Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 06:29 AM

7 posts, read 9,393 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone does a commute from the Monroeville/Murrysville area to Greentree. My husband is in retail management, and received an offer for a store in Greensburg. My job is in Greentree. I really don't want to leave my job, but know it will be quite a daunting commute everyday. Anyone have any suggestions on routes other than the parkway, etc? How early would I have to leave to not sit in standstill traffic everyday? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2015, 06:43 AM

1,437 posts, read 3,777,168 times
It's horrible. I have a friend who commutes from Monroeville to Carnegie every day. Allow at least an hour to get there. If it is snowing or there is an accident it could be 90 mins or more. He takes the parkway and hasn't really found a better route. He commutes to an 8am job, if you could start at 7 you might beat some of the traffic by leaving at 6am.

Old 06-05-2015, 07:10 AM

Ugh, thank you , Mugatu! I figured, as much! I hate to have my husband miss out on this opportunity, but I really am not looking forward to that commute! Personally, I would love to live closer to the city. I grew up in Swisshelm Park, but he will not. He is more of a suburbs person. I hate sitting in traffic, so I'm one of those people that will take a longer route not to have to! : )

Old 06-05-2015, 07:18 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,632,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissanicolle View Post
Ugh, thank you , Mugatu! I figured, as much! I hate to have my husband miss out on this opportunity, but I really am not looking forward to that commute! Personally, I would love to live closer to the city. I grew up in Swisshelm Park, but he will not. He is more of a suburbs person. I hate sitting in traffic, so I'm one of those people that will take a longer route not to have to! : )
With all due respect I feel like I AM in suburbia when I'm in Swisshelm Park, especially when you get to the dead-end areas on streets like Goodman and Onondago. Has your husband ever even been to Swisshelm Park for him to see it's no more "urban" than Monroeville?

Old 06-05-2015, 07:30 AM

I totally agree, steelcityrising! Yes, he has been there, but for some reason, does not care for it. I would love to live back there again, although some of my family who is still in the area think I'm crazy. They say with Swissvale being so close, it is not the same , and there is more crime etc. I would still be willing to live there, but I know my husband will not. It was such a great place to grow up! He does not like the closeness of the houses, so I know both Squirrel Hill and Greenfield would not work for him either. So, its a bit of a dilemma for me. I have a week to let him know if I'm willing to move out East.

Old 06-05-2015, 07:34 AM

I totally agree with you! Yes, but husband has been there, but does not like the closeness of the houses, and also the proximity to Swissvale. I would love to live back in the Park, it was a great place to grow up! I have a few family members who still live there, and they say its not the same, because of the crime in Swissvale, it does occasionally spill over into that area. It wouldn't stop me, but I know he will not go for it. So, I know both Squirrel Hill, and Greenfield would not work for him either.

I wish there was somewhere else in between that he would agree on. He also wants to be outside Allegheny County, if possible. I have a week to decide if I'm willing to move East, and either brave the commute, or find another job. What a dilemma!

Old 06-05-2015, 07:42 AM

977 posts, read 568,120 times
There's no good way to make that commute. I make almost the reverse commute on the Parkway (Crafton to Monroeville), which isn't bad, but I do see traffic stacked up from the tunnel to at least Churchill most mornings. Once you get past the Squirrel Hill Tunnels, though, you shouldn't be too bad. Perhaps getting off at Churchill, taking Penn through Wilkensburg, and cutting through some of the back streets into Edgewood might help. Being from Swisshelm Park, I would assume that you'd know how to get from Edgewood to Commericial St. and then through Frick Park into Squirrel Hill on Forward, then taking Forward to the Parkway entrance ramp past the tunnel. Just a thought - it may not be any better than just sitting in the traffic. Personally it's what I would do even if it didn't save time; it would save my blood pressure and piece of mind.

Old 06-05-2015, 08:02 AM

Thanks, stremba! Yes, I do know that back way, and actually use it occasionally . I am the same way, I will go another route even if it make a bit more time to avoid the aggravation of not moving! Traffic gives me major anxiety! LOL I figured there was really no easy way to make that commute. Right now, I have about a 20 minute commute, no parkway, and if we move , I know it will be much worse. I just hate to change jobs, so mine is pretty decent.

Old 06-05-2015, 09:49 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,157,682 times
So you're moving to Monroeville to be closer to your husband's job? Where are you living right now?

Old 06-05-2015, 10:42 AM

We live in South Fayette now. He was offered a position in Greenburg. My parents live in Murrysville, so it would be nice to be closer, but really concerned about the commute. I have a really easy one right now, and I'm not a person that is patient with traffic, LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh