Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 12:20 PM

120 posts, read 302,343 times

Advertisements

Has anyone seen the article in today's Pittsburgh Tribune-Review about how horrible our economy is? Apparently the region lost nearly 28,000 THOUSAND jobs in April compared with the same month a year ago.

That's a lot of jobs! I knew things were bad everywhere, but the way everyone on this forum talks about Pittsburgh, I assumed that Pittsburgh wasn't experiencing the same problems the rest of the nation.

The article states "The decline is the worst year-over-year job loss in the Pittsburgh region in at least two decades - AND MIGHT BE THE WORST SINCE THE REGION'S STEEL INDUSTRY WAS DEVASTATED IN THE 1980'S."

I guess it's likely to get worse before it gets better. There is a silver lining however, because Pittsburgh has seen growth in this recession in areas such as education and health care.

The real estate on the other hand s*cks even more. Places like Pittsburgh really can't afford to lose anything in any industry because it's so far behind the eight ball to begin with. (For example, we had no increase in real estate like other cities, yet our real estate is considered to be priced average for what is available. Not as inexpensive as everyone here likes to state.) Let's hope the income tax increase that's being proposed doesn't pass! That's all we need here - MORE taxes! We're already heavily taxed. The burden of more taxes will surely hurt our economy and real estate market even further.

Also that group of crazed citizens from the North side appear to be hell bent on ruining any chance this city has to continue it's growth spurt along the North Shore. I read that the protesters were "demanding that North Shore developers agree to a Community Benefits Agreement that would ENSURE JOBS AND OTHER BENEFITS FOR RESIDENTS." Huh??? If I were the developers I'd take my money and run to another city. Who needs that? I find it amazing that a group of people would be so demanding at a time when this city is lucky to see any development at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 01:04 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,154,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotlanta2 View Post
Has anyone seen the article in today's Pittsburgh Tribune-Review about how horrible our economy is? Apparently the region lost nearly 28,000 THOUSAND jobs in April compared with the same month a year ago.

That's a lot of jobs! I knew things were bad everywhere, but the way everyone on this forum talks about Pittsburgh, I assumed that Pittsburgh wasn't experiencing the same problems the rest of the nation.

The article states "The decline is the worst year-over-year job loss in the Pittsburgh region in at least two decades - AND MIGHT BE THE WORST SINCE THE REGION'S STEEL INDUSTRY WAS DEVASTATED IN THE 1980'S."

I guess it's likely to get worse before it gets better. There is a silver lining however, because Pittsburgh has seen growth in this recession in areas such as education and health care.

The real estate on the other hand s*cks even more. Places like Pittsburgh really can't afford to lose anything in any industry because it's so far behind the eight ball to begin with. (For example, we had no increase in real estate like other cities, yet our real estate is considered to be priced average for what is available. Not as inexpensive as everyone here likes to state.) Let's hope the income tax increase that's being proposed doesn't pass! That's all we need here - MORE taxes! We're already heavily taxed. The burden of more taxes will surely hurt our economy and real estate market even further.

Also that group of crazed citizens from the North side appear to be hell bent on ruining any chance this city has to continue it's growth spurt along the North Shore. I read that the protesters were "demanding that North Shore developers agree to a Community Benefits Agreement that would ENSURE JOBS AND OTHER BENEFITS FOR RESIDENTS." Huh??? If I were the developers I'd take my money and run to another city. Who needs that? I find it amazing that a group of people would be so demanding at a time when this city is lucky to see any development at all.
It isn't 28,000 jobs lost in only one month, but companre to a year ago. Go to www.pittsburghfuture.blogspot.com and you will see that we actually had the 10th least damaging job losses (precentage wise). We lost about 2% of our jobs while places like Detroit, Charlotte, Phoenix, etc have lost over 6% of their jobs. So it can be much worse still.

Old 05-27-2009, 01:51 PM

4,412 posts, read 3,959,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotlanta2 View Post

Lord, the sky does seem to fall alot on this board, does it not?

As for those "crazed citizens," you do know that the North Shore development in question has a considerable amount of public funding attached. Are they crazed to ask that they recieve some benefit from a development in their community utilizing their tax money?

Old 05-27-2009, 02:22 PM

152 posts, read 639,040 times
There's people on the Pgh board who would look at a man with one leg and say, "at least he still has the other one."

Optimism in the face of reality is no virtue.

If our economy had ever been as good as places like LA and Phoenix we could celebrate, an already depressed economy falling further is nothing to be happy about.

Old 05-27-2009, 02:24 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,154,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveinPA View Post
There's people on the Pgh board who would look at a man with one leg and say, "at least he still has the other one."

If our economy had ever been as good as places like LA and Phoenix we could celebrate, an already depressed economy falling further is nothing to be happy about.
LA's economy sucks.

Old 05-27-2009, 03:05 PM

2,458 posts, read 4,204,019 times
Quote:
...you do know that the North Shore development in question has a considerable amount of public funding attached. Are they crazed to ask that they recieve some benefit from a development in their community utilizing their tax money?
Well, one could argue that if it was only their tax money involved, they might be in line for preferrential treatment, over and above all the other taxpayers in town. Given that their "community" is cut off from the whole riverfront by Rt 65, and that the whole area along the shore has been commercial/industrial for as long as anyone alive can remember, I'm not sure it's a very valid arguement.

Old 05-27-2009, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveinPA View Post

Thank you! You took the words right out of my mouth.

Old 05-27-2009, 03:51 PM

2,458 posts, read 4,204,019 times
On the other hand, when translated into something like "consumer confidence" optimism is good, regardless of reality. And pessism becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy...

Old 05-27-2009, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
Lord, the sky does seem to fall alot on this board, does it not?

As for those "crazed citizens," you do know that the North Shore development in question has a considerable amount of public funding attached. Are they crazed to ask that they recieve some benefit from a development in their community utilizing their tax money?
I didn't realize that only a few people were allowed to benefit from this project....

Old 05-27-2009, 06:57 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,712,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
LA's economy sucks.
You're right. California's economy in general is in a state of collapse. Pittsburgh's unemployment rate is around 7.5%. I'm so sick of the people on this forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh