U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 04:34 PM

6 posts, read 9,964 times

Advertisements

So in my quest to find out all I can about the area's neighborhoods before my move in March, I'd like to here from the members of this forum. I want to hear real, first hand reviews of their own neighborhoods. Why they like it/why they don't. Is it safe? Is it convenient to shops/pubs/etc.? You get the idea.

I've read the different websites with journalists or whoever writing about the different areas. But nothing beats a review from a real person who lives it everyday.

Go!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 05:11 PM

269 posts, read 984,228 times
I live in Edgewood. I love my neighborhood - it's very pretty and safe. It's residential enough that it's quiet and has low traffic. It's close to the shops on Braddock Ave (yummy restaurants, bars, etc). It's also close to Frick Park which is a great park for jogging, walking dogs, and mountain biking.
I'm within walking distance of the 61A, 61B, and EBO. I love being close to the busway despite that it's kind of an eye sore.
People are nice here and I happen to live on a particularly diverse block - different races and sexual orientations. It's kid friendly and there are mostly families that live in the neigborhood.

The bad parts - the school system has a bad reputation. I'm not a parent so I can't say anything first hand about the school system. My neighbors send their kids either to the local public school, charter schools near by, or private schools. Edgewood borders Wilkinsburg although most of the areas along the border are nice imo.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:45 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,608,582 times
I live in Robinson Township and I like it. It's a little more crowded than I like, but I grew up in southern Virginia so I was pretty used to a lot of space! And compared to the rest of Pittsburgh, we are virtually alone out here

There is lots of shopping here and I really can't think of anything we lack except for good restaurants. Mostly chain restaurants here. The homes are ok too. There are newer plan type homes mixed with older ranch and two story homes. They are building a new shopping complex with a large movie theater within the next year off of Campbells Run.

I really don't need to leave the area or go too far to have everything I need. It's only a few minutes to farm land or town either direction. My husband grew up in the south hills and prefers this area in comparison.

Old 07-09-2009, 08:27 PM

6 posts, read 9,964 times
Awesome, guys! This is exactly what I'm looking for. Keep 'em coming people

Old 07-09-2009, 08:54 PM

315 posts, read 606,484 times
Bloomfield is cool. Mix of old, families, artists, young professionals. Bars for different types of food. Decent selection of food. Close to downtown, Oakland, Shadyside. I've had my apartment broken into and there is some trash in the area but all in all, I don't think I'd rather move to any other neighborhood in Pittsburgh.

Old 07-09-2009, 11:04 PM

20,273 posts, read 30,148,075 times
I've written quite a bit here about my neighborhood, Regent Square, over time . . . so what is a bit more?

I tend to think of Regent Square as Mayberry in the city. For the Mayberry part, you've got nice houses with porches on tree-lined streets, people walking dogs and kids playing Little League in the park, low crime rates, annual neighborhood events like a 5K race and yard sale, the "wilderness" of Frick Park, and so on. But for the in the city part, you also have a nice little selection of restaurants, bars, shops, and an arthouse theater in the small commercial area, and you are close to the rest of the East End and Downtown by public transportation or car. As another positive, I think of it as a relatively diverse neighborhood, in more ways than one: there are people at all stages of life (from students to retirees and everything in between), a mix of ethnicities, gay and straight, a decent range of economic circumstances (although not really all the way down to poverty), and so on. Overall, it is just a pleasant little neighborhood, a throwback to the thriving streetcar suburbs of the pre-automobile era (which it once was).

Probably the biggest downside is that if you aren't in the Pittsburgh part (Regent Square is spread over parts of four municipalities, Pittsburgh, Wilkinsburg, Edgewood, and Swissvale), the public schools aren't so great. The property tax rates are also high in the Wilkinsburg part (although property tends to cost less, particularly in the Wilkinsburg part, which lowers the taxes actually paid, and the income tax is lower outside the Pittsburgh part). It is also a bit farther from Oakland and Downtown than neighborhoods like Squirrel Hill and Shadyside (a group in which it is often included as people cross-shop neighborhoods), being on the other side of Frick Park--although again housing also costs a bit less. Finally, although I think this is part of what makes it charming, it is a palpably small neighborhood: around 2000 in population, compared to around 14,000 in Shadyside or 25,000 in Squirrel Hill.

So there you go. Certainly let me know if you have any questions.

Last edited by BrianTH; 07-09-2009 at 11:14 PM..

Old 07-10-2009, 05:39 AM

913 posts, read 2,210,223 times
baldwin boro
a nice suburb right outside of the city
close to town, close to shopping, couple local bars in the neighborhood
a little pricey for houses but you pay for a nice neighborhood

Old 07-10-2009, 07:27 AM

4,341 posts, read 6,526,045 times
I live in O'Hara Twp. Our house wasn't too expensive and we got a pretty big house with a great yard. The Schools are awesome. We frankly chose the burbs over the city because we couldn't afford a decent house in the city and private schools. We are close to shopping, a Target, one the nicer Giant Eagle's in the city, a Sam's Club, etc. There are a fair amount of restaurants in the area. The commute to town isn't that bad if you time it right. Pretty much everything is 10 minutes away. We are also, for a suburb, close to Shadyside and the hospitals in Oakland. The Zoo is less than 15 minutes away. Downside it is the suburbs and not a sidewalk neighborhood which means that you can't walk to anything. Then again we knew that when we moved here.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:51 AM
igo

39 posts, read 124,621 times
I live on a narrow street near the east liberty / highland park border. Parking is a bit tight so people park on the sidewalk on one side of the street. There are usually a few kids playing ball in the street now that it is summer time. It is two blocks to the 500 bus stop and about 1/2 mile to the shops in east liberty.

Old 07-10-2009, 10:11 AM

25,293 posts, read 27,358,082 times
I live in Beechview. I bought a house in 2006, so I feel like I'm invested in the neighborhood even though it's not the most glamorous place or the first neighborhood that pops into people's minds. It's the kind of neighborhood where there are beautifully maintained homes next to adequately maintained homes next to poorly maintained homes on the same street. My block is nice; there are young families and older couples and everything in between.

I like Beechview because I'm in the city, but it feels a bit more suburban. I have a deck and a yard, and it's quiet and fairly safe (there's some crime, but it's not overwhelmingly dangerous.) The business district is suffering, but there are several community groups actively involved in revitalizing. And it's close enough to Mt. Lebanon and Dormont that shopping/eating needs are covered. I can take the T downtown or to the neighborhoods further south, which is convenient, and the neighborhood's location between Banksville, West Liberty and Rt. 51 makes getting around fairly easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh