. White people with whom I have spoken with don't see it that way but it is a heavy conversation amongst black people. Personally, I have stopped listening to WAMO a long time ago when they only played music seen on 106 and Park (BET's video show) and really only cater to high school kids. I listen to satellite radio every day. Yet and still its good to know that there is a station that plays urban music when worse comes to worse. WAMO is like the family member that comes over that you know gets on your nerves and says stupid things but you never want anything bad to happen to them.
I can attest to this. It seems that the white people I know are more likely to enjoy life here and to stay here, but younger minorities seem to have a negative outlook here and want to get out. For some reason they want to go to Atlanta.

Old 05-20-2009, 12:20 AM

1,139 posts, read 2,485,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarqueseGilmore View Post
I actually lived in NY and trust me Pittsburgh radio is nothing like Newyork radio......thats obvious. I'm not even going to go in depth with you but like a previous poster said Pgh is Pgh and NY is well........Ny.....Big difference!!
I lived in NYC too...love it there. Yes, it is very different than Pgh...like I said, I'm pretty sure most people aren't getting my point on this thread so that's why I wasn't supposed to post on it again!

So long, WAMO...may you be replaced with bigger and better things

Old 05-20-2009, 10:45 AM

2 posts, read 3,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Mizz Pittsburgh View Post
Try telling that to a 55 year old who likes to listen to WAMO on Sunday afternoons when they play old school R&B.

Or a family throwing a family BBQ at a local park.

Or someone who likes to get dressed, for work in the mornings, listening to the Steve Harvey Morning Show.

Its not always about the MUSIC.

WAMO reaches out to a demographic who don't necessarily always have ready access TO THE INTERNET.

And, there are a bunch of people, who still sit around and listen to WAMO. They listen because they want to win tickets, or call to participate in group discussions about certain topics, or want to hear about different artists and events coming to Da' Burgh.

It'll be interesting to see how some of these 'urban' promoters get the word out about different events and concerts now that WAMO is about to fold.

Don't forget that Wamo is the only station that truly cares about the inner city. The other stations will not have the same repore with the community, they will never have the understanding or compassion that the urban Dj's shared. When something happens in our communities, there will be no extended reporting, we will not have the know when our leaders try to organize summits and rallies. There is a certain pulse that unified the African American community and Wamo. IMO that is what will be missed, no matter how much the other networks try to fill the gaps.

I do believe that Wamo needed to diversify in the listening choice. There are alot of young people who have no idea what good music is. They are consumed by the bubble-gum rap and sex-me-up r&b of todays artists. I could hardly stand the same 10 songs being played over and over again, with the occasional old school hour at 12, and then they'd play some old school bubble-gum stuff. Even still I supported Wamo. There is a movement going on right now in Pgh for local artists trying to break into mainstream. Wamo was the only platform. I don't think that Kiss-fm will support people like Wiz Khalifa or S-Money(both local artists)...which once again brings me to that "certain pulse" that the other stations cannot feel. The city is very boring when it comes to entertainment for African Americans. With Wamo gone that emptiness will increase. The truth be told, Pgh is a city that caters to the White Populus, so this summer while they have their bbq's they will have their choice music to enjoy, while there will be none of that in the hood!

Old 05-20-2009, 12:33 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,035,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGLORY View Post
The city is very boring when it comes to entertainment for African Americans. With Wamo gone that emptiness will increase. The truth be told, Pgh is a city that caters to the White Populus, so this summer while they have their bbq's they will have their choice music to enjoy, while there will be none of that in the hood!

Old 05-20-2009, 01:52 PM

1,440 posts, read 4,397,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pic-chic View Post
And how could a religious one do better? Is it cheaper to run the latter? I wouldn't think so.
Usually it is cheaper. You typically have no on-air people, you have board-ops. These people get paid next to nothing to run canned programs or handle a control board. No benefits, no full-time money, big savings.

Another point to consider, most religious broadcasters sell time by the block, fifteen minutes, thirty, sixty and so on. Many smaller market stations have lived quite well for years just on the income from Sunday morning paid church programming.

Ratings don't matter so no ad-rate card to worry about. Yes, there is good money in specialty broadcasting.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:46 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,601,379 times
I tuned into WAMO today out of curiosity... I heard
this..............I threw up in my mouth and my wife fainted.

For contrast, I tuned into KISS... I heard
this

Seriously... I'm not making this up.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:00 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,096,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zip95 View Post
I tuned into WAMO today out of curiosity... I heard

this..............I threw up in my mouth and my wife fainted.

For contrast, I tuned into KISS... I heard

this

Seriously... I'm not making this up.
And the songs they played came as a surprise to you how?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh