Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2012, 07:54 AM

1,776 posts, read 2,700,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I have to laugh every time I see this subject. I always think to myself, yeah the downtown population increased 25%. It went from 100 to 125.
Try over 7,000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2012, 11:07 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,836,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
You originally claimed the information in this article proved the correctness of a certain opinion of yours, and in fact that was not based on sound reasoning.
wrong, it was in fact based on sound reasoning which you've gone through several iterations of rhetorical games in your failed effort to prove that you are the sole holder of all knowledge on all things. this is not the case, and economics appears to be one of your weak points. I will never teach you anything and I'll just live with that.
Quote:
...If you aren't arguing that the Parking Authority's subsidized pricing is also lowering pricing at the private garages (b), then (a) can't be true either...If that pricing is the exact same as it would be even without the Parking Authority's interference in the market, and yet those private garages are filling up while lower-priced garages on the periphery have excess capacity, then that observation is in fact definitive proof there is ...demand for the available core-Downtown parking even at full market prices.
I have no evidence that prices at private garages are lower nor do I have proof that their rates do not allow a profit. there is definitive proof that there is demand for core downtown parking even at market prices, what isn't proof, of course, is that the quantity demanded would be the same. basic economics indicates otherwise. as the prices rises, quantity demanded decreases. there is no firm evidence of your claim that the same demand would occur at higher prices. it is entirely possible that if all spaces were priced at market, there would be less "need" for more core parking since demand would be lower, the differential for fringe parking would be greater (making it relatively more desirable) and the bus would also be relatively more desirable, as would downtown living.

Quote:
Honestly, I think you are tying yourself into logical knots because you are trying to make too many arguments against the Parking Authority at the same time. You have a very good argument to the effect that the Parking Authority's interference is distorting the Downtown parking market in ways that may well lead to artificial shortages. But you do not have a good argument to the effect that the manifest consumer preference for core-Downtown parking is illusionary, and it only undermines your ultimate cause to insist as much.
this is incorrect, it does not undermine it whatsoever. you are intelligent enough to agree to one point and disagree to another; the problem lies with you. you are having difficulty with my second hypothesis which is, in fact, based on sound logic, so you can't buy the first. generally when someone claims they know the sole outcome as you have done, they are using faulty reasoning.

Old 10-31-2012, 12:10 PM

747 posts, read 1,233,053 times
Millcraft Industries started demolition / deconstruction for the Gardens Project. Im thrilled that two highrise developments will rise within block of one another. If Oxford decides to construct a skyscaper, that will be amazing!

Old 11-14-2012, 08:41 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,040,990 times
Some interesting ideas for Downtown improvements:

Millions in updates called for to revive Pittsburgh's Downtown retail - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

This nominally has a retail focus, but a lot of the proposals could make Downtown a better place to live or work.

Old 11-14-2012, 08:59 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 26,009,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronPGH View Post
Try over 7,000.
Okay, 7000 since the year 2000. Still funny to be quite honest.

Old 11-14-2012, 09:38 AM

1,445 posts, read 1,973,971 times
Quote:
Why is that funny?

Old 11-14-2012, 09:46 AM

716 posts, read 766,826 times
Quote:
That's a pretty significant population density change for area that's only a little over a half square mile. Why is it funny?

Old 11-14-2012, 09:49 AM

Personally I think it's pretty funny when facts prove curtis completely wrong. (happens a lot)

Old 11-14-2012, 11:21 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 26,009,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronPGH View Post
Personally I think it's pretty funny when facts prove curtis completely wrong. (happens a lot)
How is anyone wrong by stating facts? I restated the FACT that the increase was 25% of a very small number over a very long time, since 2000. Lets not get carried away with this. The population downtown is quite small if you compare it to when it was thriving. It is great there is an increase and I feel the trend will continue, but remember, we are talking about from the year 2000 here. Wrong? No one is wrong if they post their opinion. Opinions are personal perspectives. What is wrong is your post, but that happens a lot.

Old 11-14-2012, 11:26 AM

7,000 is not a small number.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh