Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2011, 11:14 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times

Advertisements

Did we know about the Diamond Market Bar & Grill, going into the former Jenny Lee Bakery? Sounds like a potentially interesting addition to the Market Square restaurant scene.

Anyway, obviously the new Market Square has proven to be a huge success. I know the relatively basic design had its detractors, but the place just works extremely well now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
And they are putting 16 condos into the building at 524 Penn (which they are calling One Fifth Ave.):

Penn Renaissance to bring more condos downtown

That is a lot of new residential projects in a short period of time--it is nice to see the pipeline flowing again.

By the way, here is a link to a streetview of the 711/713 buildings--they are pretty awesome, and of course it is great they are going to preserve the exteriors:

711 penn avenue pittsburgh - Google Maps

Old 06-01-2011, 07:30 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,811,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Did we know about the Diamond Market Bar & Grill, going into the former Jenny Lee Bakery? Sounds like a potentially interesting addition to the Market Square restaurant scene.

Anyway, obviously the new Market Square has proven to be a huge success. I know the relatively basic design had its detractors, but the place just works extremely well now.
I think it was just an unnamed project from the primanti folks, decent name. t they got the basics of the square right which is most important...namely one sq rather than four small ones. the project seems to have been well executed and since it wasn't a large redevelopment scheme with subsidies for a big chain, it has attracted small businesses using the small storefronts. the idea for the square was practical and proven.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:27 AM

They were wise to go the "European piazza" route. The big empty expanse of pavement is key to such designs, and while that may not look as cool in renderings as some alternatives (I've heard people compare the new Market Square to a parking lot), it works once that expanse is filled with people.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:50 AM

1,445 posts, read 1,971,575 times
I biked over to downtown last Sunday afternoon and was surprised at how many people were out in Market Square and PPG Plaza. Lots of people sitting in the square and lots of families with kids running around the PPG fountain. I'll admit that I was one of the skeptics but they've made a really nice urban space.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:06 AM

540 posts, read 867,932 times
I really like both Market Square and PPG Plaza. We took the kids to play in the fountain on Memorial Day. One small complaint though, would it have been too much to ask to add in a public drinking fountain in the Market Square renovation?

Old 06-02-2011, 08:17 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trotter_rej View Post
I really like both Market Square and PPG Plaza. We took the kids to play in the fountain on Memorial Day. One small complaint though, would it have been too much to ask to add in a public drinking fountain in the Market Square renovation?
Besides a drinking fountain would it be viable to install recycling bins Downtown adjacent to the current trash bins? On most of my weekdays off I'll walk to the North Shore to visit my better half on his lunch break, and then we'll walk Downtown to sit outside somewhere and have lunch. I always feel so guilty chucking my plastic bottles or aluminum cans into the trash, but I can never seem to find a recycling container.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:21 AM

I'd contact the Pittsburgh Downtown Partnership and suggest both of those things (a drinking fountain and recycling). It is still a work in progress and I think they are open to anything that will help it become more attractive.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:30 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I'd contact the Pittsburgh Downtown Partnership and suggest both of those things (a drinking fountain and recycling). It is still a work in progress and I think they are open to anything that will help it become more attractive.
I just posted both ideas onto the "wall" of their Facebook page. The powers-that-be that govern that profile page are pretty interactive, so hopefully that will be passed along.

Old 06-02-2011, 10:59 AM

7,112 posts, read 10,129,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Besides a drinking fountain would it be viable to install recycling bins Downtown adjacent to the current trash bins? On most of my weekdays off I'll walk to the North Shore to visit my better half on his lunch break, and then we'll walk Downtown to sit outside somewhere and have lunch. I always feel so guilty chucking my plastic bottles or aluminum cans into the trash, but I can never seem to find a recycling container.
Don't worry. At the end of the day, they empty all the bins into one trash bin anyway. Really, I've seen it happen on many occasions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh