Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2009, 03:16 PM

117 posts, read 419,371 times

Advertisements

- now there's a real move!! We're a family of four with a 6 year old daughter heading into first grade, and a 2-year old son looking for a good day care facility. My wife will be heading back into the work force for the first time since our daughter was born, so she needs leads into the legal secretary field. She was last an operations manager for a small law firm in Houston.
I'm looking for any and all information about the area -
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2009, 04:34 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,154,568 times
Welcome to Pittsburgh! And its been about 15 years since we have hit 100 (knock on wood so it stays that way) unlike every other day there! The climate is much colder and snowier obvously here than down there and that may be welcome or not to you. It really isn't a big deal however since winters can be much worse only 50 miles north of here.

I'm not sure about day cares in that area but you can go on yellow book.com and find a few and there is also Kindercare (sp) and they have locations around the area. You'll be in the Carlynton School District which is a small district so your child should get more attention. Also unlike in Texas, Pittsburgh schools don't have a lot of ESL speakers so districts don't have to spend money or time on them. For shopping since you are in Carnegie you'll find it convient to go out to Robinson and North Fayette which will have all your needs.

Good luck!

Old 07-20-2009, 06:48 AM

14 posts, read 53,536 times
I currently live in Carnegie, and we love the area. We live right below the park. Carnegie is about 10 minutes away from Bethel Park, Robinson, and Pittsburgh, and about 2-3 mins away from greentree and dormont so I am sure you will not have a hard time finding anything that you need. Some parts of Carnegie are a little bit questionable but for the most part it is a very nice area to live.

Old 07-20-2009, 10:34 AM

117 posts, read 419,371 times
Good information - we're moving just across the railroad tracks adjacent to that park. Good spot?

Old 07-20-2009, 10:47 AM

129 posts, read 408,287 times
Your wife's best sources for jobs would be the Pittsburgh Legal Journal (there's usually classified ads looking for legal secretaries) and getting work through a temp agency. Working as a temp will help her learn the legal market and help her make some contacts with local firms.

If she is looking for work as a legal secretary (as opposed to as an office manager), she will need to learn about Pennsylvania civil procedure- the forms of various pleadings, etc. Again, temp work will help her learn this, or perhaps there's some sort of course offered by one of the local schools?

There's also the Pittsburgh Legal Administrators Association - Pittsburgh Legal Administrators Association - Home Not sure if they'd be of any help, but she might be able to find someone to contact through there.

I speak from experience in saying that a good legal secretary is worth their weight in gold!

Carnegie is a great location from an accessibility standpoint. You're so close to 279 and 79, it makes getting places much quicker!

Old 07-20-2009, 11:11 AM

14 posts, read 53,536 times
Jimbo,

That is a great spot. I also live behind the park. It is a very good part of Carnegie to live in. You will be very happy there I am sure. You are only minutes away from greentree which has a lot of restaurants, gyms, shopping, etc. Carnegie Park is also a great place to take the children to play so I am sure you will really enjoy your proximity to the park as well. Let me know if you have any other questions about the area as we will practically be neighbors
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh