Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 03:22 PM

6,598 posts, read 8,924,542 times

Advertisements

Anybody know of dealerships that guarantee financing around Pittsburgh? I've only found one, and they don't have any cars that interest me. I just graduated college so my short job history and total lack of credit cards it outweighing my 696 credit score. I've applied for used and new loans at at least 8 or 9 places (banks and dealers) and haven't gotten a loan from any.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 04:16 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,699,807 times
Stop applying for so many loans. You're only dragging your credit score down lower everytime someone checks it.

If you have a job, there's a place in Lawrenceville. I'll find out the name for you.

Old 08-05-2009, 04:20 PM

Tex's Auto Sales
5250 Butler St
Pittsburgh, PA 15201-2600
(412) 781-3333

Old 08-05-2009, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Stop applying for so many loans. You're only dragging your credit score down lower everytime someone checks it.

If you have a job, there's a place in Lawrenceville. I'll find out the name for you.
Not true, you have a 2 or 4 week period where you can apply for as many of the same type of loan as you want and it only appears on your credit once. Either way, if I don't apply how can I get approved? (sounds like a gambler, if I don't play then how can I win! )

Lawrenceville would be great, I'm really nearby.

Old 08-05-2009, 05:02 PM

With no credit, you'll only qualify for high interest loans on a used car.

You need to start somewhere so you can buy what you want someday.

I hope you find one there you like. Used car lots that guarantee financing are limited.

Make sure you only do a deal with someone who is securing a real loan for you from some sort of lending institution (most likely a high interest place).

Some used car businessmen will self finance, but that type of deal won't help you establish credit.

Old 08-05-2009, 05:50 PM

Good point, thanks for your help.

Old 08-05-2009, 08:52 PM

29,645 posts, read 34,145,366 times
It might be worth it for you to get a credit card, just to establish a credit background. If you use it solely for something like groceries or gas/car maintenance and pay it off every month, it'll help you in the long run.

Old 08-06-2009, 09:39 AM

1,440 posts, read 4,400,664 times
There are a few south of the city that have such a program. The downside is you indeed will get hit with a higher rate and they require you to purchase a warranty in order to get the loan. The dealer gets a fee from the loan/warranty company which is probably the only reason they sign up for the program. You'll also be dealing with flatbed dodgers or retired street hookers. In plain language, cars one step away from the junkyard or lots of hard and heavy miles.

You may have to go the buy here pay here route. Usually half down and a bi-weekly or monthly payment. It may not help you build credit but you'll have wheels under you.

And maybe just a little advice, in your situation I wouldn't worry about what grabs your eye. What you're looking for is something reasonably priced in good condition that will last a couple of years until you get better established. That basic plain jane four door driven by suburbamom will likely be a better choice than the sparkling two door with the fancy paint and five speed driven by little Jimmy during his junior year in high school.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
It might be worth it for you to get a credit card, just to establish a credit background. If you use it solely for something like groceries or gas/car maintenance and pay it off every month, it'll help you in the long run.
It probably would have helped 3 or 4 years ago, I'm not sure it would be AS helpful now since I'll have student loans coming up soon (and hopefully a car payment). I might shop around for some after I get the car situation figured out, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzwell View Post
There are a few south of the city that have such a program. The downside is you indeed will get hit with a higher rate and they require you to purchase a warranty in order to get the loan. The dealer gets a fee from the loan/warranty company which is probably the only reason they sign up for the program. You'll also be dealing with flatbed dodgers or retired street hookers. In plain language, cars one step away from the junkyard or lots of hard and heavy miles.

You may have to go the buy here pay here route. Usually half down and a bi-weekly or monthly payment. It may not help you build credit but you'll have wheels under you.

And maybe just a little advice, in your situation I wouldn't worry about what grabs your eye. What you're looking for is something reasonably priced in good condition that will last a couple of years until you get better established. That basic plain jane four door driven by suburbamom will likely be a better choice than the sparkling two door with the fancy paint and five speed driven by little Jimmy during his junior year in high school.
Thanks, do you know the names of any of the ones south of the city? I've only found All Pro Auto Mall in that direction, Tex's listed above, and North Hills Auto Mall (which seems to be one step INTO the junkyard)

Old 08-06-2009, 10:20 AM

29,645 posts, read 34,145,366 times
There's a JD Byrider on West LIberty Ave, but I don't know if that's what you're looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh