Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 09:01 PM

4 posts, read 11,667 times

Advertisements

I'm seriously contemplating moving to Pittsburgh in the next 6-12 months. Any idea where I can send away for an information packet to make this as smooth a transition as possible? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 08:59 AM

567 posts, read 1,161,787 times
http://www.visitpittsburgh.com probably has everything you could want/need. Good luck!

Old 06-20-2009, 07:55 AM

3 posts, read 4,885 times
I hate to piggyback off your your blog, but I am moving back to Pittsburgh too in 12 mths. I am orignaly from the Greensburg/Latrobe area and now am moving back so that my daughter can go to the Art Institute of Pitts. I am currently living in GA and can't wait to leave this summer heat. Can any one tell me where to live that is convenient to the school but yet save for 2 women?

Old 06-20-2009, 08:43 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,894,970 times
Try Mt Washington if you want to be in the city, your daughter can take the Incline down to the Smithfield St Brdg and walk right to school

Old 06-21-2009, 08:45 AM

1,719 posts, read 4,181,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSHRN View Post
I'm seriously contemplating moving to Pittsburgh in the next 6-12 months. Any idea where I can send away for an information packet to make this as smooth a transition as possible? Thanks.
I would advise that you ask questions here instead of getting an information packet from some agency. You will get much more honest and detailed answers.

Old 06-21-2009, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebound1 View Post
I hate to piggyback off your your blog, but I am moving back to Pittsburgh too in 12 mths. I am orignaly from the Greensburg/Latrobe area and now am moving back so that my daughter can go to the Art Institute of Pitts. I am currently living in GA and can't wait to leave this summer heat. Can any one tell me where to live that is convenient to the school but yet save for 2 women?
The Art Institute is in downtown. There are a lot of neighborhoods in the city that are within easy reach of downtown. If you are looking for fun, bars, and booze I would advise the South Side Flats. If you are looking for more quiet on the South Side then try the South Side Slopes (but not too far up). Also, check out Bloomfield. Polish Hill is very quiet and convenient to everything. Squirrel Hill is safe, residential, and kind of expensive. Shadyside is preppy and over-priced. Some spots in Lawrenceville are OK, but overall I find it to be a tad bit seedy.

There are lots of options in the suburbs (about twenty minutes drive to the school). Ross and Shaler are quiet and safe. Bellevue used to be but it is becoming a ghetto. This is going to sound un-P.C. but wherever black people live it sucks and you don't want to be there. Dormont is nice, but the traffic to and from there during rush hour is horrific. But, the "T" (the subway) runs from there to the city, so that might be something to look into.

Also, please ask your daughter to reconsider her choice of school. Everybody I know who went to the Art Institute never got a job and they now have $60,000 in student loan debt which they will never be able to pay off.

Old 06-21-2009, 12:59 PM

567 posts, read 1,161,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post
Bellevue used to be but it is becoming a ghetto.
I spend a lot of time at my friend's in Bellevue... there might be more riffraff than previous but it is definitely NOT a "ghetto" by any stretch of the imagination! I personally think it's still quite nice, at least.

Quote:
I would advise that you ask questions here instead of getting an information packet from some agency. You will get much more honest and detailed answers.
I do agree, however the "relocation" portion of the VisitPgh website does have more "official" info on things like utilities, movers, "relocation assistance", vehicle registration and stuff like that that if you're just looking to for a "smooth transition" with necessities like that (and have already done stuff like finding a job, neighborhood, etc)

Old 06-21-2009, 10:15 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,819,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homebound1 View Post
what about downtown?

Old 06-21-2009, 10:20 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,648,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post
The Art Institute is in downtown. There are a lot of neighborhoods in the city that are within easy reach of downtown. If you are looking for fun, bars, and booze I would advise the South Side Flats. If you are looking for more quiet on the South Side then try the South Side Slopes (but not too far up). Also, check out Bloomfield. Polish Hill is very quiet and convenient to everything. Squirrel Hill is safe, residential, and kind of expensive. Shadyside is preppy and over-priced. Some spots in Lawrenceville are OK, but overall I find it to be a tad bit seedy.

There are lots of options in the suburbs (about twenty minutes drive to the school). Ross and Shaler are quiet and safe. Bellevue used to be but it is becoming a ghetto. This is going to sound un-P.C. but wherever black people live it sucks and you don't want to be there. Dormont is nice, but the traffic to and from there during rush hour is horrific. But, the "T" (the subway) runs from there to the city, so that might be something to look into.

Also, please ask your daughter to reconsider her choice of school. Everybody I know who went to the Art Institute never got a job and they now have $60,000 in student loan debt which they will never be able to pay off.

Thanks for the racist generalization.

Old 06-22-2009, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
Thanks for the racist generalization.
No problem. I guess I am a racist because I desire to live in a neighborhood where there aren't drug deals in front of my house and gunshots going off every night. *shrug*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh