Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 08:16 PM

23 posts, read 67,833 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, I am just wondering where young professionals live in/around Pittsburgh? I am thinking people either in graduate school or fresh out 20-somethings career-focused and working individuals. I went to college and I don't need to relive it but I do want to meet people my age that are into the same things and want to hang out on the weekends and stuff.

I heard maybe Green Tree? Anyone know certain streets or condo/apartment complexes?

What about Mt. Washington? I'd LOVE to live in Oakland or somewhere like that in the city but I think my roommate and I will be working west of the city, so we may wanna avoid the tunnels, but I probably could be persuaded if the area is right!

Any info would be great! thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2009, 08:24 PM

522 posts, read 1,793,740 times
My unscientific observations say Shadyside probably has the highest concentration. Also, Greentree/Scott Township as you suggest, Mt. Lebanon, Squirrel Hill, Bloomfield/Friendship area, as well as Regent Square. I am a young professional and live in one of the aforementioned areas

I think Oakland is more of the college crowd, not the just graduated college crowd. I am not sure Mt. Washington is very "young professional" either. I think parts of Grandview are very old professional and the rest are very family.

Just my 2 cents.
Cap

Old 06-07-2009, 08:30 PM

23 posts, read 67,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainObvious View Post
My unscientific observations say Shadyside probably has the highest concentration. Also, Greentree/Scott Township as you suggest, Mt. Lebanon, Squirrel Hill, Bloomfield/Friendship area, as well as Regent Square. I am a young professional and live in one of the aforementioned areas

I think Oakland is more of the college crowd, not the just graduated college crowd. I am not sure Mt. Washington is very "young professional" either. I think parts of Grandview are very old professional and the rest are very family.

Just my 2 cents.
Cap
Hey thanks for the response Cap. Any ideas for areas or places in Green Tree/Scott?

Old 06-07-2009, 08:58 PM

522 posts, read 1,793,740 times
Depends heavily on price range, but my experience is you can actually get a great HOUSE for what you would pay to live in an apartment building in that area! Check Craigslist...I haven't looked recently, but a year or so back there were a TON of houses for rent in Greentree and Dormont (incidentally, Dormont might not be a bad place to look- it is very family-ish there, but close to a lot of stuff- and only a 8 minute drive into the Oakland area on weekends...unfortunately it is about 40 minutes on weekday rush hours). As far as specific streets, if it is a house you find you'll just have to go check it out. Do a drive-by and see what the neighborhood looks like (though it is tough to go really wrong in Greentree--there really aren't any "bad" areas). Check into Mount Lebanon as well...lots of houses and apartments for rent there right now, and at fairly reasonable prices....$200,000 homes that have been sitting empty for a year and won't sell are now renting for around $1000/month. Not bad.

Old 06-08-2009, 04:57 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times
If you lived in the Greater Downtown/South Side area and worked west, you would be doing a reverse commute which shouldn't be too bad. I'd say that was your best bet for being around a lot of young professionals. So that would include the South Side (Flats and Slopes), the Bluff, Downtown, the Strip, and the North Side.

Old 06-08-2009, 07:05 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,890,414 times
I always looked at Greentree as Old Money and Family Oriented

For Young Professionals, consider:

- South Side
- Shadyside
- Sq Hill (Closer to the Forbes Murray area the better)
- The Strip below 28th street
- Lower North Side
- Lawrenceville
- Bloomfield
- Downtown

Mt Washington has the potential but is not quite there.

Old 06-08-2009, 07:36 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,526,102 times
Young professionals, and professionals in general, predominately live in Shadyside. I think Scott Township and Greentree are more family oriented. As a general rule, most young professionals and graduate students without families live in the city.

Old 06-08-2009, 08:13 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times
By the way, courtesy of another poster, this is a great tool to use for this sort of thing:

Social Explorer - Demographic Maps

You can zoom in on Pittsburgh in the Census tract map, and then look at which tracts have the highest percentage of people with certain educational attainment, people of a certain age range, income ranges, people with management/professional occupations, or so on.

If you do that, you will notice several different clusters of people with high educational attainment, incomes, and management/professional occupations, including Fox Chapel, Sewickley, Mt Lebanon/Upper St. Clair, the East End, and the Greater Downtown. But if you then also look at, say, the 25-34 age bracket, the Fox Chapel, Sewickley, and Mt Lebanon/Upper St. Clair clusters drop out, leaving the East End and Greater Downtown.

Old 06-08-2009, 09:22 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times
A million years ago in my single years I lived in Crane Village/Hiland Hills complex in Green Tree City. A ton of us were all just starting out, mostly white collar. Great place to meet people. Not sure what the make-up of the apartment buildings are now.

Old 06-08-2009, 09:32 AM

1,776 posts, read 2,696,843 times
I really can't see Greentree fitting the bill for what you want honestly. Shadyside, Squirrel Hill, Lawrenceville (sort of) and Regent Square are all good options. The eastern end of the South Side (near the south side works) is also great for young professionals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh