Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 08:49 PM

15 posts, read 36,359 times

Advertisements

I am moving a young family of 4 to the Pittsburgh area this fall. We are looking for a neighborhood that is not of the "cookie cutter" variety. Somewhere that gives us a backyard that you can kick a soccer ball around and not hear your neighbor ask for the salt at dinner time. A neighborhood that is friendly, has kids in it and has a quality school system. IS THIS POSSIBLE??????? The realtor that I recently spoke with south of Pittsburgh said it is quite rare!! HELP!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 08:59 PM

1,719 posts, read 4,182,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DunkinBee View Post
I am moving a young family of 4 to the Pittsburgh area this fall. We are looking for a neighborhood that is not of the "cookie cutter" variety. Somewhere that gives us a backyard that you can kick a soccer ball around and not hear your neighbor ask for the salt at dinner time. A neighborhood that is friendly, has kids in it and has a quality school system. IS THIS POSSIBLE??????? The realtor that I recently spoke with south of Pittsburgh said it is quite rare!! HELP!!
Robinson. Kennedy. There are a lot of quaint and quiet neighborhoods in the south suburbs (south hills) that are not "cookie cutter".

Old 06-22-2009, 09:00 PM

567 posts, read 1,161,904 times
I don't know how big a yard you are looking for... but at least in the City I would think it might be hard to find a significantly large one unless you are loaded, and the public schools are allegedly sub-par in many neighborhoods. Most places in the City are which are not "cookiecutter" are older and fairly dense (some VERY) - though I might mention I live outside the city in a town where our houses are under 10 feet apart, and I am rarely disturbed by our neighbors. Within the City, Squirrel Hill might have the most significant yards but if more expensive. Outside of the City I imagine there might be somewhere...Oakmont comes to mind. I feel there are probably places with larger yards in the South Hills (but I am not so familiar).

note: You might also consider someplace near a park in lieu of a larger yard (some here are quite nice), such as Regent Square, Highland park, Morningside (or again, Squirrel Hill).

Some more tailored help might be available if you could be more specific.

Good luck!

Old 06-22-2009, 09:03 PM

1,719 posts, read 4,182,160 times
Oh...I forgot to mention Dormont. It's close to the city, reasonably safe, and has a lot of homes with yards.

Old 06-22-2009, 09:06 PM

Not looking to be in the city - moving to a job 30 miles south of the city and have had no luck in finding ANYTHING under 350k that would be off a main road, some level of privacy and a backyard that is big enough to kick a ball around and not have it land in some one elses patio!

Old 06-22-2009, 09:07 PM

2,269 posts, read 3,801,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post
Oh...I forgot to mention Dormont. It's close to the city, reasonably safe, and has a lot of homes with yards.
Dormont is super dense. Yards are of the postage stamp variety. Probably not what you're looking for. Money will buy you more space.

Old 06-22-2009, 09:08 PM

567 posts, read 1,161,904 times
THIRTY miles south of the City and you can't find a place with a yard!? Methinks this is is impossible!

Old 06-22-2009, 09:10 PM

439 posts, read 1,474,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DunkinBee View Post
Not looking to be in the city - moving to a job 30 miles south of the city and have had no luck in finding ANYTHING under 350k that would be off a main road, some level of privacy and a backyard that is big enough to kick a ball around and not have it land in some one elses patio!
What do you consider a decent size yard? I have a half acre lot in Upper Saint Clair and a house much less than $350k.

Most yards in Peter's Township are a 1/2 acre or more. There are some area's there with older houses that would be much less than $350k.

Old 06-22-2009, 09:11 PM

439 posts, read 1,474,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctoocheck View Post
THIRTY miles south of the City and you can't find a place with a yard!? Methinks this is is impossible!
Seriously, 30 miles south of the city puts you in farmland!!

Old 06-22-2009, 09:12 PM

Perhaps I need a new realtor? But two of the realtors I have spoken with have said the same thing. I am looking for a home - under 350k that is off a main road, includes some level of privacy with some lawn space to kick a ball around COMFORTABLY! ALL this in a neighborhood which has kids around and a good school system. I swear I will drive an hour and a half to work to find this for my family
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh