Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2012, 11:26 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,811,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
How is anyone wrong by stating facts? I restated the FACT that the increase was 25% of a very small number over a very long time, since 2000. Lets not get carried away with this. The population downtown is quite small if you compare it to when it was thriving. It is great there is an increase and I feel the trend will continue, but remember, we are talking about from the year 2000 here. Wrong? No one is wrong if they post their opinion. Opinions are personal perspectives. What is wrong is your post, but that happens a lot.
from the original post
Quote:
[LEFT]Since the 2000 census, Downtown's population has increased 25 percent and stood at an estimated 2,148 as of the end of 2008.
Add 2,428 university and technical students, as well as 89 private houses and other housing and the total population within the Golden Triangle was about 4,576 at the end of 2008, according to the Downtown Partnership

Read more: A GAMBLE ON DOWNTOWN | TribLIVE

the most recent estimate put it at 7400 or so. assuming that 7400 is comparable to the 4576 number, the rate of increase is picking up.

[/LEFT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2012, 11:34 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronPGH View Post
7,000 is not a small number.
You are entitled to you OPINION. Being someone that lived in several other cities, that number isn't big when it comes to cities in the US.

Anyway, neither of us are "wrong". Opinions are opinions, nothing more.

Old 11-14-2012, 11:38 AM

1,776 posts, read 2,696,843 times
7,000 is large when you are comparing it to similar-sized plots of land in similar-sized cities. You're right, we *do not* have the downtown population of Chicago. What was I thinking?

Old 11-14-2012, 11:39 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
the most recent estimate put it at 7400 or so. assuming that 7400 is comparable to the 4576 number, the rate of increase is picking up.
I already stated "the trend will continue". I do feel it is going to pick up little by little. There is no bad news here, I just found the timeline and amount a bit funny is all. Compared to some other cities I have lived, that increase would be depressing. I do like Pittsburgh's slow steady growth, over the boomtown places that have wild fluctuations though.

Old 11-14-2012, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I already stated "the trend will continue". I do feel it is going to pick up little by little. There is no bad news here, I just found the timeline and amount a bit funny is all. Compared to some other cities I have lived, that increase would be depressing. I do like Pittsburgh's slow steady growth, over the boomtown places that have wild fluctuations though.
that's actually pretty rapid growth since 2008, the numbers are still relatively small, but the density is already twice the citywide average. for a little perspective, downtown would need a population around 20k to equal center city philadelphia's population density. the thing about downtowns as, to a point, they get more desirable as people move there.

Old 11-14-2012, 12:38 PM
gg

Quote:
that's actually pretty rapid growth since 2008, the numbers are still relatively small, but the density is already twice the citywide average. for a little perspective, downtown would need a population around 20k to equal center city philadelphia's population density. the thing about downtowns as, to a point, they get more desirable as people move there.
One would have to be living under a rock not to see growth in Pittsburgh. I mean the future looks not only bright, but very bright. I like the pace. It is steady and has a really good feel. It doesn't feel like some plastic growth that would or could fall in a second. It looks very sustainable.

Old 11-21-2012, 05:55 AM

Quote:
When the city launched a campaign last year to fill vacant storefronts Downtown with quirky shops and displays, it did so with the hope that some might decide to stick around for a while.
And it looks like three of them will do just that....Ms. Barker said she is close to completing negotiations on a three-year lease, with an option for three more, with landlord Merrill Stabile...
Boutique 208, Dream Cream Ice Cream and Awesome Books are looking to set out on their own...To take advantage of the crowds for shows and concerts, Boutique 208 has evening hours on Wednesdays through Saturdays.

Read more: 3 Downtown pop-up stores plan to stay - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Old 11-23-2012, 05:09 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times
The bit about the good business on evenings and weekends was interesting--it would definitely be nice if more stores moved in that direction.

Old 11-23-2012, 07:55 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,644,131 times
Quote:
I read the article and to my surprise discovered that I know one of the owners of one of the businesses profiled. What are the odds considering that I haven't even moved yet?

Old 11-28-2012, 06:21 AM

Quote:
City planning commission members heard or approved plans Tuesday for another 137 apartment units and four condominiums on a stretch of Penn Avenue running from Sixth Street to the Strip District...On Penn Avenue, Philadelphia developer PMC Property Group, which has made a big splash Downtown since entering the market in 2010, is responsible for the lion's share of the 137 apartment units under development.
The commission approved the developer's plans to convert the Jackman Building at 526 Penn Ave. into 72 one- and two-bedroom apartments. The upper floors of the 10-story former office building are now vacant...The studios and one- and two-bedroom units would range in size from 600 to 1,000 square feet. PMC also is planning to restore the facade of the building, built in 1896, and use the first floor for either retail or housing...Meanwhile, developer Todd Palcic presented a proposal to the commission to add two stories to side-by-side seven-story buildings at 907-909 Penn and construct 36 apartments...
Read more: Pittsburgh Planning Commission approves several housing plans - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh