Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2010, 07:14 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times

Advertisements

Katiana,

I spot-checked your list of phototours, and some of those would definitely not count as walkable urban areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 07:20 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Katiana,

I spot-checked your list of phototours, and some of those would definitely not count as walkable urban areas.
LOL! You're 100% certain of that, just from looking at some pictures on the internet?
OK, mods, I lied. One more post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott5280 View Post
Cherry Creek...Rated Denver's fourth most walkable neighborhood by walkscore.com....WalkScore gives Denver the #11 spot for most walkable cities..related article Sunday April 26,2009 Denver Post real estate section: WalkScore breaks down the Score index from 1-100..here is it it's list for the top ten Denver hoods:
Get Your Walk Score - A Walkability Score For Any Address

1)Lodo= 97
2)Golden Triangle=96
3)Capital Hill=93
4)Cherry Creek=90
5)Baker=90
6)Alamo Placita=87
7)Five Points=87
8)City Park=85
9)Highland)=79
10)University=75

MOD EDIT: Great info, I'll copy this to the 'walkable neighborhoods thread.'
Also:

Denver average:68% (from walk score)
Pittsburgh average:69%

Big difference, eh?

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 07-21-2010 at 07:49 PM..

Old 07-21-2010, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
LOL! You're 100% certain of that, just from looking at some pictures on the internet?
You posted the links to the phototours but they don't actually have any relevance to our conversation? I'm having trouble following you.

Anyway, Walkscore has a few fundamental methodological flaws so I wouldn't take it as bible. Even so, the list of neighborhoods in Denver that got high walkability scores is less than "dozens", and is concentrated mostly in the core area (just like I said).

As for Pittsburgh, Walkscore didn't do a neighborhood analysis for Pittsburgh so we can't do an apples to apples comparison. An average doesn't really address the question.

Old 07-22-2010, 05:35 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,700,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajl777 View Post
downtown parks/squares suck and are overrun by alcoholics and creepers
I hate the word "creeper"....it's creep or creeps........"creeper" is a word used by women who dress provocatively and complain about men looking at them.

Quote:
Yinzer mentality
East End mentality
Cliquey non-outgoing people
Airport connections
I agree with the Yinzer mentallity.....but what's the problem with those of us who live in the East End of the city?

Old 07-22-2010, 06:09 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,716,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
I agree with the Yinzer mentallity.....but what's the problem with those of us who live in the East End of the city?
I've never heard of anyone really singling out East Enders for anything other than being hip (which isn't a bad thing). Alot of blue collar guys seem to talk alot of stuff on Mt. Lebanon and Fox Chapel "snobs" though. Can't say that they don't have a point.

Old 07-22-2010, 06:11 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,887,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittGrad2009 View Post
1. Taking a new twist on roads, I'm going to point out the roads that have stairs in the middle, or otherwise are confusing. Look at a google map of Louisa Street in Oakland or Beechwood Boulevard in Squirrel Hill if you need visual aid.
Yeah, Beechwood Blvd. is something, isn't it. I'm not familiar with Louisa Street.

Quote:
2. The radio-- I was under the impression that AM radio was for talk/sports and FM radio was primarily for music. Apparently, in Pittsburgh this is not so. It's ALL for sports.
Only half of AM radio is for sports. The other half is for religion.

Quote:
5. Port Authority-- I'm sorry, but a bus driver has no business making $80,000/year with a lavish pension when the agency is writhing in debt. This is especially true when you can live reasonably comfortably in Pittsburgh on less than half that salary. Cut your union ties before you cripple the region.
I definitely take your point about "writhing in debt," but I wonder whether anyone would want to drive a bus for less than $80,000.

Quote:
8. No easy "north-south" way to cross town. It shouldn't take 15 minutes to drive to Squirrel Hill from Shadyside.
It's not a teeny-tiny area, exactly, but does it really take 15 minutes to get to Shadyside from most of Sq. Hill? If I'm going "upstreet," I usually take Negley to Aylesboro and turn left, then get on Murray. But I'll turn right on Aylesboro and take Wightman down the hill if I'm going further south.

Old 07-22-2010, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittGrad2009 View Post
8. No easy "north-south" way to cross town. It shouldn't take 15 minutes to drive to Squirrel Hill from Shadyside.
If it takes you 15 minutes to go from Shadyside to Squirrel Hill, you don't know your way around.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:35 AM

315 posts, read 664,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
I hate the word "creeper"....it's creep or creeps........"creeper" is a word used by women who dress provocatively and complain about men looking at them.

Yea I used to hate creeper too but having a college aged sister it's grown on me because she uses it a lot but not in the misogynistic way you described it. Whatever let's call them rapscallions or ragamuffins or something.

I live in the East End and wouldn't live anywhere else in Pittsburgh really but it's annoying how pretentious many people are that live in the area.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:50 AM

I've heard people pick out particular East End neighborhoods as being too pretentious, yuppified, and so on. I've also heard people complain the East End gets too much attention/investment from the City relative to other areas.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I've heard people pick out particular East End neighborhoods as being too pretentious, yuppified, and so on. I've also heard people complain the East End gets too much attention/investment from the City relative to other areas.
I think other areas of the city could learn a few lessons on pride and class from our part of town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh