Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 11:28 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,053,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blewis1984 View Post
So in my quest to find out all I can about the area's neighborhoods before my move in March, I'd like to here from the members of this forum. I want to hear real, first hand reviews of their own neighborhoods. Why they like it/why they don't. Is it safe? Is it convenient to shops/pubs/etc.? You get the idea.

I've read the different websites with journalists or whoever writing about the different areas. But nothing beats a review from a real person who lives it everyday.

Go!
I like Lawrenceville because of its close proximity to downtown Pittsburgh, and all the other Eastern city neighborhoods. I'm not a native of Lawrenceville, so I'm sort of accustomed to frequenting shops, bars, and restaurants in other areas of the city, where I USED to reside, but by riding through Butler Street, which is Lawrenceville's main business district, you can tell that Lawrenceville has a lot to offer as far as restaurants, coffee shops, and art galleries. They even have a block that they call Lawrenceville's "Boutique District", which is also on Butler Street, where you can purchase unique, albeit EXPENSIVE clothing, shoes and accessories.

As far as safety, Lawrenceville is rather tricky. Its best to ride around first, both at night, and during the day time, to see the happenings on the street which you're interested in moving on. Quite frankly I think the area, off of Butler Street, from 46th Street down to the 62nd Street bridge is rather seedy, still. Especially Carnegie and Keystone Streets and some of those streets on the 'bottom' by the Steel Mill and by the rail road tracks are seedy too. The nicest area of Lawrenceville, IMHO, is the area, up top, closest to the new Children's Hospital and the area closest to the Strip Disctrict. Put it this way, anything off of Butler Street, past 46th Street, going towards downtown Pittsburgh, is a lot nicer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 04:59 PM

84 posts, read 411,413 times
I live in Highland Park, on the border of East Liberty (I live on Stanton). I love it here, a lot of people I work with say I live in the "ghetto" but it isn't at all. I have nice neighbors, I live close to a pharmacy and right near two major bus stops, I live close to everything (within 15-20 min. of the waterfront, oakland, Pittsburgh mills mall, waterworks in Fox Chapel)....Granted there are times I wouldn't walk through East Liberty but I haven't had many problems where I live right now. My car has been attempted to be broken into but that can happen anywhere in the city. I love how close we are to everything. It's within 2 miles of Shadyside and there are lots of shops in East Lib. like whole foods, market district, borders, etc. so I really enjoy where I live, despite what people say about East Liberty.

Old 07-11-2009, 01:23 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,036,357 times
I just have to say Highland Park is definitely not in the ghetto. Lincoln-Lemington is the ghetto.

Old 07-11-2009, 01:30 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,036,357 times
I live in Shadyside. It's a great neighborhood, but I live on the edge close to North Oakland, which is not as nice. There are a lot of beautiful brick mansions and large homes with nice, tree-lined yards and wide streets, however some of these homes are not well-maintained and have been split up into apartments for college kids and run down. There is a lot of Victorian architecture in this neighborhood, which I love. Shadyside has a nice little commercial business section, with lots of high end retail, boutique stores, restaurants, and bars. The rent can be very pricey in this neighborhood, and housing prices are outrageous. I haven't experienced any crime. Overall, the feel is a little bit too suburban for me and I would prefer to live in an older, more dense neighborhood like South Side or Lawrenceville, if not downtown.

Old 07-11-2009, 06:05 AM

4,275 posts, read 7,631,148 times
I live in East Pittsburgh (near Turtle Creek.) It's OK, but I plan to move in the next two years. I like my apartment, but I am bored. There really is nothing to do outside of my apartment in my neighborhood (no park, no clubs, no library, etc.) but I do live on major bus lines. That is a huge plus.

Old 07-11-2009, 06:08 AM

4,275 posts, read 7,631,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Mizz Pittsburgh View Post
I like Lawrenceville because of its close proximity to downtown Pittsburgh, and all the other Eastern city neighborhoods. I'm not a native of Lawrenceville, so I'm sort of accustomed to frequenting shops, bars, and restaurants in other areas of the city, where I USED to reside, but by riding through Butler Street, which is Lawrenceville's main business district, you can tell that Lawrenceville has a lot to offer as far as restaurants, coffee shops, and art galleries. They even have a block that they call Lawrenceville's "Boutique District", which is also on Butler Street, where you can purchase unique, albeit EXPENSIVE clothing, shoes and accessories.

As far as safety, Lawrenceville is rather tricky. Its best to ride around first, both at night, and during the day time, to see the happenings on the street which you're interested in moving on. Quite frankly I think the area, off of Butler Street, from 46th Street down to the 62nd Street bridge is rather seedy, still. Especially Carnegie and Keystone Streets and some of those streets on the 'bottom' by the Steel Mill and by the rail road tracks are seedy too. The nicest area of Lawrenceville, IMHO, is the area, up top, closest to the new Children's Hospital and the area closest to the Strip Disctrict. Put it this way, anything off of Butler Street, past 46th Street, going towards downtown Pittsburgh, is a lot nicer.

Where did you used to live? That sounds like my kind of place.

Old 07-11-2009, 10:49 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,053,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre View Post
Where did you used to live? That sounds like my kind of place.
East Liberty/Highland Park area

Last edited by Little Mizz Pittsburgh; 07-11-2009 at 10:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh