Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2010, 01:12 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,542,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Same old ridiculous exaggeration. Of course you can mention another team. The reaction will be disgust, I suppose (real disgust among those who are stupid, mock disgust among those who have half a brain or better). Opposing team fans actually go to the stadium all the time, and in fairly small numbers. This means they are mostly surrounded by some of the rowdiest, most diehard Steelers fans out there. And would you believe, nothing happens to them except typical trash talk. Would you expect no trash talk?

If someone is threatening you upon mere mention of another team's name, then you have somehow stumbled upon a member of the worst of the stupid group, not what is typical.

Could not agree more. When people post about how rabid SteelerMania is to the point of physical confrontation, I have to laugh. At best, what?, maybe 1% of all fans.

I travel to one out of town Steeler game a year, mainly to keep in touch with some high school buddies, it's the same everywhere.

Meaning, drunken jerks are drunken jerks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2010, 02:58 PM

1,158 posts, read 1,852,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
No one seems to mind me mentioning I am a Detroit Lions fan--the typical response is just pity.
Although I am a Steelers fan first, I am also a Tenn. Titans fan and have a jersey that I wear. My brother-in-law from Philly lives here and always wears his Phillies cap. No one ever says anything. I also see alot of people wear Yankees caps .
I think the problem is mainly on game days and whenever alcohol is involved.

Old 10-27-2010, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhondee View Post
Although I am a Steelers fan first, I am also a Tenn. Titans fan and have a jersey that I wear. My brother-in-law from Philly lives here and always wears his Phillies cap. No one ever says anything. I also see alot of people wear Yankees caps .
I think the problem is mainly on game days and whenever alcohol is involved.
Low IQ, lousy job, and alcohol.

The Big Three.

Old 10-29-2010, 04:11 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times
I attended the season opener against the Falcons this year. There was actually a decent number of Falcons fans at the game; you could see a sprinkling of red in the stands.

I saw Falcons fans intermingling with everybody else in the large tailgate cluster between Heinz Field and the Fort Duquesne Bridge. I even saw a couple of groups of Falcons fans setting up their own tailgating spots and flying their own colors right alongside everybody else. They didn't seem to have a problem. Hell, all the Falcons fans I talked with said they enjoyed their stay in Pittsburgh -- even those who I talked with at Jerome Bettis' Grille 36 after the game.

I even saw three Giants fans, two Lions fans and a Vikings fan at the game. They didn't seem to feel out of place. The only guy I heard anybody give verbal hell was a Cowboys fan who was carrying around a big Cowboys flag.

Sure, if you're a fan of the Browns, Ravens or Bengals, or if you're a fan of, say, the Cowboys, Raiders, Patriots or Eagles, then you can expect a fair amount of trash talk, but I didn't see anybody getting out of line at the game I went to.

Old 10-29-2010, 12:42 PM

1,719 posts, read 4,181,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Sure, if you're a fan of the Browns, Ravens or Bengals, or if you're a fan of, say, the Cowboys, Raiders, Patriots or Eagles, then you can expect a fair amount of trash talk, but I didn't see anybody getting out of line at the game I went to.
There are three different kinds of places that you can find yourself in the Pittsburgh area:

1. Normal innocuous places on non-game days (mall, grocery store, etc..)
2. More potentially combustible places (at the stadium, out and about on game day, etc..)
3. Very combustible places (Carson Street on Friday or Saturday night after people have been drinking, rowdy bars on game day, etc..)

There are two three different types of "enemy" teams:

A. The Browns, Raven and Patriots. They are hated.
B. The Cowboys, Raiders, Bengals, and Eagles. They are mildly disliked.
C. Everybody else.

I strongly advise that you not wear a jersey from an "A" team ever in the metropolitan area. You are asking for trouble. Definitely DO NOT wear an "A" team jersey into a #3 place. You will get into a fight.

A "B" team jersey is acceptable in a #1 area. You probably won't have any problems in a #2 area, but be on your guard. I advise that you not wear it into a #3 area.

A "C" team jersey is acceptable pretty much anywhere, but I still advise against wearing it into a #3 area.

Old 10-29-2010, 12:59 PM

408 posts, read 991,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post
There are three different kinds of places that you can find yourself in the Pittsburgh area:

1. Normal innocuous places on non-game days (mall, grocery store, etc..)
2. More potentially combustible places (at the stadium, out and about on game day, etc..)
3. Very combustible places (Carson Street on Friday or Saturday night after people have been drinking, rowdy bars on game day, etc..)

There are two three different types of "enemy" teams:

A. The Browns, Raven and Patriots. They are hated.
B. The Cowboys, Raiders, Bengals, and Eagles. They are mildly disliked.
C. Everybody else.

I strongly advise that you not wear a jersey from an "A" team ever in the metropolitan area. You are asking for trouble. Definitely DO NOT wear an "A" team jersey into a #3 place. You will get into a fight.

A "B" team jersey is acceptable in a #1 area. You probably won't have any problems in a #2 area, but be on your guard. I advise that you not wear it into a #3 area.

A "C" team jersey is acceptable pretty much anywhere, but I still advise against wearing it into a #3 area.
Haha perfect analysis.

I got a kick out of some dude I saw on the side of mcknight rd waiting for the bus. He had full Ravens jersey and gear, including purple bandana and purple camo pants. That's some serious balls there. I think he was only avoiding a first fight because he was an enormous man. Still not sure that someone wouldn't have swerved to hit him.

Old 10-29-2010, 01:14 PM

Anyone who would pick a fight with someone who disagrees with his favorite sports team, IMHO, is a frickin' jerk. Get a life.

Old 10-29-2010, 01:21 PM

408 posts, read 991,603 times
^ there's a lot of jerks out there. (Spoken by an A-teamer)

Old 10-29-2010, 01:41 PM

Anytime I'm at a Pens, Pirates, or Steelers game I go out of my way to talk to the opposing fans. Ask them how they like the city, where are you staying, try out this restaurant or bar.

It just amazes me how stupid some yinsers can be to pick a fight with someone.

Old 10-29-2010, 08:04 PM

4,275 posts, read 7,629,899 times
[quote=rhondee;16423952] My brother-in-law from Philly lives here and always wears his Phillies cap. No one ever says anything. I also see alot of people wear Yankees caps .[quote]

I don't think anyone says anything because The Pirates aren't worth defending. Any other team is better...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh