Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2011, 08:16 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,817,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
You see, a long, long time ago in a galaxy far, far away people actually used to live in cities. Then came the automobile, and people decided "Hey, I don't want my kids going to school with those kids, so I'm moving to these newfangled things called suburbs to be with people more like myself". Soon savvy merchants followed their clientele out of the city as well to better serve them. Cities, in a desperate attempt to regain their prominence within the metropolitan areas they once dominated, tore down historic treasure after historic treasure for massive surface parking lots, hoping to entice ex-city residents to drive back into the city from time to time to help support its economic foundation.

Now nine times out of ten when the city tries to rebuild these lost treasures the end results look like garbage (i.e. the newer residential additions on Herron Avenue in Polish Hill).
urban renewal was a federal program and as I understand it, was very much modeled on what people had seen in europe with the complete destruction of cities and consequent rebuilding. some thought that simply remaking the way we live would drive our economy, and it did, for a while, though I'm not sure it really added any value for all its cost...years later many renewal areas have never recovered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 08:36 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
years later many renewal areas have never recovered.
Yep. That horrific Allegheny Center comes to mind.

Old 11-08-2011, 06:17 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,893,724 times
Mayor's roundtable to beef up Downtown retail district

Read more: Mayor's roundtable to beef up Downtown retail district

Quote:
Yarone Zober, the mayor's chief of staff, said the goal is not to try to re-create the grandiose Fifth and Forbes plans floated by former Mayor Tom Murphy, but to appeal to retailers that might be a "good fit" for Downtown.

Old 11-08-2011, 07:41 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,012,123 times
More boutique-type stuff could be a good idea.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:25 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,893,724 times
I would like to see a Daffy's go into the Lord Taylor/Mellon building......Sort of Discount Department Store if you will....They're very successful in other City Centers NYC and Philly

http://www.daffys.com/

Old 11-08-2011, 02:01 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,152,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
I would like to see a Daffy's go into the Lord Taylor/Mellon building......Sort of Discount Department Store if you will....They're very successful in other City Centers NYC and Philly

Daffy's
That would be something great for Downtown since it would be able to bring people down there to go to a store that's nothing like anywhere else in this region.

Old 11-08-2011, 02:42 PM

9,331 posts, read 13,002,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
You see, a long, long time ago in a galaxy far, far away people actually used to live in cities. Then came the automobile, and people decided "Hey, I don't want my kids going to school with those kids, so I'm moving to these newfangled things called suburbs to be with people more like myself".
Way to simplify the birth of the American suburb.

Old 11-08-2011, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
Way to simplify the birth of the American suburb.
suburbs predate the automobile, in fact, the word itself dates to the railroad era..as does commuter which were people who paid commuted fares....now that term applies to people in cars as well.

Old 11-08-2011, 03:06 PM

9,331 posts, read 13,002,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
suburbs predate the automobile, in fact, the word itself dates to the railroad era..as does commuter which were people who paid commuted fares....now that term applies to people in cars as well.
Not only that, but immediately post-WWII, many families, GI bills in hand, flocked to the suburbs seeking cheap land and some breathing room. White flight didn't take center stage until bussing came into play (mid-60s on).

Old 11-08-2011, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
Not only that, but immediately post-WWII, many families, GI bills in hand, flocked to the suburbs seeking cheap land and some breathing room. White flight didn't take center stage until bussing came into play (mid-60s on).
that's not entirely true, white flight started with the great migration c WWI...and was exacerbated by new deal era policies like red lining that actually increased segregation. things like standard lot sizes meant that you couldn't get subsidized mortgages (also a new deal era invention) for city homes since they often didn't fit the lot requirements. white flight probably peaked in the mid-60's but it didn't start then. one reason people lived in small homes prior to the 30's is they had to get private loans without government subsidies..and they often required larger down payments...hence lower prices and smaller homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh