Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 08:35 AM

153 posts, read 685,627 times

Advertisements

'Authentic' Pittsburgh still tough for singles

In Pittsburgh, it's still tough to be single.

Such was the message yesterday from Forbes magazine, which announced that Pittsburgh once again was the "worst" U.S. city in which to be young and unattached. It was Pittsburgh's second year at the bottom of Forbes' "Best Cities for Singles" list -- a list comprising 40 of the country's biggest metropolitan areas.

Pittsburgh is still picking itself up from last year's Forbes drubbing. Its 2002 ranking, accompanied by a story that tagged the "square" and "stagnant" city as "the worst place in American to be stuck with a lonely heart," . . .

--Post-Gazette, June 2003

I had a friend who went to Parents Without Partners and he got a lot of dates there with nice, decent women. Another friend met his wife at Overeaters Anonymous. My uncle met his wife during church activities. You could try Internet dating. 65% say it's enjoyable -- the other 35% are still missing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2007, 09:21 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoker View Post
I had a friend who went to Parents Without Partners and he got a lot of dates there with nice, decent women.
I have a friend who met a man at Parents Without Partners who was pretending to be a parent when he wasn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoker View Post
You could try Internet dating. 65% say it's enjoyable -- the other 35% are still missing.
A friend of mine ultimately found his wife via the internet. Once he set his mind on getting married, we went out together constantly looking for women, but in the end he found a Pittsburgh girl over the internet. They've been happily married for ten years now.

My husband and I found one another the old-fashioned way----introduced by friends of friends at a dinner party.

Old 04-10-2007, 10:15 AM

1,233 posts, read 3,434,255 times
Why not try a dating service? Lots of people use them and do well! Infact, I know of two people who got married that way! You can see videos, read about their likes and dislikes and etc and you have weeded out all the undesirables to date! Its not like you have to get married either, but at least you have weeded out the ones you have nothing in common with or potentially dangerous men. Pgh is a sad place for dating, I know! I grew up there! But you can find someone, if you really want too, at least to date and have fun around town...falling in love is whole other matter! good luck!

Old 04-10-2007, 05:20 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I have a friend who met a man at Parents Without Partners who was pretending to be a parent when he wasn't.
Holy sh*t, you mean people actually do the "About A Boy" gag???

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghPaNative View Post
Why not try a dating service? Lots of people use them and do well! Infact, I know of two people who got married that way! You can see videos, read about their likes and dislikes and etc and you have weeded out all the undesirables to date! Its not like you have to get married either, but at least you have weeded out the ones you have nothing in common with or potentially dangerous men. Pgh is a sad place for dating, I know! I grew up there! But you can find someone, if you really want too, at least to date and have fun around town...falling in love is whole other matter! good luck!
My friend's amusing yet heartbreaking take on internet dating can be found here, here, and here, in that order...

Old 04-10-2007, 05:49 PM

52 posts, read 213,534 times
Hahaha I have tried internet dating and have had absolutely no success. Maybe I'm just too picky...I also have dated men in the weirdest situations (one boyfriend was bought for me by a friend in an auction!) but i am more of an old fashion, meet through friends, meet through events, girl meets boy, they like each other, go out on a date kinda thing. How about grad students? Any grad students with the dish on Pitt's dating scene?

Hopes, I am not sure where I want to live yet. I am headed that way in June to find an apt and can post an update then. Excited about recording my single adventures in the city. The Forbes article is what I was referring to...depressing.

Old 04-10-2007, 07:01 PM

Location: Milky Way Galaxy,Earth,Northern Hemisphere,North America,USA,Pennsyltucky
795 posts, read 2,804,217 times
I met my hubby thru an internet dating site - met my share of losers and playboys with commitment phobia, am happily married now for 2 1/2 years. I'm not a bar goer, but churches, coffee shoppes, and plain old fashioned meeting thru friends or shared social activities are a sure winner. There's alot of nice guys out there, and alot of duds, but IMHO, there truely are more nice guys who are just plain too shy to make the first move - so, alot of times, it's up to us ladies to convince them to make that first move!

Believe me - I can beat your friends internet dating stories by a mile! Marriage proposals on the first introductory email - mostly by middle eastern guys, or guys in Russia. Too many first and last dates to count with guys who totally mis-represented themselves - my fav was the guy who said he looked like Tom Selleck - well, Tom Selleck's short bald grandpap, maybe, wearing a plaid blazer and red pants, and driving a hoopty station wagon, instead of the Mercedes he said he owned. And the introductory email that stated 'i innerstd in u' - I did not even reply to that one, as I figured, if he writes that way, he probably speaks that way.

Now, I've got an intelligent, handsome guy, who buys me roses for no special reason, but he loves me madly, and I love him. God had His own plans, and brought us together on a Christian dating site.

blessings on your adventure, and good luck! Shen

Old 04-10-2007, 08:52 PM

About 15 years ago, there was an old-fashioned matchmaker in the Pittsburgh area named "Marvin." Everyone referred to him as Marvin the Matchmaker. I know quite a few doctors who met their wives through Marvin. Unfortunately, I can't find him listed anywhere at the moment. If he's still in business, you might need to find his name via word of mouth.

Old 04-10-2007, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Holy sh*t, you mean people actually do the "About A Boy" gag???
Yes! They must have gotten the idea for the movie because it's common. This happened to my girlfriend about ten years ago. They went on a few dates before she went to his house and discovered there was no sign of a child. When confronted, he admitted that he had been a stepfather to his ex-wife's child years prior (as if that counted), but there was no child currently in his life. What nerve! Maybe that's a sad testament to how bad the dating scene is in Pittsburgh.

Old 04-10-2007, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susecita View Post
Hopes, I am not sure where I want to live yet. I am headed that way in June to find an apt and can post an update then. Excited about recording my single adventures in the city.
I recommend picking an area where there are many singles. If you can afford it, Shadyside would be perfect.

Old 04-10-2007, 09:05 PM

2,201 posts, read 2,515,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susecita View Post
I knoooow this should not matter but being in my prime and single it just ocurred to me that I have not asked about this. I read recently that Pittsburgh was one of the worst cities to be single at. Is this true? If not, what are the arguments against these? I am 26 and can see many undergrads etc but not sure how the bit older single scene would look. Thanks!

Sus
I think that someone says this about their city in every city in the US!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh