Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 02:08 AM

2 posts, read 5,086 times

Advertisements

I came upon this forum and have been spending some time looking around and decided to join.

I will be relocating to the Pittsburgh area for a year or two because of my job. While I have always been use to working and living in smaller rural areas, I have no choice in this matter. Believe me I tried to avoid Pgh!

Seems like many posts I have read refer to the 'ghettos', badlands, shootings, and all the bad stuff happening in the city. I am wondering if there is actually any really decent neighborhoods or areas in around Pittsburgh proper? I have talked to some of my friends who lived here and they have mentioned Sewickley, Bradfordwoods, Pine, being all good areas, but that is too far out of Pittsburgh as far as I am concerned.

Another thing, and no I am not a racist, but are there any areas that are predominantly white in Pittsburgh city? My wife is old fashioned and a country gal, so she has not been exposed to the "urban" lifestyle yet.

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited by Disgruntled Traveler; 06-17-2009 at 02:11 AM.. Reason: Grammar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 04:39 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,014,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgruntled Traveler View Post
I am wondering if there is actually any really decent neighborhoods or areas in around Pittsburgh proper?
Yes, there are many nice neighborhoods in the City or close-in suburbs, so many in fact that I would suggest helping people make recommendations by giving a little more detail about what you are looking for in terms of housing type and costs, location and local amenities, and so on.

Quote:
Another thing, and no I am not a racist, but are there any areas that are predominantly white in Pittsburgh city? My wife is old fashioned and a country gal, so she has not been exposed to the "urban" lifestyle yet.
The answer to your question is yes, but I hope you will be open to using this opportunity to have you and your wife get to know some non-white neighbors, as opposed to deliberately segregating yourselves.

Old 06-17-2009, 05:25 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,702,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgruntled Traveler View Post
Believe me I tried to avoid Pgh!

Seems like many posts I have read refer to the 'ghettos', badlands, shootings, and all the bad stuff happening in the city. I am wondering if there is actually any really decent neighborhoods or areas in around Pittsburgh proper?
I'm sorry, if you say you have been reading this website, you haven't paid enough attention. There are far more posts on the great things about this city than the not so desirable areas.

Old 06-17-2009, 05:46 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,153,428 times
Neighborhoods you would like would be Brookline, Green Tree, Summer Hill, Bloomfield, some of Lawrenceville, Banksville, Regent Square, and many more. Plus nearly any of the inner ring suburbs will fit your needs. Good luck here.

Old 06-17-2009, 05:48 AM

269 posts, read 1,054,796 times
I agree with scottrpriester - there are very few threads about violence or bad stuff happening in the city. The city itself is very safe, and the suburbs around the city are even safer. If you are intimidated/scared to move here, perhaps consider a suburb or even a town in an adjacent county (Butler, Westmoreland, etc) and commute to work.

As for your request for predominantly white areas - lucky for you the city is predominantly white. This doesn't make the city any better than any other city. And you should reexamine your prejudices and fears about non-white people. Just like whites, non-whites come in a plethora of varieties. Living in a mostly white area does not mean you're living in a good area. I would encourage you to find a neighborhood that meets your criteria and try to befriend all of your neighbors (regardless of color).

Old 06-17-2009, 07:11 AM

1,437 posts, read 3,775,944 times
You sound like a very sheltered couple. You'll fit right in here in the 'burgh.

Old 06-17-2009, 08:10 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,153,428 times
I'd like to raise a question. Why is it acceptable for someone to say they want to live in an area that's predominately black, asian, hispanic or say there are too many white people in an and no questions are raised usually but if someone wants to live in a mostly white area everyone cries racist? I'm not saying that the poster is right or wrong but IMO that's a little hypocritical.

Old 06-17-2009, 08:43 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,014,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
I'd like to raise a question. Why is it acceptable for someone to say they want to live in an area that's predominately black, asian, hispanic or say there are too many white people in an and no questions are raised usually but if someone wants to live in a mostly white area everyone cries racist? I'm not saying that the poster is right or wrong but IMO that's a little hypocritical.
Well, first of all, so far no one has called the original poster "racist".

Second, I'm not sure what you have in mind when you write "to say they want to live in an area that's predominately black, asian, hispanic or say there are too many white people." Off hand, I can't think of many, if any, examples of people saying something quite like that here. Rather, I can recall some people who wanted to know where there are at least some people of a particular ethnicity (including sometimes white ethnicities), or who wanted to know which neighborhoods are ethnically diverse in general. But obviously those are very different sentiments because they are not exclusionary in nature (i.e., the underlying desire is not to get away from any particular ethnic group).

But maybe you have something specific in mind you would like to share.

Old 06-17-2009, 11:34 AM

28 posts, read 126,026 times
Ignore the race-baiting and counter-race-baiting.

Very generally speaking, it sounds like Pittsburgh would have plenty to offer you. All the things you ask about are available in a number of neighborhoods.

But as somebody above mentioned, the number of "correct" answers to your broad question would be too large to be helpful. So...

Where will you be working?
How long a commute would satisfy you?
Public transportation a must?
Walkable neighborhood with lots of amenities, or is car-reliant okay?
What amenities do you need/desire?
What is your price range?

That info can help narrow it down to probably 3 or 4 good areas to choose from.

Old 06-17-2009, 03:32 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,815,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post
You sound like a very sheltered couple. You'll fit right in here in the 'burgh.
Lol! Yeah, I have to agree.

Try the suburbs north, south and west of the city if you are looking for mostly white neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh