U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 05:15 PM

2 posts, read 4,509 times

Advertisements

Fiance and I are moving to Pittsburgh sometime in the next year, but I'm really picky about where to move, mainly because I've had a terrible living experience with our current location in suburban Philadelphia. We're looking for a house in the 300k-400k range. Small town with a young artsy cultural vibe to it (we're a young couple in our late 20s), walkable downtown is a must!, coffee shops, more mom and pop than franchise, variety in cuisine choices (I love ethnic food!), good adult recreation programs (co-ed dek hockey perhaps?), good school districts, low crime. We're looking for a town within a 45 minute commute to Pittsburgh, but not in the city. Is there anything like this near the city?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2009, 05:38 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,351,602 times
Check out Sewickley. I wish I had time to elaborate but I'm sure others will. Good luck.

Old 08-01-2009, 06:07 PM

12,350 posts, read 16,235,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifepgh2op View Post
Check out Sewickley. I wish I had time to elaborate but I'm sure others will. Good luck.
Copy that. Everything you're looking for can be found in Sewickley, except maybe the co-ed dek hockey thing. Co-ed croquet, for sure.

Second place to Mt. Lebanon.

Good luck

Old 08-01-2009, 07:32 PM

1,719 posts, read 4,010,886 times
I truly can't think of any suburbs or towns that have a walkable downtown with a young and artsy vibe to them. The only places in Western Pennsylvania that have those thing going for them are in the city limits of Pittsburgh. The suburbs are mainly strip malls, apartment complexes, modest middle-class homes, and the occasional McMansion.

Old 08-01-2009, 08:50 PM

20,273 posts, read 31,289,676 times
Sewickley and Mt. Lebanon are the obvious choices, but I also agree that what you are describing is really going to be found in the City neighborhoods, not so much the suburbs--Sewickley and Mt. Lebanon have walkable downtown areas, but I think "young artsy cultural vibe" would be a stretch.

So I guess I would wonder why you have eliminated the City from consideration, because many of the popular neighborhoods feel pretty suburban in their own way, and more closely fit your description. Much of the East End in particular really has a college town feel to it--it just happens to be in the City.

Old 08-01-2009, 11:01 PM

Young and Artsy in a high end neighborhood, name one.

Old 08-01-2009, 11:25 PM

20,273 posts, read 31,289,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COPANUT View Post
Young and Artsy in a high end neighborhood, name one.
I guess that depends on how you define those terms. For example, I'd suggest Squirrel Hill, but it really depends on whether or not you think it is "artsy" enough. Conversely, Friendship is pretty artsy (at least by Pittsburgh) standards, but that would depend on whether or not you think it is "high end". And so on.

Old 08-02-2009, 12:07 PM

9,918 posts, read 23,240,647 times
Younger vibe is going to be in the city. Artsy, also, in the city. No suburbs fit that; the ones that are within that distance are mostly typical sprawl. The ones mentioned, Mt Lebanon and Sewickley, come the closest, with true walkable downtown areas, but they are not particularly young nor particularly artsy, not like some of the city neighborhoods would be. Depending upon what your goals are by being in the suburbs, some of the city neighborhoods may be a better fit. You did mention schools though, which we don't typically think of as a better fit in the city. It depends upon where you want to compromise. I happen to be sitting at Aldo Coffee in Mt Lebanon right now. I don't live in the area, but I like this area well enough. We have thought of moving down this way. But then I'm almost 40.

If you think you have to be in the suburbs because of your house price range, well, you'll be pleasantly surprised I think at what appealing city neighborhoods are available to you with houses in that price range. If you think you'll be working in the city proper, you'll be happy with the time saved vs a longer commute, I think, in the long run. (I wish I had known before I moved 20-odd miles from downtown how much I would eventually wish I had that time back, one of the strikes against moving to Mt Lebo.)

For everything that you want, with the possible exception of good school district, you want east end city neighborhoods, it seems to me. Which ones would again be a matter of which compromises, closer to or farther from various things you listed.

Old 08-02-2009, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
If you think you'll be working in the city proper, you'll be happy with the time saved vs a longer commute, I think, in the long run. (I wish I had known before I moved 20-odd miles from downtown how much I would eventually wish I had that time back, one of the strikes against moving to Mt Lebo.)
If you work Downtown, Mt. Lebo is the perfect place to live. The T is excellent, one of the few things that the Port Authority got right.

Old 08-02-2009, 03:04 PM

2 posts, read 4,509 times
I guess my problem with city living is that I grew up on a farm, so I can't imagine not having a huge yard. I plan on using public transportation to work downtown. My fiance will be working in Ambridge. Thanks for all of the suggestions so far. We just drove around and took a look at Sewickley, Squirrel Hill, Mt. Washington, and Mt. Lebanon, and we liked Sewickley the most. It's probably the closest to what I was looking for, and what it's missing in entertainment variety, it seemed close enough to the city to fill that void. I just wish the T went up to Sewickley. I heard they're building a line to go to the airport, any chance it will include stops at the neighboring towns on the way to the city?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh