Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 12:49 PM

1,440 posts, read 4,415,119 times

Advertisements

One point that might be worth remembering is that I-79 was a vast wasteland when new. Those first few years there was a whole lot of nothing all the way to Erie. I remember when the only thing actually off an interchange beyond the turnpike intersection was a single Exxon station. Now look at it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 09:34 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,222,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
Yeah I'm pretty sure it's near Overbrook where I saw it on the "T".
I've thought it was an uncompleted highway both times I've seen it while driving.
Scott,
That is the South Busway I think you probably saw, which is only used by emergency vehicles and buses, but is a 2 lane highway.

43 does not run anywhere near the T line. You actually would have to travel out 51 past Pleasant Hills a few miles and then turn on to 43. It is pretty much "in the sticks".

Old 08-01-2009, 07:31 PM

191 posts, read 809,427 times
When I lived in Monongahela I used it once or twice a month. Traffic was always very light, and it is overpriced.

Old 08-02-2009, 08:59 PM

76 posts, read 319,193 times
43 is the Western Pa Autobahn. No cars, 1 or 2 cops. Sportbikes love the roadway. 150+ is not an unheard of speed. My friend was at 140+ when another bike passed him???

Old 08-03-2009, 01:27 PM

78 posts, read 217,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
To put it simply, there is so little traffic on it that when my brother uses it to go out to Cal U, he goes at least 80 on the road and never gets any problems but also gets passed up
Nice the autobahn in Pittsburgh!

Old 08-03-2009, 01:57 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,001,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzwell View Post
One point that might be worth remembering is that I-79 was a vast wasteland when new. Those first few years there was a whole lot of nothing all the way to Erie. I remember when the only thing actually off an interchange beyond the turnpike intersection was a single Exxon station. Now look at it.
The thing is that I don't really want any future development in the Pittsburgh region to be scattered out along a new highway stretching 80 miles through mostly nowhere. And I think that is going to be a tough sell anyway as energy prices increase, the U.S. population ages, and ongoing shifts in living preferences cause a trend toward more compact development patterns.

Old 08-03-2009, 03:35 PM

299 posts, read 1,008,752 times
I used it a couple of times: got on at Large, exited at Finleyville. For the 5 minutes that route saved, it wasn't worth the toll. Haven't used it in over 4 years now ...

Old 08-07-2009, 03:34 AM

68 posts, read 124,460 times
I use the road quite often. Sometimes, there is more traffic than you would expect.

I think traffic would pick up greatly if the sections to Pittsburgh and Monroeville are built. But, traffic will probably pick up a bit when the West Virginia segment opens in October 2010 and the remainder of the Uniontown-Brownsville segment opens in late 2011. Then, there will be 55-60 miles of uninterrupted expressway. Right now, though, the gaps make it quite unattractive for travel.

They have to take this highway to Pittsburgh. A big reason for such low traffic volumes on Route 43 is that its (currently) a segmented road to nowhere that traverses a very rural area of the state. The segment to I-376 is key. I hope that our politicians realize that turning back now would be a huge waste of resources.

Old 08-07-2009, 05:13 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,001,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimsmith022968 View Post
I hope that our politicians realize that turning back now would be a huge waste of resources.
It was a bad idea to spend over a billion on this project, but that isn't a good argument for wasting another $2 billion (probably more) on driving it into the East End. There are many other ways that money could be spent that would collectively do much more to improve transportation in Pittsburgh.

Old 08-07-2009, 06:13 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,962,159 times
The road will never be finished to Pittsburgh in our lifetime. It's too much money, and they would have to dislocate too many homes and businesses in an urban area. The East Street Valley Expressway (I-279) to the North Hills was the last highway that would ever obliterate an entire neighborhood and displace so many people so that cars could get to Butler County ten minutes faster.

I agree with BrianTH that the age of the superhighway is past and future generations won't be living like we do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh