Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2012, 11:13 PM

1,334 posts, read 1,796,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adore837 View Post
it seems like there's nothing but theater and art around here and I'm not into any of that.
Just an aside, but I have to think that Pittsburgh is turning a major corner in terms of its reputation if a major complaint about it is that there is too much theater and art.

That's a far cry from this exchange in the 1941 film Sullivan's Travels:

[discussing a prior 'serious' film]
LeBrand: It died in Pittsburgh.
Hadrian: Like a dog!
John L. Sullivan: Aw, what do they know in Pittsburgh...
Hadrian: They know what they like.
John L. Sullivan: If they knew what they liked, they wouldn't live in Pittsburgh!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 11:28 PM

62 posts, read 108,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by courtsue09 View Post
1. The Steelers obsession
2. The shock from yinzers over not being a Steelers fan (I just don't care about sports)
3. Yinzers
4. Pittsburghese
5. I find it very confusing to drive in the city. But I rarely have to drive myself there.
6. The winter weather/dreary days
7. Road construction
8. Sometimes people just don't want to hear about sports every single day!
9. If you don't watch football you are an outcast
10. No direct route to the South Hills from The West.

Seems like you have some issues.

Old 06-27-2012, 11:35 PM

32,604 posts, read 77,247,404 times
1.) Way too many people here smoke.

2.) There is a disgusting plethora of litter; the offenders from #1 are largely to blame by tossing their cigarette butts wherever they feel like.

3.) While I adore our four distinctive seasons I would prefer there to be fewer "gray" overcast days in the winter.

4.) As was already mentioned there is a strong apathy within the local African-American community to curtail their violent crime epidemic. How many times do you hear about someone being gunned down in Homewood or The Hill, and witnesses won't come forward? Pittsburgh would likely be the nation's safest large city if you took out black-on-black violent crime.

5.) Housing prices are steadily increasing. That's great if you've already bought into the housing market. If you're an entry-level homebuyer, though, your options become fewer and fewer with each passing year unless you want to live in a ghetto. You now need six-figures just to buy into neighborhoods like Bloomfield, which has an ugly-as-sin housing stock to begin with.

6.) This area has an undesirable SUV-to-hybrid ratio. I drove my hybrid around the city last winter while delivering food and had limited difficulty. If the woman who ran a red light and totaled my sedan hadn't been driving a massive Honda Pilot I probably wouldn't still be enduring neck pain right now.

7.) Public transportation is an absolute joke; it will be an anemic joke in September once all of PAT's cuts become effective.

8.) The obsession with the Steelers is annoying, to say the least, for those of us who despise football. If only the Pirates or Penguins received equal attention...

9.) Drunk driving should not be as prevalent as it is here in one of the nation's most walkable cities. If you want to drink, then walk to the nearest bar, arrange to have a designated driver cart you around, call a taxi, take the bus, etc. If you're from a place like Peters Township or Cranberry Township and CAN'T walk to a bar, take a taxi, or take a bus, then do us all a favor and abstain from drinking.

10.) Not enough Chick-Fil-A's!

Old 06-27-2012, 11:39 PM

32,604 posts, read 77,247,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burghson86 View Post
Seems like you have some issues.
Not every thread on this sub-forum has to be "rah, rah Pittsburgh." For as much as I love this city there are still many aspects of life here that get under my skin on a daily basis. For every one considerate smoker who will actually ask me for permission before lighting up on a park bench near me I'll have to endure two more who will obliviously blow their foul exhaust in my face on Lothrop Street while I'm passing them to make a delivery to Presby while they yammer into their cell phones about how they couldn't use their Access Cards (that are supported by industrious people like me) to buy something frivolous (like cigarettes).

Old 06-27-2012, 11:54 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,095,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post

6.) This area has an undesirable SUV-to-hybrid ratio. I drove my hybrid around the city last winter while delivering food and had limited difficulty. If the woman who ran a red light and totaled my sedan hadn't been driving a massive Honda Pilot I probably wouldn't still be enduring neck pain right now.
Sorry families can't squeeze into a Toyota Prius or Civic hybrid.

Old 06-27-2012, 11:56 PM

26 posts, read 39,500 times
Had to laugh...just posted for retirement suggestions stating I hated west PA because they have beautiful state parks full of trash...bait cups to diapers....environmental disregard in every respect....power plants/fracking/mining.....public transit poor...and not dog friendly....

Love Vancouver/victoria bc....pristine parks and coastland...dog friendly...great public transit...looking for a US, more affordable alternative

Old 06-27-2012, 11:59 PM

14,169 posts, read 22,577,873 times
Quote:
1. The Steelers obsession
See also: Boston Red Sox, SEC football. (Except they get idolized for their zeal, not demonized.)

Quote:
2. The shock from yinzers over not being a Steelers fan (I just don't care about sports)
The majority of people on this board don't either, but they don't hate Pittsburghers for it.

Quote:
3. Yinzers
4. Pittsburghese
It's a dialect. Big deal. Nobody hates Boston, New York or Chicago for having abrasive dialects.

Quote:
5. I find it very confusing to drive in the city. But I rarely have to drive myself there.
Actual practice eliminates the confusion.

Quote:
6. The winter weather/dreary days
It's summer now. Get outside and enjoy it. Or are you that afraid of the locals?

Quote:
7. Road construction
Not every city is blessed with the majority of its infrastructure being less than 30 years old.

Quote:
8. Sometimes people just don't want to hear about sports every single day!
9. If you don't watch football you are an outcast
Like I said, the majority of people on this message board don't watch football, but they've still managed to find their niches and not feel like outcasts.

Quote:
10. No direct route to the South Hills from The West.
The only legitimate complaint of the 10.

So where did you and your husband come from anyway?

Old 06-28-2012, 12:15 AM

9,255 posts, read 9,681,235 times
too few asians. all you can see are students/scholars who will not stay.

Old 06-28-2012, 01:30 AM

62 posts, read 108,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Not every thread on this sub-forum has to be "rah, rah Pittsburgh." For as much as I love this city there are still many aspects of life here that get under my skin on a daily basis. For every one considerate smoker who will actually ask me for permission before lighting up on a park bench near me I'll have to endure two more who will obliviously blow their foul exhaust in my face on Lothrop Street while I'm passing them to make a delivery to Presby while they yammer into their cell phones about how they couldn't use their Access Cards (that are supported by industrious people like me) to buy something frivolous (like cigarettes).

Yeah, that's not why I made the response I did. Six of the issues mentioned in the post I responded to were pretty much directly related to one another. Yinzers and sports accounted for over half of the complaints when they could have all been easily used for one..... Yinzers. I don't care if someone wants to bad mouth aspects of the city, but if you are going to reiterate the same thing over and over again I don't have a problem mentioning that you are doing so.

Last edited by Burghson86; 06-28-2012 at 02:10 AM..

Old 06-28-2012, 01:59 AM

14,169 posts, read 22,577,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
too few asians. all you can see are students/scholars who will not stay.
There are 41,238 Asians in the Pittsburgh MSA, with 34,090 of them in Allegheny County, according to the 2010 Census.

There are 11,955 undergraduate and graduate students at Carnegie Mellon University, with Asians and Pacific Islanders accounting for 17% of the student body, and non-U.S. citizens accounting for another 29%. Assuming that half non-U.S. citizens are Asian, that'd make 32% of the student body Asian, and assuming that there are 100 Pacific Islanders, that'd make a total of 3,726 Asians at Carnegie Mellon University.

There are 18,427 undergraduate students at the University of Pittsburgh, with Asians accounting for 4% of the student body as of 2007. Assuming that Asian undergraduate enrollment at the University of Pittsburgh increased to 6%, that'd amount to 1,106 Asians. There are also 10,339 graduate students at the University of Pittsburgh. I cannot find the racial composition of the graduate students, but assuming that one third of them are Asian, that'd amount to 3,446 graduate students.

Altogether, the number of Asian undergraduate and graduate students at the University of Pittsburgh and Carnegie Mellon University that I got is 8,278, and since I liberally estimated the unknown percentages, the number is likely closer to 8,000. Duquesne University, Robert Morris University and all the smaller liberal arts colleges combined likely contribute no more than 1,000 Asian students to the local population. This means that less than 10,000 Asians in the Pittsburgh area are among this transient student population.

Subtracting less than 10,000 from 34,090 leaves you with about 25,000 Asians in Allegheny County that are not students, and, thus, more than likely permanent residents. And this doesn't account for the 7,148 Asians who live in the Pittsburgh area outside of Allegheny County. In other words, the impact of college students on the local Asian population is overstated, because no more than a quarter of all Asians in the Pittsburgh area are college students.

The Asian population in the Pittsburgh MSA increased by 57.3% between 2000 and 2010, which is greater than the rate of growth in the United States as a whole (43.3%). Assuming an equal rate of growth between 2010 and 2020, that'd amount to 64,868 Asians in the Pittsburgh MSA by 2020. Assuming a slower rate of growth -- say, 50.0% -- that'd amount to 61,857 Asians by 2020. For the Pittsburgh MSA to end up with fewer than 60,000 Asians by 2020, the Asian population growth would have to slow down to a rate of 45.5%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh