Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 07:20 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by COPANUT View Post
My point, LMP, is racism is everywhere, not just in the South. I recall getting my haircut back in the late 60's listening to the Pirate game at the barbershop. One of the guys waiting made the comment that he doesn't go to the games anymore, Too many spooks on the team. That happened in the Greater Turtle Creek Valley Area.
Such comments were common in Beaver County as well at the time.

ETA: I watched a PBS show about Roberto Clemente recently that also brought up that issue.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 07-30-2009 at 07:25 PM.. Reason: Add comments about Roberto Clemente

Old 07-30-2009, 07:28 PM

758 posts, read 1,226,296 times
When people ask about a specific area being racist..the problem is that "racist" can mean different things
to different people..and there could be various degrees of racism or none among different people and different social contexts...and perceptions as to what constitutes "racism"...In relation to interracial
couples what specific racial incidents do you think MIGHT happen?....I would say in the East End of the
city..people could care less..

Old 07-30-2009, 07:42 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,314,576 times
The racism in Pgh is not as overt as it would be in other places, but it is there. I have experienced it in both State and Federal offices by it's employees. The funny thing is that if you ask the average white male if Pgh is racist more than likely he would say "no" ......hmmmm why is that?

Old 07-30-2009, 07:52 PM

758 posts, read 1,226,296 times
Perception and denial...lots of public civility here in Southwest Penna. culture.."diplomacy"...Someone
actually told me they were raised to always smile...that way no one knows where you are coming from..

Old 07-30-2009, 09:13 PM

3 posts, read 6,683 times
I didnt mean to trample any toes. I stumbled upon this site by accident and enjoyed reading alot of different comments. I didn't even know how to post at first and was not sure where to post. I saw some other ones in this forum about my question and thought to put it here. The Pittsburgh one was probably a better option. Sorry. The reason I asked was because my family and I will be staying in Washington but will visit Pittsburgh. I just remember about 6 years ago eating at a resturaunt and two waitresses were working. One was white one was black. And she was so rude and was calling her all kinds of names. She should have been fired. But it kinda stuck with me. I don't usually stereotype people; i know not everyone there is like that. Thank you for your comments though!!

Old 07-30-2009, 10:55 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,228,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by awhite6 View Post
I didnt mean to trample any toes. I stumbled upon this site by accident and enjoyed reading alot of different comments. I didn't even know how to post at first and was not sure where to post. I saw some other ones in this forum about my question and thought to put it here. The Pittsburgh one was probably a better option. Sorry. The reason I asked was because my family and I will be staying in Washington but will visit Pittsburgh. I just remember about 6 years ago eating at a resturaunt and two waitresses were working. One was white one was black. And she was so rude and was calling her all kinds of names. She should have been fired. But it kinda stuck with me. I don't usually stereotype people; i know not everyone there is like that. Thank you for your comments though!!

I am sorry, but I do not buy any of it. Like I predicted, you would try to act all innocent. This has happened with other trolls who switched user names and claimed that,"'they did not know where to post." Now it is the ones who see right through this who are wrong for not being more understanding. Mission was accomplished as far as you were concerned. You strirred up controversy. You acted innocent rather than tellling me to buzz off. (see, I am the bad guy now) Your thread stayed at the top to make Pittsburgh look bad due to controversy, but the point that Pittsburgh is supposedly racist sticks out like a sore thumb, which I am sure was calculated on your part. Too many common denominators point to your being a troll.. Saying "the people there" is akin to saying "those people" when refering to minortities. Sure, you did know any better but just happened to take such a low road on your first post. This a troll people. I have been dealing with this for a long time. Yes, it did allow for some interesting debate and conversation other than the OP. It is also an issue that should not be swept under the rug. That is not what I am implying. What I am implying that the OP wanted to drag Pittsburgh down by by starting a negative thread that would get a lot of responses, therefore the "Pittsburgh sucks" theme would be front and center in the bold faced thread. Am I reading too much into this? NO!

Last edited by nuwaver88; 07-30-2009 at 11:11 PM..

Old 07-31-2009, 12:44 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by awhite6 View Post
I didnt mean to trample any toes. I stumbled upon this site by accident and enjoyed reading alot of different comments.
You didn't trample on any toes. This happens anytime someone asks this question.

Well, the back and forth debate happens all the time. The personal attacks you're getting from nuwaver aren't common.

If anything, nuwaver is looking like the poster who is trying to incite a riot here, not you.

People need to learn that playing the race card, even the reverse race card in nuwaver's case, only makes things worse in the world.

Old 07-31-2009, 01:15 AM

1,758 posts, read 4,228,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
You didn't trample on any toes. This happens anytime someone asks this question.

Well, the back and forth debate happens all the time. The personal attacks you're getting from nuwaver aren't common.

If anything, nuwaver is looking like the poster who is trying to incite a riot here, not you.

People need to learn that playing the race card, even the reverse race card in nuwaver's case, only makes things worse in the world.

This has more to do with my belief that the OP was a troll and I was just pointing out reasons why I thought so. In my mind, you are all supporting a troll, and that has nothing to do with Pittsburgh being racist or not. It happens to be such a sensitive topic that I am now the bad guy. Also, I resent the fact that you would accuse me of reverse racism. Where in any of my posts do I insinuate reverse racism? That is not fair to someone who pours their heart out to everybody all of the time. I wil no longer comment on this thread because the OP has, in my mind, accomplished what he/she set out to do. I am sticking to my guns the the OP is a troll. There is too much evidence to support it. I am done with this one. See you in another thread.

Old 07-31-2009, 02:24 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,724,822 times
I think this thread has run it's course. Also if you feel someone is a troll - don't post about it, it will only derail the thread. Instead - let your friendly mod know.
Thread closed.
Yac.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh