Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2009, 06:46 PM

3 posts, read 5,215 times

Advertisements

I have gotten a job in the Shadyside/Oakland area. The location is near Dithridge & Center Ave. My job REQUIRES that I live within 10-15 minutes driving time (traffic included) to this location.

At this point in time we are renting a 4 br/2 bath single family home with an acre of land in Robinson Township for $1200 a month. I do have a dog and we would like to get another one soon so a fenced in yard is a must. We would also like a garage.

We are willing to downsize to a 3 bedrom but would prefer a single family home.

I notice that without paying well over $1200 a month, I am not going to find this IN Shadyside. So my question is, what other areas can I look around? I have been looking on Craigslist daily and am not having any luck with anything nice.

PLEASE HELP! Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 07:23 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times
You might look in Friendship, Highland Park, and Squirrel Hill.

Old 07-13-2009, 07:24 PM

285 posts, read 861,696 times
Aspinwall, parts of Highland Park, Morningside, and Point Breeze.

Old 07-13-2009, 07:26 PM

285 posts, read 861,696 times
just an example - in Morningside:

Beautiful Home close to Universities/Hospitals (http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/apa/1241015624.html - broken link)

And according to Google Maps, an 8 minute drive to Centre and Dithridge.

Old 07-14-2009, 05:55 AM

129 posts, read 408,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarasue21 View Post
At this point in time we are renting a 4 br/2 bath single family home with an acre of land in Robinson Township for $1200 a month. I do have a dog and we would like to get another one soon so a fenced in yard is a must. We would also like a garage.
You are asking for a heck of a lot for $1200 a month for a nice and safe neighborhood somewhere within 10-15 minutes of driving to Shadyside/Oakland. 3 or 4 bedrooms, fenced in yard and garage. You'd probably be best served by using an agent to help you find a place, as this is likely a tall order.

Old 07-14-2009, 07:58 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,526,102 times
I think you are pretty much limited to the East End of Pittsburgh. Is is door to door or door to parking lot? Is parking right in front of your building? My guess is that Aspinwall is probably right on the edge time wise. There probably aren't a lot of "nice" single family houses with a garage and a fenced in yard. I used to live there and the place across the street with a fenced in yard rented for $1200 but it didn't have a garage and wasn't that nice. So I am guessing that Aspinwall is unlikely due to the distance and your budget. Maybe try Edgewood. I think you might be able to find a "cheap" place there to rent. A single family house is asking a lot and then you want a garage and a fenced in yard. Stanton Heights is doable. Not sure if it is considered nice and safe though. I would call it relatively safe but may not call it nice. Highland Park is doable too but you may not be in a nice part of it though. I would call smaller realtor's like Rockwell in Morningside and CA in Highland Park and ask. Or you could always ask and see if a house that is for sale that isn't moving and the owner may be willing to rent it.

Old 07-14-2009, 08:11 AM

129 posts, read 408,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddietrich View Post
You are asking for a heck of a lot for $1200 a month for a nice and safe neighborhood somewhere within 10-15 minutes of driving to Shadyside/Oakland. 3 or 4 bedrooms, fenced in yard and garage. You'd probably be best served by using an agent to help you find a place, as this is likely a tall order.
Just to follow up on this post, Dithridge and Center is sort of smack dab in the middle of things. With traffic, sometimes it can take 15 minutes to get from Shadyside to Oakland. Even without traffic, there's a lot of lights. If it's door-to-door time, you are very limited in where you can live.

Old 07-14-2009, 08:56 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,148,549 times
For the record, it's Centre here. We also have the Oxford Centre and the Warner Centre in Downtown. I hope the area uses centre also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh