Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 07:25 AM

1 posts, read 4,847 times
It is i admit hard finding what you may refer to suitable black professional mates in Pittsburgh although they do exist. The Shadow Lounge in East Liberty is a nice laid back social lounge, where it's mixed, safe, and where people go to have a good time. I am not a party animal, but i have hung out here a few times a month. I am a young black business owner who can attest to the fact that the vast majority of blacks in Pittsburgh are just Ghetto. I'm from the Ghetto, but have transcended that mentality, and has had a hard time finding a suitable black female mate. Although there are many beautiful black women here as anywhere, the mentalities, in my opinion are just hood. I like a little hood as i want my better part to have had some trials and tribulations, but the neighborhood weed man is not the ultimate catch, and this is coming from a very handsome, stable, and successful businessman.......Good Luck !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 08:51 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,847,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjd View Post
What's your problem? I never said anything about black people being thugs, gangstas, or anything else you mentioned. I think you have some issues with race that you need to get straightened out. If you're such a "professional" you should know that "a lot" is actually two words and capitalizing every other word in a sentence is immature and makes you look like a fool. Take your bitterness out on someone else.
My problem -

Is your listing every ghetto neighborhood in Pittsburgh, as if these are the only places blacks want to hang out in.. makes you Ignorant! She specifically said "Professional Black" atmosphere...I think you knew very well what she ment.

my bitterness is directly at who it should be, someone purposely listing every black ghetto in Pittsburgh to sterotype blacks.

If this was not your intention then please, explain your reasoning for listing every Pittsburgh ghetto, when this person again specifically stated "Professional Blacks"....

As for my mispellings - you should be the last person to play grammar professer, ok, i've seen plenty of your post to know.

Old 06-02-2009, 01:18 PM

6 posts, read 26,411 times
Please don't get my thread shut down. I'm choosing just to ignore the posts that don't apply to what I'm looking for. If anyone has anything else to add about professional black singles, then great. If not, then I appreciate what I have learned thus far!

Old 06-02-2009, 01:33 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,598,282 times
Earlier, I was going to recommend getting involved in a volunteer initiative that benefits the disadvantaged and also might attract other professional blacks who want to give back to the community. It all depends on your passion. You know what they say about meeting people with similar interests when you do things you love. I believe that whole heartedly. Just become active in things you love. If you do things that end up attracting other professional blacks too, then that's a bonus. Either way, your life will be enriched.

(As for the other issue, I'll resist explaining in detail that a white person being embarrased by his posts has nothing to do with being embarrassed about being white. )

Old 06-02-2009, 02:17 PM

18,927 posts, read 11,516,629 times
Lana, Pittsburgh's minority population does tend to be rather segregated so it could be difficult to find whole areas or even many professional-level clubs, restaurants and such that are frequented almost exclusively by black professionals. It's not hopeless, but it's probably not the scene you were imagining.

That said, through your work, your neighborhood (Shadyside, right?) and activities, you should be able to meet some like-minded and like-cultured people. In Shadyside, Ellsworth Ave has a bunch of different restaurants and coffee shops, like the Elbow Room, that have outdoor seating and a young professional vibe. Regent Square, Point Breeze (Point Brugge Cafe), Squirrel Hill, North Oakland (universities), South Side/Station Square - all of these are urban neighborhoods worth exploring. They have cafes, movies, theatre, shopping, parks, galleries, museums, gyms, sports, music, jazz clubs and other activities that will help you get involved and interested in life here in Pittsburgh. Through your friends at work and an active lifestyle, the rest will follow.

I hope you find what you're looking for and enjoy Pittsburgh!

Old 06-04-2009, 01:28 PM

374 posts, read 1,280,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
She's interested in meeting black professionals, not people hanging out on street corners in Pittsburgh's ghettos.

You never fail to amaze me when the subject is even remotely related to race.

I wish I could thank each and everyone of your post. These guys really know how to turn a good thread negative real quick. I wouldn't be surprised if he was a teenaged kid. Anyway to the OP... As others stated We're everywhere. I would really check the shadow in East Liberty.

Old 06-04-2009, 03:42 PM

1,369 posts, read 3,298,377 times
When I lived in Pittsburgh I knew a couple single, professional late 20s African-American females and they had a lot of trouble finding a man...so you won't be the only person with this problem/question.

I recommend you join the young professionals organization in Pittsburgh. When I showed up to one of their meetings it was 80% men and there were some African American guys there...and it will be good for networking in the business community.

If you want diverse nightlife, the Firehouse in the Strip District has a large variety of people. I don't know how old you are but if you are in the 25-40 bracket you'll find a very, very good mix of people there...hip type people...of all races. When I was in graduate school a lot of the students from Europe, Asia and Africa LOVED the place due to its diversity. It is, IMO, the most diverse hotspot in Pittsburgh, in terms of age, race and overall personality types.

I think a lot of the restaurants in the Strip like Kaya do very well too in terms of diversity on the professional end. The spots in Shadyside mentioned above like Soba and Red Room are decent choices, but I don't recall seeing many African-American professional types at Soba, although I do remember some in the Red Room.

Old 06-04-2009, 08:53 PM

758 posts, read 1,218,192 times
How about black organizations?? Jack & Jill chapters..the Links, frat and soro alumni like Deltas or Q's..
these are most likely educated and professional people...they might be young or know some younger
professionals..Lodges..

Old 06-10-2009, 03:05 PM

747 posts, read 1,225,136 times
Default Young black Professional Scene

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Pittsburgh has a black population of less than 13% and the black professional % is even lower, now if you factor in the married and gay men that number is even lower. If you notice that there is not a neighborhood that is predominated by upper middle class blacks. Many of the places previously listed are all economically and workforce diversed. All that I can say is GOOD LUCK! hey maybe I will see you there
Pittsburgh's black population is above 30%. You must have confused Allegheny County's population with the city proper. Middle to upper middle class black are pretty much invisible to the overall metro but we are concentrasted in the East End and its suburbs (Stanton Heights, Sugar Top, Blackridge, Churchill, Penn hills, Plum, Monroeville etc.....

With that said, many young urban professional adults recognized the problem with meeting like minded individuals in the late 90's. Since then monthly gathering were put together and these outing are very popular. Last Friday and Saturday my wife and I attended the First Friday event at the Shadow Loung / Ava /Blueroom (connected). On Saturday we attended The first Saturday event as well. it was held at an event flex space called Navvarra. It is owned and operated by the Bossa Nova lounge which is an upscale lounge in the heart of the cultural district. Both events were amazing everyone looked amazing (especially my wife)!!!!! Here you will find an asortment of well groomed educated young black professionals mixed with white, asian, even latino!!!!! most of these people come from places that are used to seeing and interacting with a diverse croud...... The music is amazing as well. We do have poetry slams and most of the larger historic black churches (Mt.Arott, Petra,Covenant) have singles event as well (mixed in with a little jesus).... There are lots of artsy things to do as well. From Downtown Gallery Crawls to the Penn Avenue Arts district monthly crawls, there is alot to do for singles. Oh!! The August Wilson Center For African American Culture will open in the heart of downtown and will bring all of the urban young black professional types to the downtown scene with the in house cafe and lounge with outdoor seating. A soft opening and festival was held last week and the place beat all of my expectations.

Sincerly.

Young Black Professional!

Old 06-10-2009, 06:28 PM

6 posts, read 26,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins View Post
Pittsburgh's black population is above 30%. You must have confused Allegheny County's population with the city proper. Middle to upper middle class black are pretty much invisible to the overall metro but we are concentrasted in the East End and its suburbs (Stanton Heights, Sugar Top, Blackridge, Churchill, Penn hills, Plum, Monroeville etc.....

With that said, many young urban professional adults recognized the problem with meeting like minded individuals in the late 90's. Since then monthly gathering were put together and these outing are very popular. Last Friday and Saturday my wife and I attended the First Friday event at the Shadow Loung / Ava /Blueroom (connected). On Saturday we attended The first Saturday event as well. it was held at an event flex space called Navvarra. It is owned and operated by the Bossa Nova lounge which is an upscale lounge in the heart of the cultural district. Both events were amazing everyone looked amazing (especially my wife)!!!!! Here you will find an asortment of well groomed educated young black professionals mixed with white, asian, even latino!!!!! most of these people come from places that are used to seeing and interacting with a diverse croud...... The music is amazing as well. We do have poetry slams and most of the larger historic black churches (Mt.Arott, Petra,Covenant) have singles event as well (mixed in with a little jesus).... There are lots of artsy things to do as well. From Downtown Gallery Crawls to the Penn Avenue Arts district monthly crawls, there is alot to do for singles. Oh!! The August Wilson Center For African American Culture will open in the heart of downtown and will bring all of the urban young black professional types to the downtown scene with the in house cafe and lounge with outdoor seating. A soft opening and festival was held last week and the place beat all of my expectations.

Sincerly.

Young Black Professional!
Great, this sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh