Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2009, 07:51 PM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,272 posts, read 3,707,961 times

Advertisements

This weather is unreal - I havn't seen storms like this in years. I live in the East suburbs and the flooding is crazy! Wild lightning and drenching rain. Many streets are like rivers - anybody have any stories or pics from the storm?

There are some pretty insane pics on TV from around town - looks like most of the damage is from flash flooding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2009, 05:20 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
So during the worst of the storm a clog of branches formed in one of our gutters, which ended up directing a stream of water into one of our basement window wells, which overwhelmed the drainage in the well and filled it up like a barrel, so water started leaking past the window into the basement. And we would never have known if our son hadn't asked for a sticker book when going to bed, which meant going down to his playroom in the basement (where the window was located).

Anyway, I spent the next 45 minutes or so in the pouring rain redirecting the water stream and then bailing out the window well, while my wife and son were moving his play stuff out of the water in the playroom. So he got to bed late, but he also had a blast--it was all very exciting for him, and he always likes to see his daddy get soaked. The only part he didn't like was when mommy went out his bedroom window to the porch roof to unclog the gutter (he is much more protective of mommy).

Old 06-18-2009, 06:08 AM

1,142 posts, read 2,816,166 times
That was some storm! Our basement flooded on the one side and even our fireplace was leaking. One positive thing- the garden got a great watering!

Old 06-18-2009, 06:38 AM

1,437 posts, read 3,776,309 times
I hadn't seen thunderstorms like this since I left Florida. I live near Robinson and the first storm brought some serious lighting, while a second storm a little later brought some squalls with heavy winds that gave the trees a good workout. Fortunately, I don't think there was much damage on this side of town though, the storms seemed to strengthen as they moved east and just blew up over Monroeville.

It was interesting to see how poorly this area is equipped to deal with this weather, with the topography and ancient sewer system causing flooding problems throughout the area. These type of storms are common in the summer afternoon in Central Florida and people just go about their business because it's simply a fact of life down there.

Old 06-18-2009, 06:41 AM

1,519 posts, read 2,675,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post
It was interesting to see how poorly this area is equipped to deal with this weather, with the topography and ancient sewer system causing flooding problems throughout the area. These type of storms are common in the summer afternoon in Central Florida and people just go about their business because it's simply a fact of life down there.
Yeah, let's just see how Central Florida would react to a couple of inches of snow and some ice...

Old 06-18-2009, 06:47 AM

1,437 posts, read 3,776,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinare View Post
Yeah, let's just see how Central Florida would react to a couple of inches of snow and some ice...
Snow and ice? Just give them temps below 50 and they think it's the apocalypse!

Old 06-18-2009, 09:08 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,053,366 times
I didn't realize the storm was THAT bad until I turned it to KDKA this morning.

I mean, there was some lightening and thunder, and heavy rain last night, but where I lived, we still had power. The Direct TV went out for about an hour, so I just turned on the stereo and listened to music.

When I turned on the news this morning, they were talking "State of Emergencies" in some towns and borough's. I was like WTH?! The crazy thing is that they're calling for more SEVERE storms Friday afternoon, so get ready for Round 2.

Old 06-18-2009, 09:40 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,389,499 times
It started to rain while I was still at work last night, and it took a while before I realized that it wasn't going to slow down at all and I'd have to walk across campus in the deluge. A couple of streets on the CMU campus were flooded, and the pick up/drop off circle in front of the University Center was about 6 inches under water. So of course some kid was doing donuts in the middle of it.

Old 06-19-2009, 11:31 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,646,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
So during the worst of the storm a clog of branches formed in one of our gutters, which ended up directing a stream of water into one of our basement window wells, which overwhelmed the drainage in the well and filled it up like a barrel, so water started leaking past the window into the basement. And we would never have known if our son hadn't asked for a sticker book when going to bed, which meant going down to his playroom in the basement (where the window was located).
We had a similar situation during the El Nino storms of the late 90s. Pine needles and gravel clogged a downspout resulting in a literal waterfall down the entire back wall of our dining room! Luckily it was covered by our homeowner's insurance. We had to move out for three weeks while the wall and our hardwood floors were repaired.

Hope things are ok for you now. I've seen the coverage of the wild weather on the news. Not fun!

Old 06-19-2009, 12:11 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliegt View Post
Hope things are ok for you now. I've seen the coverage of the wild weather on the news. Not fun!
Thanks for your well-wishes--through the pure dumb luck described above, at worst we are going to need to replace a little carpet in one room in the basement. So comparatively speaking at lest, we feel like we dodged the proverbial bullet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh