Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 08:59 PM

105 posts, read 366,675 times

Advertisements

We live in Squirrel Hill and when I post on this forum it's generally to defend city living or point out that the public schools in Squirrel Hill are fine.
But both my wife and I work in Oakland so Squirrel Hill makes a lot of sense.
In your case, living in Mount Lebanon makes a lot of sense. If your wife is working there and you are working all over the area, you might as well have one person have little to no commute. And as a suburb goes, Mount Lebanon has a walkable shopping district and does not seem to be the kind of place where you drive to buy a quart of milk (I don't know it that well so I could be wrong). And despite what some naysayers will tell you the Mt Lebanon school district is not so bad. //pics3.city-data.com/forum/ima...lies/smile.gif
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 08:55 AM

29,742 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Quote:
I ask the OP to take a look at Banksville Road from 7am to around 9am inbound towards I-279. It will speak for itself.
But one can cut through Dormont and Beechview to Crane, cut down to 51, and then go up and over Mt. Washington to the Liberty Bridge.

Old 05-19-2009, 07:41 PM

2,868 posts, read 9,551,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgh2Bhome View Post
Thank you all for your thoughts. And, yes we were in Bexley, robrobrob, do you know the area? We loved Bexley, and we have heard from other acquaintances there who know Mt. Lebanon that it is basically Bexley with hills.

Danielle, I love the comment about the prevalence of children. That is just what we are hoping to find. Without asking you to divulge your location, are there areas of Mt. Lebanon in particular that we should look for in terms of families with young children? Also, may I ask how long it actually takes your husband to commute? I am thinking I will be getting to my office early (around 7:00) and coming home around 5:00 (heart of rush hour).

Thanks again!

We are in the Howe Elementary School district. Which is a FANTASTIC middle school. If you google it on google maps you can see some street names. I am not familiar with the entire Mt. Lebo area...just where we live. Cute streets with mature trees. Everyone keeps a nice yard. Tons and tons of kids. Mt. Lebo rec center offers a lot of activites in the summer for kids...and it is cheap to do. I swear, last Halloween my girls walked around with 20 other kids from the street. It was awesome.

When my DH goes to work at 7 AM...and he travels to Oakland which is east of the city (downtown). It takes him 20 mins. He travels down W Liberty and through the Liberty tunnel/bridge and heads east from there (Again just google a map of 15228 and zoom out). At 5 he said it takes him about 30 mins. But like I said that is from Oakland, which is a little further then downtown. So it would take you less time.

How old are your children?

Old 05-19-2009, 08:04 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,542,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
But one can cut through Dormont and Beechview to Crane, cut down to 51, and then go up and over Mt. Washington to the Liberty Bridge.
Hey, Hey, shut up. I did that 20 years ago, don't let everyone know that shortcut.

Old 05-19-2009, 08:07 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COPANUT View Post
Hey, Hey, shut up. I did that 20 years ago, don't let everyone know that shortcut.
I just hate it when everyone learns my shortcuts!

Old 05-19-2009, 08:13 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,542,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Danielle* View Post
We are in the Howe Elementary School district. Which is a FANTASTIC middle school.
In another lifetime I lived right across the street from Howe school. Back then I was a 20 something renting a townhouse. We were able to use the gym at the school for free and had a great time playing hoops every Tuesday. One thing about Mt. Lebo, you get a good bang for your tax buck.

Old 05-19-2009, 09:10 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COPANUT View Post
We were able to use the gym at the school for free and had a great time playing hoops every Tuesday. One thing about Mt. Lebo, you get a good bang for your tax buck.
Lots of school districts allow residents to use the facilities for free---gyms, swimming pools, weight rooms, etc.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:36 AM

29,742 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Quote:
I just hate it when everyone learns my shortcuts!
There should be a Pittsburgh GPS or Google maps module that only gives you shortcuts. It's so annoying when you search for directions and what the machine gives you is laughable--you think "I may not know exactly where I'm going, but there's no way I'm getting on the parkway at that time of day."

Old 05-22-2009, 06:57 PM

6 posts, read 15,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Danielle* View Post
When my DH goes to work at 7 AM...and he travels to Oakland which is east of the city (downtown). It takes him 20 mins. He travels down W Liberty and through the Liberty tunnel/bridge and heads east from there (Again just google a map of 15228 and zoom out). At 5 he said it takes him about 30 mins. But like I said that is from Oakland, which is a little further then downtown. So it would take you less time.

How old are your children?

That doesn't sound too bad. I've been away from this board for a couple of days of necessary shopping down south of the city and we have gotten stuck in the rush hour traffic twice now at 5:00 doing what I would have thought was a reverse commute. It's nice to know that at least I could avoid that in the mornings if I leave early.

Oh and our girls are almost 5 and 2 1/2 years old.

Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh