Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 04:52 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,154,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by COPANUT View Post
But what about a parade??? Ya gotta have a parade to make it official n'at.
What will happen: 1. Obama will treat the leaders to Pamela's n show them the Strip.
2. We will have a parade for the G20 leaders of the world who are coming the day before.
3. Fireworks after the meeting wraps up!
Great plan!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 06:12 PM

2,458 posts, read 4,204,019 times
Ya know, a lot of the protestors might be coming to Pitsburgh for the first time. I think somebody from here should organize a protest march up McCardle Roadway, to Grandview Ave, so they can see how cool the Golden Triangle looks from up there. Then they can all take the incline back down...

Old 05-28-2009, 08:00 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,712,700 times
Default Pittsburgh to host next G20

Spin it, haters. I can't wait to hear why.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:04 PM

94 posts, read 422,786 times
HUGE for the city.... VERY VERY VERY HUGE! I'm surprised it wasnt held in Charlotte.... Finance capitol of the US

Old 05-28-2009, 08:13 PM

I know. Why would the president embarrass the country like this?

P.S. Charlotte was finance capital back when paper money was (possibly) worth something.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:16 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,154,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReason View Post
HUGE for the city.... VERY VERY VERY HUGE! I'm surprised it wasnt held in Charlotte.... Finance capitol of the US
Lol not anymore. Wachovia is now sold off to Wells Fargo and Bank of America isn't doing well.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:20 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times
damn, and people made fun of harrison.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Lol not anymore. Wachovia is now sold off to Wells Fargo and Bank of America isn't doing well.

This is getting dangerously close to becoming a Charlotte-bashing thread. That wasn't my intention, since I've done that enough.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:46 PM

119 posts, read 460,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
This is getting dangerously close to becoming a Charlotte-bashing thread. That wasn't my intention, since I've done that enough.
While many businesses will probably take a loss and opt to close for a day or to, and anarchists may smash a few windows, this is great news for Pittsburgh. World class cities host G20 summits...London, Berlin, New Delhi, Beijing, Cape Town... For Pittsburgh to be in that company is great for global exposure.

As far as Charlotte, give them another 10 or 15 years, and you just might be looking at the old East Hills Mall or Saw Mill Run Blvd. for miles and miles. Shiny 90's era sprawl development built by cheap labor is going to rust very quickly, especially if the trends continue towards denser urban development and mixed use, walkable neighborhoods.

Old 05-28-2009, 09:13 PM

2,458 posts, read 4,204,019 times
I made a few joking posts in the other thread on this subject. This one is perfectly serious.

In the thread "Cities with unfair reputations" here, this article in the PG was cited: City's lack of glitz now a selling point for conventions You remember it.

Quote:
VisitPittsburgh is now marketing the city as a glamorless destination for the post-luxury age.

"Nobody is going to raise their eyebrows when you book your conference in Pittsburgh," said Craig Davis, vice president of sales and marketing for the region's official tourism agency.
I've read a few articles about the protests in London, which attracted hundreds, or thousands, or tens of thousands of protestors, depending on which article you read about which protest.

I honestly wonder if the "glamorless destination" factor didn't play into the decision to host the summit here. In the other thread, I was only partly joking about whether protestors will drink on the South Side. If they do come, they're not going to spend every minute protesting. If you were going to go protest something, would you be more likely to want to do it in a 'destination city', like London, or in glamorless, glitzless, why-the-hell-would-I-wanna-go-there, Pittsburgh?

Maybe they decided to do it here for a reason they didn't actually state...

On edit: Good enough, Creepsinc?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh