Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2009, 04:18 PM

381 posts, read 1,365,766 times

Advertisements

My DH has been having to travel to Pittsburgh frequently for work this summer. I think next time he goes, the kids and I will tag along to break up our summer.

What's would you recommend doing with a 3 year old girl and 6 year old boy? Anything Lego, Star Wars, or Indiana Jones related? LOL

We'll probably be there 4ish days. One day will go to visit a good friend of mine who lives a couple hours away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 04:23 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,592,650 times
You could try the Children's Museum on the northside. There's also fun for kids at the Science Center or the Zoo/aquarium.

Old 07-21-2009, 04:57 PM

27 posts, read 50,422 times
There's a robot exhibit at the Science Museum and has C-3PO and R2D2 (to look at, not play with.) My kids also like the Aviary, which has a great penguin exhibit and an outdoor free flight show where the Really Big Birds Fly Right Over Your Head.

Old 07-21-2009, 05:00 PM

269 posts, read 1,054,796 times
Definitely the children's museum! Sandcastle (water park) /Kennywood (historic amusement park) have good things for children. Depending on when you're here, there might be a festival or something like that. There are a lot of outdoors things to do - rent bikes and ride on one of the riverfront trails (they might have the bikes where the toddlers sit on the back or get trailed behind). There is also the zoo which has a children section I think. And of course Schenley Park has a zillion playgrounds (and public pool).

Old 07-21-2009, 07:58 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,014,869 times
The Children's Museum is designed for children, of course. My very active three-year-old boy also likes the Zoo and several local playgrounds--what he calls The Dinosaur Park in Schenley (with some nice views) and The Blue Slide Park in Frick (which a neat concrete slide) are his favorites, as well as The Purple Slide Park in our neighborhood (which has ice cream across the street). The Frick Art & Historical Center is good for a quick visit (the free Car and Carriage Museum went over particularly well). The dinosaur exhibit at the Natural History Museum was also a big hit (and they have some other cool stuff, including an interactive learning room). The inclines are fun and can also be a quick visit (the Duquesne Incline has access to the gearing which is kinda fun to watch).

In short, there is lots to do in a few days.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:31 PM

52 posts, read 403,767 times
Totally agree with the Carnegie Science Center, the Omnimax and SportsWorks are awesome. I think I watched the first Harry Potter at the Omnimax, it'd be cool if they were showing Star Wars or Indiana Jones.

I would add Phipps Conservatory to the list. What about taking a Just Ducky (water) Tour of the city, or going on one of the clippers? Warning though, with some of these your wallet might take a hit.

Old 07-22-2009, 11:29 AM

381 posts, read 1,365,766 times
Thanks, everyone! I think I can make a pretty comprehensive list from this stuff to make for an active week... We might have to make 2 trips! LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh