Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2014, 11:06 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,200,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Seriously, if someone hates the area they live in that much, make a change. Sheesh.
Bingo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2014, 01:32 PM

436 posts, read 343,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
The only thing I really hate about Pittsburgh is the persistent dreary cloud cover that occurs in the winter months

You made me think of something else I hate..........people complaining about dreary weather during dreary months. What do you expect? This weather hasn't ever stopped me from doing anything. As a matter of fact, it's my favorite time of the year to run.

Old 12-20-2014, 04:09 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,645,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
The Pittsburgh Left. I was almost in an accident last night because a moron turned left on a green light.
Am I missing something? Should they have made the left on a red light? Was it an intersection where no left turns were allowed? Or was it someone making a legal turn, but not doing it safely?

Quote:
The Attitude of Pittsburgh. It has changed over the last 5 years. The city used to have a very down home feel, exactly what the rep was all about - The whole "we are family" feeling. Pittsburgh has become very East Coast and not for the better. I don't know if it is the new people moving in or elderly residents dying off or what. If this is what Pittsburgh was like when I was offered the deal to move here years ago, then I would have never have taken it.
Since this is the "10 Things I Hate"… thread I feel weird mentioning something I like. As a newcomer I've found the opposite to be true in my case. My neighbors have been very friendly and welcoming. Most are originally from around here. As soon as I finish this, I'm off to the neighborhood Christmas party. My neighbor down the street hosts it every year and invites everyone in the neighborhood. I bought my house in Dec 2012 and received my invitation soon after. I felt very welcomed especially considering she had never met me and had no idea who I was.

Old 12-20-2014, 04:26 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Are you sure? I don't remember anyone talking about it in the early '70s. I first heard of the Pittsburgh Left -- and "yunser" being spelled "yinzer," for that matter -- when I came back in the '00s.
I do not remember hearing the term "Pittsburgh left" in the 60s/70s, but my dad and my bro were/are practitioners. DH used to say my dad had a guardian angel, that he'd never been killed driving.

"Yinzer" is also a new one to me. Throughout my childhood in Beaver County, it was always "youns" or "yuns". Pronounced that was as well.

Old 12-20-2014, 05:33 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,156,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Bingo!
So we can go ahead and close this thread now?

Old 12-20-2014, 05:36 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,156,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodjules View Post
Am I missing something? Should they have made the left on a red light? Was it an intersection where no left turns were allowed? Or was it someone making a legal turn, but not doing it safely?
Nowhere else in the country (at least that I've driven) is it acceptable for someone to turn left as the light turns green BEFORE cars go straight. However, it is customary in Pittsburgh, as I've learned, to expect that at least the first car will do so. There are plenty of people who are new to Pittsburgh whom this can take by surprise, causing an accident. The proper way to make a left turn is to wait for the cars going straight to pass, but apparently neglecting to do so is part of "old PGH charm".

Old 12-20-2014, 06:21 PM

778 posts, read 839,965 times
Well, it's in part because many of our streets are old and narrow and are single-lane and if you are a left-turner you can easily hold up everyone behind you for an entire green light. So a lot of the time it's either Pittsburgh left or have 10 angry people behind you honking.

Old 12-20-2014, 06:23 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,889,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodjules View Post
The Pittsburgh Left is so common there is a wiki definition:
Pittsburgh left - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The move doesn't even have to be when the light is green. I've seen drivers take a left with oncoming traffic and no intersection. They will pull right in front of oncoming traffic. One time, up in Wexford, I saw an elderly man turn his car in front of the two lanes of oncoming traffic. Everyone had to slam on their brakes for him. Sometime drivers will honk their horn and get mad if they aren't allowed to make the left turn illegally at an intersection.

Old 12-20-2014, 06:29 PM

1,273 posts, read 1,639,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
Nowhere else in the country (at least that I've driven) is it acceptable for someone to turn left as the light turns green BEFORE cars go straight. However, it is customary in Pittsburgh, as I've learned, to expect that at least the first car will do so. There are plenty of people who are new to Pittsburgh whom this can take by surprise, causing an accident. The proper way to make a left turn is to wait for the cars going straight to pass, but apparently neglecting to do so is part of "old PGH charm".
When I first moved here after living all over the country I could not figure out what folks were talking about when I heard the " Pittsburgh Left". What confused me was the emphasis on this being a Pittsburgh thing. When I finally understood what they were talking about I laughed because I have seen it everywhere I have lived.

Old 12-20-2014, 06:42 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,200,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
So we can go ahead and close this thread now?
If you want...or just don't watch it if you don't want to...but Copanut is right on.

Last edited by erieguy; 12-20-2014 at 07:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh