Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 07:09 PM

1,104 posts, read 2,590,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I'd be terrified of that. Another death trap is putting glass block windows in the basement.
That's when a crowbar comes in handy, also to deal with the burglars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 07:28 PM

712 posts, read 1,970,142 times
After fighting the swine flu for the past two weeks, I finally finished a project on my own home - Refurbishing wrought iron railing that went down my stairs on the outside of my house.

I spent $90 and 25 hours of my time to refurbish two railings that were each about 10 feet long.

While I was at a couple of building centers I inquired about buying some new 1 1/4 floor flanges - The original ones were made of aluminum and mine were broke.

I came to find out that something that cost a dollar or two 30 years ago is now $10 each and you have to special order it.

The only thing I will say about trying to put bars on your windows is - the word good and the word cheap is not going to be in the same sentence when it comes time to buy it.

If I spent the equivalent of $400 to repair something that cost $20 - 30 years ago, how much do you figure they cost today?

If those bars were $50 each - 30 years ago, you are now going to pay $300 each for them. 10 windows x $300 = $3000.00

My question to you is - if it cost $2 a foot for the steel bars and it costs $80 a hour for the labor - shop time, and it takes 5 hours to make one set of bars, how much do you figure it is going to cost by the time the guy welds them and paints then and delivers them and installs them?

I would second the motion for moving to a better neighborhood.

Old 10-30-2009, 04:56 AM

2,269 posts, read 3,798,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Internet Superman View Post
I would second the motion for moving to a better neighborhood.
If you live inside of a city, there is always going to be some level of crime. The poster may prefer living in a super urban, rowhouse type neighborhood with amenities within walking distance. These areas are all deep inside of the city limits, and crime is something you have to deal with.

Old 10-30-2009, 08:12 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,535,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heydade View Post
dont get iron bars...they are a death trap in a fire
Most iron bars have a quick release to escape in case of fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I'd be terrified of that. Another death trap is putting glass block windows in the basement.
Most basements that have glass block windows usually have a man door exit. Glass block windows in the basement are excellent at keeping burglars OUT. When is the last time you heard of anyone jumping out of a basement window to escape a fire?

Old 10-30-2009, 08:21 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,997,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Most basements that have glass block windows usually have a man door exit.
That's probably because glass block companies warn people that they can't have all glass block windows in the basement if there's no other exit outside.

My basement is completely underground. There is no outside door exit. I know many people who have basements like mine.

Quote:
When is the last time you heard of anyone jumping out of a basement window to escape a fire?
You wouldn't hear about it because it's not life threatening like jumping out of a second story window.

It's possible to be in the basement when a fire occurs. If you can't get up the stairs, you're in serious trouble if the only exits are glass block windows.

Old 10-30-2009, 09:12 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,535,105 times
So you can easily crawl out of your basement window?

Old 10-30-2009, 09:16 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,997,463 times
Quote:
So you can easily crawl out of your basement window?
I wouldn't be able to crawl out of them if they were all glass block!

As for window height, I wouldn't say that it would be easy, but it's definitely doable.

Old 10-31-2009, 09:19 AM

15 posts, read 50,229 times
Have you checked the actual crime statistics for Lawrenceville? Is there really that much of a threat of break ins? Window bars usually tend to just give an impression of a crime ridden area to any visitors who come and to the neighborhoods own population. This does nothing to help the neighborhood to start moving up. My advice would be to save your money, unless of course it is completely ornamental and then that is up to you.

Old 10-31-2009, 09:52 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,573,812 times
People, once again the OP hasn't indicated he wants the bars due to "high crime." In many historic neighborhoods some people find them to have a charming historic appeal to them (including myself). I've seen some beautiful ones in DC and Brooklyn (in the BETTER neighborhoods of each).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh