Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 09:59 AM

7 posts, read 23,791 times

Advertisements

I've been reading your messages with Queenb2912. I too will be relocating to Pittsburgh with my husband and 3 children. My husband will be working @ CMU. School district is #! as I have a special needs children. We are moving from Long Island and love the suburbs, nice communities, kid friendly close shopping. I will look into Peters township as you suggested. We want to stay south or east of Pittsburgh since we still have family coming from LI. Any other areas you can suggest would be helpful. Also how far would peters township be from CMU?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 10:27 AM

1,776 posts, read 2,697,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmac1972 View Post
Also how far would peters township be from CMU?
Probably 45+ minutes during rush hours if you're driving. If you can get near a T stop you could take transit. Probably would still take the same amount of time, but it's certainly less of a headache. Maybe it's just me though....I can't stand being trapped in traffic in my car.

Have you checked any of the nicer, upscale inner-ring suburbs such as Mt. Lebanon?

Old 06-03-2009, 10:55 AM

2,868 posts, read 9,551,616 times
MT. LEBANON!!!! My neighbor works at CMU.

Old 06-03-2009, 01:52 PM

524 posts, read 1,036,351 times
Also check out these communities in the Fox Chapel school district: O'Hara Township, Fox Chapel proper, and Indiana Township. They are to the east of Pittsburgh, and are very close to the Pa. Turnpike, where your relatives will likely be driving in from. The schools are very good, and the commute to CMU will be much shorter than from Peters Township.

Old 06-03-2009, 03:02 PM

269 posts, read 1,054,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmac1972 View Post
School district is #! as I have a special needs children.
Are you looking for a public school district or private? How old are your children? I'm not sure which districts are better for special needs (I'm sure it depends on the child). If you are looking for suburbs, I'd suggest Fox Chapel, O'Hara, and possibly some areas in the North Hills. I've heard good things about Sewickley area schools too. As for the south, Mt. Lebanon and Upper St. Clair consistently get mentioned for having good schools.

Old 06-03-2009, 03:53 PM

120 posts, read 302,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmorrisn View Post
Are you looking for a public school district or private? How old are your children? I'm not sure which districts are better for special needs (I'm sure it depends on the child). If you are looking for suburbs, I'd suggest Fox Chapel, O'Hara, and possibly some areas in the North Hills. I've heard good things about Sewickley area schools too. As for the south, Mt. Lebanon and Upper St. Clair consistently get mentioned for having good schools.
Those are all great areas. However, I still suggest Peter's Township because it's very homey, TONS of new homes, BEAUTIFUL well kept older homes, YARDS! The school is top notch and it's much less expensive than Mt. Lebanon or Upper St. Clair. In fact, most people moving here are from Upper St. Clair or Mt. Lebanon. They do so because they would like more land, newer housing, and CHEAPER TAXES!
Anyway, whatever you decide, you will like living in Pittsburgh.

Old 06-03-2009, 04:36 PM

75 posts, read 214,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenB2912 View Post
Thanks Hotlanta 2 ~ I appreciate your help. One more question....what do you all consider high taxes? We live in NJ right now & our taxes are about 5k/year for a 3br/2ba townhouse!
I also recommend Peters. The tax base is low considering how much land and house that you get there. The schools are terrific the recreational sports and school teams are all strongly supported. I moved away from there 2 years ago to KY and really miss the community feeling that Peters provides.

As far as taxes...I was paying 5000.00 per year on a 3000 square ft house with 3/4 acre in a development. I think that price would be a little higher now but not what you are used to.

You will however be about 35-40 min commute to town. If your husband doesnt want to drive though he can get on the "T" at South Hills Village which is only 10-15 drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh