Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 10:25 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,657,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
BINGO! Huge issue! I can cruise down the downhill section on Parkway East from Wilkinsburg down to the Squirrel Hill Tunnel as long as no one is in front of me chopping their brakes. If the rest of the world would learn to drive a standard shift and learn how to engine brake.
I thought I was the only masochist driving a stick shift around here....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2010, 05:41 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,703,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
I thought I was the only masochist driving a stick shift around here....
I absoloutley am not comfortable driving an automatic. After driving a standard for so long, I feel like I have no control of the car with an auto. Manual transmissions really shine around here.

Old 03-27-2010, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
I absoloutley am not comfortable driving an automatic. After driving a standard for so long, I feel like I have no control of the car with an auto. Manual transmissions really shine around here.
Heh, I've driven one for years too, including 18 years here, but more because I get small, moderately-powered cars which would feel pretty lame with a slushbox. Of course they have improved even in the last 10 years (which is how old my car is, bought new 10 years ago). But really, while control is good, the hills and traffic are a punishing place for a stick. Surprisingly, though, I'm at 160k+ on the original clutch. But that's 16k miles a year, so obviously plenty of highway.

My coordination is starting to lag a bit, my left foot is tired ;-), probably time for the auto when I get a new one. Which still might not be for a couple years. And I'll have to drive it and prove I can live with it, but my occasional rentals make me think I'll be fine with the auto. The stick is pretty handy in snow, though, when you know what to do with it. But then again good autos do that kind of thing now too, starting in 2nd, allowing you to choose and hold specific gears from a range of 5 or 6 (or 7 or 8 on some luxury brands), etc.

Old 03-27-2010, 09:38 AM

2,458 posts, read 4,204,019 times
You guys ever driven anything resmbling a big truck transmission, like a 10-speed Road Ranger? Probably 70-80% of your shifts you don't even bother with the clutch. It's all in timing and throttle control. You'd enjoy it.

Or how about this--a 5 speed tranny with a 4 speed auxillary. I've never driven one of these, but I'd like to have try at one. I did have a 1967 International with a 5 and 3 setup though.

YouTube - Shifting a 5 and a 4 transmission

Watch it on YouTube, and you'll find a whole bunch of related videos, pretty much all showing the same thing. I linked this one cause he's got the gears labled in the video. I suspect he's empty or very lightly loaded. In some of the others you'll see where the driver actually has to reach his left hand through the steering wheel in order to shift both boxes at the same time.

Last edited by ditchdigger; 03-27-2010 at 09:46 AM..

Old 03-27-2010, 10:15 AM

Nah, never drove a big truck. Drove some equipment back in high school, decent sized front loader, but there's not much gearing to that (not much different than driving an old lawn tractor really, except for size). The most fun was a Bobcat-type loader. The big loader you pressed a foot pedal for the gas and worked the bucket with hand controls; the small loader reversed this with the two levers to drive the wheels and foot pedals to work the bucket. Because of the individual lever for each side, you can spin the thing basically in its own length, very maneuverable once you get used to it, although kinda touchy really. Was easy to dump the stuff (mulch, in my case) onto yourself though if you got your pedal work wrong or tried to rush it. ;-)

Old 03-27-2010, 12:52 PM

2,458 posts, read 4,204,019 times
At least it wasn't mushroom manure.

You'd probably like the new Caterpillar skid steers. Two joysticks--all the bucket functions are on the right hand, possibly the same as the big loader you ran, and travel is all on the left. Now you can spin in your own length with just a flick of the wrist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh