Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 11:54 AM

458 posts, read 655,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
This is an ancient thread on here, but I have to ask....what would you like done with the naturally occurring hills and deer? That's like being upset about the roar of the ocean when living at the beach?
In all seriousness, I get so tired of people complaining about traversing the hilly terrain. Especially someone who has lived here for say a year or more.

In my common sense, pratical mind, the more you do something, the easier or more relaxed it becomes. That's why I don't understand why so many people have such issues with driving and the natural terrain here.

I drove in WV last night for the first time. We drove to Oglebay to see the Xmas lights, drove down 79 to 70 west. 70 west has some of the swoopiest curves I've encountered on an interstate highway, but I handled it no problem at all. So wha'ts the issue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2013, 11:57 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,480,643 times
How's about everyone just grow a pair?

Old 12-14-2013, 12:06 PM

458 posts, read 655,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post

There we go!!!!!

Old 12-14-2013, 12:13 PM

64 posts, read 91,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindi Waters View Post
We moved to the Pittsburgh area last year. I hate this area. No parking in Pittsburgh, hills galore, access to ramps on highways are ridiculous, the hills are insane, the streets are generally dark at night, I hope I made my point clear. Oh, and hitting deer is another point of hate I have for this area. I am now convinced that I cannot avoid accidents. I'm not looking for them, but neither do I worry that I might have one. Because I know the possibility looms reasonably ahead. I have given up worrying about deer. We just hit a deer and I'm disgusted. I feel sorry for the deer, but I feel worse about the powers that be that are do-nothing nothings.
No parking? I drive from Cranberry to Downtown every day, make stops along the way, go out and about on weekends, and manage to park my car each and every time.

Hills galore...yep, you got that right. You can't possibly move here (I'm a transplant myself who has lived in a three very different states) and not know what you are getting as far as the terrain. It's pretty obvious upon your first visit. Why is driving on a hill hard?

Access ramps...they can be interesting, but Pittsburgh doesn't own all the rights to ridiculous, old highway infrastructure. Although, yet again, I live north of the city, so for the most part, the highways I utilize most often were designed to modern standards.

Yes, streets are dark at night. Generally, everything is dark at night. I think that is the point of night. You should absolutely avoid Hilton Head Island, South Carolina where I am pretty sure it's illegal to have more than 1 or 2 parking lot lights for every 1,000 parking spaces. That's dark. Pittsburgh and the burbs here are about as well lit as most ordinary places I've lived or traveled.

Deer. I'm sorry, but this is a reality of life on this CONTINENT. You have to go reallll far north into Canada or out to the desert to find life without deer. It happens. It's a known danger of, um, driving a car...pretty much anywhere. By the way, there are other obstacles (animals, people, other cars, weather) that may impede you when you're driving your car. This is not specific to Western PA.

I don't even know what else to say. I would suggest you 1) move and 2) figure out a way to self-sustain within your own home without ever going outdoors.

Old 12-14-2013, 12:14 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,451,743 times
Quote:
We moved to the Pittsburgh area last year. I hate this area. No parking in Pittsburgh, hills galore, access to ramps on highways are ridiculous, the hills are insane, the streets are generally dark at night, I hope I made my point clear. Oh, and hitting deer is another point of hate I have for this area. I am now convinced that I cannot avoid accidents. I'm not looking for them, but neither do I worry that I might have one. Because I know the possibility looms reasonably ahead. I have given up worrying about deer. We just hit a deer and I'm disgusted. I feel sorry for the deer, but I feel worse about the powers that be that are do-nothing nothings.
little known pittsburgh history. we are well known as being a steel industry once upon a time, but forgotten is all the deer manufacturing we did from 1940 all the way through the mid 1990's. And we were also top 5 in the world at raising hills for improving local scenery. Turning the sun out at night is just really a habbit, something even some of us locals are trying to fight. so hang tight!

Old 12-14-2013, 12:22 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,751,265 times
^ LOL. It would be interesting to know where Cindi is from though, and where else she has lived.

Old 12-14-2013, 12:44 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,850,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
^ LOL. It would be interesting to know where Cindi is from though, and where else she has lived.
Ask, and you shall receive:

//www.city-data.com/forum/searc...archid=8199211

Old 12-14-2013, 01:02 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,779,594 times
I'm laughing at Cindi expecting do-nothings to fix nature!

Cindi, my husband is out there doing his part today. He's deer hunting. Try it. You might like it.

In all seriousness, you need to develop deer awareness skills. It's not a good plan to decide you don't care if you hit a deer. That can kill you. I'm serious. 130 people die each year hitting deer. Many more total their vehicles. It's important you learn deer awareness and drive defensively.

What you need to know:

-- Know deer season. It's deer season now. Deer mate between September and January with most of them mating in November and the younger ones mating in December and January. Mating season makes deer crazy. All those hormones cause them to run everywhere. These months are when you need to be most cautious.

-- Deer are usually on the move at night. They are most active at sunset until midnight and in the morning dawn. These are the hours you need to be most cautious. Use your high beams during twilight whenever possible.

-- Peripheral vision. As you drive down the road, you need to use your peripheral vision and constantly scan both sides of the road. You won't see them, but you may see movement or the lights of their eyes.

-- Understand that deer are stupid. They go into a trance when they see your headlights. They will stand in the middle of the road staring at your headlights. They're not going to move. If they are afraid, they will change direction. They are very unpredictable. Stopping is your best option.

-- Deer travel together. If you see deer standing near the road, slow down. They can jump out at any moment. If one crosses the road, others will likely follow. They don't pay attention to their surroundings. Stop. Blow your horn to scare off any others. Wait a few seconds and proceed with caution. Deer can literally run into the side of your vehicle or on your roof.

-- Did I mention SLOW DOWN?

It's very possible to live your whole life here and never hit a deer. However, even the most deer alert drivers can hit deer because they can jump out at the last minute when there is no stopping distance. I've only hit one in my many decades of driving. It was minor because I was going slow when it happened. Unless you're driving a tractor trailer, I don't recommend planning to hit deer. Tractor trailers can plow right though a deer without an accident. The deer pretty much explode into pieces. But cars, SUVs, vans, and pickup trucks can end up in fatal accidents.

Old 12-14-2013, 01:41 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,897,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Amen. I love when people say "oh San Fran, LA, or Seattle is just as hilly blah blah blah". Then when they move here, all they b**** about is how steep and terrible our roads are. I thought it was pretty much the same?....

Old 12-14-2013, 04:49 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,578,111 times
Quote:
I have lived here for 15 years and the only accident have been in in all that time was a minor fender bender due to poor judgement on the part of the guy turning left across three lanes of traffic who hit me. The dark the deer and the hills and even the weather, lack of road treatment in snow storms or potholes have never been a problem. And I put about 1500 miles on my car every month.

I do like this thread though. Glad it came to the surface. It made for an interesting read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh