Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2009, 02:20 PM

77 posts, read 305,526 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

my family and I are flying out to Pittsburgh next Sunday to check out the area since we will be moving as soon as our house here in CO sells.
I have read a lot on this board over the last months and found good information
I now have 2 more questions:

Which counties/towns should we take a look at north/ northwest out of Pittsburgh? We want to live more rural..maybe find a little farmette. Could you give any suggestions on where we should look around and where from to stay away?
I've read a lot of good things about the town of Beaver..so we wanna take a look at this one too.

2nd question:
We are traveling with a baby and a 3 year old and would need tips on where we can easily grab a good bite to eat, that is not too pricey and kid-friendly.

Thank you all so much and we can't wait to check out your city and area - our soon to be new home!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2009, 02:44 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,154,568 times
Butler County- north of the city of Butler is when it is truly rural, not in transition from suburban to rural.
Beaver County- the northern and western parts are the more rural areas.
Armstrong County- All of it.

Old 05-17-2009, 03:24 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo View Post
Hey everyone,

my family and I are flying out to Pittsburgh next Sunday to check out the area since we will be moving as soon as our house here in CO sells.
I have read a lot on this board over the last months and found good information
I now have 2 more questions:

Which counties/towns should we take a look at north/ northwest out of Pittsburgh? We want to live more rural..maybe find a little farmette. Could you give any suggestions on where we should look around and where from to stay away?
I've read a lot of good things about the town of Beaver..so we wanna take a look at this one too.

2nd question:
We are traveling with a baby and a 3 year old and would need tips on where we can easily grab a good bite to eat, that is not too pricey and kid-friendly.

Thank you all so much and we can't wait to check out your city and area - our soon to be new home!
Beaver is a nice little town, and it seems to me, if I recall correctly, out Dutch Ridge Road and Tascawaras Road you might be able to find some acreage. In my memory Dutch Ridge Road had a few small farmettes.

I also have a fondness for the corner of Beaver County, just under Cranberry Twp (Butler County) and next to Marshall Twp (Allegheny County). There are some small farmettes/ranchettes there, and also plenty of homes with acreage -- difference being no barns or outbuildings...

That area of Beaver County has great access to Cranberry, and its shopping and kid friendly restaurants, also a nice library (although you *might* have to pay a non resident fee to use it), and with the close access to 79 and 279, you also have quick access to Pittsburgh.

Now -- I can't say anything about the schools.... I know nothing about them...

Old 05-18-2009, 08:02 AM

1,853 posts, read 9,688,401 times
New Sewickley is near Cranberry. There is plenty of farm land there. It is also close to Zelienople.

Chippewa, and South Beaver Townships are rural yet close to shopping. They are in the Blackhawk school district.

Darlington and Enon Valley are between Chippewa, and the Ohio line.

If you want to be closer to the West Virginia border there is Raccoon, Independence, and Hookstown.

The town of Beaver is not rural, but you could go to the top of the hill to Brighton Township. They share the same school. Shop by school district, not by address.

There are plenty of Brighton Hotdog shops to eat. There is also Jerry's Curb Service if you want to stay in your car to eat.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:43 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo View Post
Define what you mean by "good" food and "not too pricey." There's a chain restaurant around here called Eat-n-Park. It's kid friendly, reasonably priced, and the food is pretty basic---similar to what you'd find at a Denny's perhaps. I wouldn't necessarily call it "good" food, but it's not fast food junk. Is that the type of recommendation you're looking for?

Old 05-18-2009, 02:14 PM

77 posts, read 305,526 times
Thanks everyone for the responses so far. We will check out the mentioned areas.

@Hopes
I actually was thinking of local restaurants where we can go with the kids in Pittsburgh. Not too prices means just that a dinner won't cost us 50 bucks. Around $35 would be ok. We like good food...so no fast food ( my kids never even sat foot in a McD. or such. I don't know we just wanna try some of the good, yet not fancy, local places.

Old 05-19-2009, 12:41 AM

524 posts, read 1,036,545 times
Here - I'll say it - I love Eat-n-Park (heresy to some on this board )

It certainly doesn't pretend to be fine dining, but the salad bar is great, often with local fresh produce; good soups, and a wide enough variety on the menu to please kids and adults. Also, very kid friendly.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:57 AM

780 posts, read 1,384,950 times
Once you decide on a locale to reside in, people out that way can refine your search for good, locally owned small restaurants. Post up when you settle down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh